Sound Card Performance Query?

Hi

I have recently got my rig together first time without any issues (*touch wood*) as i have researched on quite a bit of material, which thankfully i have followed that has made this install one of the easiest motherboards, i have installed in a long time.

Thankfully i have not experienced any of the troubles that seem to be plaguing some people.

One thing i have noticed is that sometimes (quite rarley) particularly online gaming in CSS say that if there a huge explosion or series of explosion while there intense animation for gunfire exchange my system would hang or stutter for a second or 2 before it catches up and play the actual sound.

Was just thinking along the lines that because i am using the onboard sound via the Karajan module, would this involve using a small amount of CPU resources that already taxed at the precise moment, that could explain why it takes a very small duration to catch up before playing the sound.

My query is that if i stopped using the onboard sound and used a PCI sound card

instead would that make a difference in performance, with seperate hardware device you would have that it should give me a better overall performance.?

In the meantime I have just upgraded to the Nvidia sound driver instead of the Realtek one to see if it makes a difference first and iuisePCI card as a last resort.

Any input or advise would be appreciated.

Kyo

Right, it appears i am going to have to use my PCI card instead of using the Karajan sound module. Don't get me wrong there nothing wrong with it in terms of quality or sound but i have noticed that it can utilise CPU resources at the most inappropriate and peculiar times.

Anyway just want to clarify, what is the cleanest way of switching my sound device and more importantly would i have to uninstall and pull the module out the board if

i opted for the PCI card? Was thinking just disabling it int he BIOS on the board (under AC'97) iirc

Was thinking along the lines of

1. Uninstall all nvidia sound drivers/software/devices within OS & Reboot

2. Disable it in BIOS (if i can)

3. Safe mode - Use Driver cleanup Util & reboot

(3.a - Remove it physically from the board -(hopefully i don't need to do this part)

4. Boot up OS without Karajan or any audio devices

5. Power down and install card and then norm Drivers/software accordingly

Was thinking i could leave the Audio codec intact or should i remove that also and start afresh?

Phew - that was a job, I thought it would take me 5 mins to do but it took me a lot longer than that. The biggest problem was getting the Karajan Module off. It took 2 of us to get the thing off without damaging the board.

Anyway once it was off it was plain sailing. Might be worth noting for those getting this board, as advise make sure you only install the module if your 100% sure your not going to be using a PCI sound card.

RESOLVED.

Kyo

Phew - that was a job, I thought it would take me 5 mins to do but it took me a lot longer than that. The biggest problem was getting the Karajan Module off. It took 2 of us to get the thing off without damaging the board.

Anyway once it was off it was plain sailing. Might be worth noting for those getting this board, as advise make sure you only install the module if your 100% sure your not going to be using a PCI sound card.

RESOLVED.

Kyo

The module doesn't hurt/help anything once it's disabled in the BIOS. As far as the motherboard's concerned, it shouldn't care much if the circuitry terminates at the module connector or within the module itself, when the module is disabled. Might as well leave it to avoid empty openings in the I/O shield.