Problem with USB 2.0

Hello everybody,

this is my first post so be patient.

I have serious problem with USB 2.0. I connect various USB flash cards to my mobo and the problem is always the same:

I have poor write transfer up to 900 kB/s,

I have good read transfer up to 15000 kB/s.

I read all treads about USB problems, but I didn't find solution.

It looks that writing is USB1 while reading is USB2.

Atari

Hello everybody,

this is my first post so be patient.

I have serious problem with USB 2.0. I connect various USB flash cards to my mobo and the problem is always the same:

I have poor write transfer up to 900 kB/s,

I have good read transfer up to 15000 kB/s.

I read all treads about USB problems, but I didn't find solution.

It looks that writing is USB1 while reading is USB2.

Atari

USB 2.0 has to be supported by the operating system to work: If you already have updated your (XP?) you still might need to update USB drivers. Use "Device manager" [quickest way use the "run"-function and write the command Devmgmt.msc] and open up the thread "universal bus controller"; check what drivers these controllers have and there's an option there to update them automatically. At Microsofts site you'll get information about which drivers supports USB 2.0.

Good luck!

I know that USB 2.0 has to be supported by the operating system. I've XP with SP.1 and using Windows driver. If I change this driver to driver from mobo CD or set USB in bios to USB 1.1 write traster drops to 700 kB/s and read transter drops to 1000 kB/s.

So it looks that windows driver support USB 2.0. (Microsoft claim that SP1 is enough for USB 2.0). Maybe it's a matter of BIOS or something else?

I connect various USB flash cards to my mobo and the problem is always the same:

Since you actually do refer to a USB device, have you checked its specification? As I understand it transfer rate is one thing, and your device's read and write speed something else. You have the same issue about harddrives: my SATA II 3G is still limited by read and write speed. So as far as my poor knowledge goes you will always be limited by then hardware in the end of the chain.

I had the same problem and I went into system properties under hardware/device manager and deleted the USB drivers then rebooted and XP installed the proper drivers.

This comment remindes me - if actually it's the drivers which are causing the slowdown - that I had to update the USB drivers even though I had a XP updated to SP2. For some reason the USB drivers was still looked to the old 1.1 drivers, but an update fixed that problem (I think that XP will inform you though if a USB port isn't working at full speed).

XP does say that the divice is high speed and not running at high speed. I was just surprised that XP had originally loaded the 1.1 USB driver. I downloaded the latest drivers and was deleting the old USB driver before installing the new on and XP installed the 2.0 drivers. I never realized how much faster USB 2.0 was until after seeing the difference DLing to my IPOD.