Can't get APIC to enable

I've been having this problem lately with my sound card. It's been taking the computer forever to boot and it gets put on a different IRQ each time. Doing this takes about a minute sitting at the windows starting screen. If I disable my IDE/floppy controllers to free up a few IRQs the sound card goes on it's own IRQ and all is good. But I noticed I only have the standard 0-14, I used to have like 22. So I enabled APIC in the BIOS, and still just have the standard 15. So I've reinstalled windows thinking maybe it has to catch it there. Still didn't work. I've flashed from a modded BIOS back to an official, 6/19 and 7/28, and still can't get APIC working. Have any ideas?

Thanks, {TCC}puTTs

This is a long shot but it might work. Take your sound card out and enable the onboard sound, note the IRQ. Put your sound card back in and disable the onboard sound, then alocate the noted IRQ to your sound card. Just an afterthought, you have'nt got the onboard sound enabled aswell as your sound card have you?

The onboard sound is disabled. Usually I enable APIC so nothing is sharing an IRQ then install windows, then disable it and overclock. This has worked fine up until recently. Everytime I reboot my system all my IRQs are changed, but I still don't have more then the standard 0-14. The sound card always gets shared with the vidcard, primary IDE, or the realtek LAN. IF I disable all the onboard hardware in the BIOS to free up some IRQs and the Audigy card gets it's own IRQ and all is fine. I just can't figure out why APIC is not giving me more IRQs? I usually have 22 IRQs and nothing is shared with anything. I've tried requesting an IRQ in the BIOS for the sound card which it gets but windows will still share other hardware with it. Do the Mobile processors on these boards not let APIC work? That's the only thing I can think of that I've chaged on this system recently.

Also I've changed slots for the Audigy card aswell, it gets a different IRQ as well but still sharing with other hardware.

Thanks, {TCC}puTTs

Apic does work with mobile's, although i've got it turned off as well. I installed Windows with it turned off, because if i turn it off(after installing with it turned on)i can't boot into Windows. Did you try to alocate the same IRQ as the onboard sound?

I think even with the onboard sound disabled there's a MIDI device, or something to that effect,

which still doesn't get disabled and Windows ends up seeing it and either acquiring drivers for

it, or trying to and sometimes shows up as the usual yellow question mark. So, depending on

if you have that going on or not, you might need to check and see if you need to disable

that. I needed to do that when I was using an add-in sound card. I've also had the onboard

sound enabled, and also installed an additional sound card and had them both installed and

working properly, but you'd then need to set Windows to use whatever devices you want for

the specific areas of sound output, input and etc.

As far as APIC with A-XP-Ms goes... I'm using it right now, and W-installed with it on, and used

the ACPI (ACPI) PC when installing the OS. I have also swiched over to the ACPI (ACPI) PC

from a basic and non-designated ACPI (ACPI) PC install also. It does take a couple of reboots

to get the ACPI (ACPI) PC hal set though, and if you didn't do it initially when W-installing.

Have you tried using the ACPI (ACPI) PC hal yet, and with your rig? I've found it to be much

better than the basic/common ACPI Uniprocessor PC hal. Also, with the ACPI (ACPI) PC hal,

I currently have 15 IRQs and some of them are shared and with no issues at all. However,

does that mean that APIC isn't being used at all, and even though it's enabled in the BIOS?

I'll try that midi thing. Have to reinstall windows I have things so screwed up now. :) I normally use the ACPI driver in windows, but I've tried just the unipocessor aswell and still no APIC. If you only have the standard 14 IRQs and your sharing then APIC is not working. APIC will make up to I think 244 IRQs so nothing is sharing with anything. I was on the AMD.com website looking at the technical docs about the XP and the XP-m. The XP desktop clearly states it uses APIC, on the XP-m I can't find anywhere it saying either way. CPUID says I don't have APIC, Sandra says I do...lol. I'll try reinstalling and disabling the midi driver.

Thanks, {TCC}puTTs

Hmm...

I have somewhat the same probs.

I can run 250 with apic, but not 266, in fsb(x2, ie 500 and 533).

It just sits there loading and loading nothing lol.

If it does, my mouse is screwed, and so is the sound.

Try a way lower fsb, like 200 or 233, or 240, etc.

If you can doit then, you'll know the reason why you can't doit now.

My 2 cents anyways ;).

As for the midi...

Everytime I've tried disabling it windows freaks out big time, along with disabling that dumb synth(the yamaha rip off).

Matter of fact, I never touch anythig to do with sound in the device manager expect for disabling...

Err shoot, it apperently dissapears after you disable it lol...

I remove so much when it comes to services...

I just know that I can toss out any ghost devices except ones belonging to the sound section.

You may be able to disable such a thing though, it's sometimes possible, but removing...

Good luck dude.

Everest CPUID reports, Local APIC ~ supported.

As you mentioned though, APIC supporting a much larger number of IRQs than are apparently

being allocated/shown in device manager. Also, I have yet to see (at any given time) where there's

been more than 14/15 IRQs setup in Dev. Mgr. I've also used ACPI Uniprocessor PC, ACPI (ACPI) PC,

and also Standard PC. So, that's interesting...

I have seen, on other boards, where there's been upwards of 20 IRQs.

Up to 22 here on a apic and acpi installed win2k3 sp1.

0, 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 are used.

I'll attach a screeny.

My modem..., using the default driver, you'de get a kick out of the name I got for my modified driver lol.

Conexant HCF V.92 921.6K PCI Modem (Modified)

It's been quite some time though since any isp around here allowed me to connect at that rate though....

Mostly 115k, I thiknk they aught on to me or something, still never got in trouble for it... ^^ hehe(does'nt really help THAT much though)

Edit:

I had to crop it to get it small enough :, kinda wierd but ohwell.

Another edit:

Wnet oc'ed slightly to high, the sound and usb conflict.

It's apperent now why.

Anyways I'm not prime stable, ie only 5hrs stable at 266 with apic the last time I checked.

Though I am superpi 32m and s&m stable.

I'm wondering if I do become stable, if i'll end up still having probs or not...

May be pushing it I dn.

I can allways change up the irq's though.

Your the man medianOCer. It was that "mpu-401"midi thing causing all the problem. Why out of the blue does it start sharing the same I/O range as the audigy card? I tried using different configs under it and just resulted in it not working, so I disabled it and all is fine now. I still don't have more then 15 IRQs but at least the audigy card is on its' own and it's happy :) What is that midi thing for? The audigy card has it's own miditable/driver loaded. Well I'm happy again. Thanks to everyone. :D

{TCC}puTTs

{TCC}puTTs,

Glad that worked for you, and thanks for the kind words. :D

I think it's a left over device from the onboard sound, and lacks

in getting disabled from the BIOS, or at least Windows is good

at digging up things it ought to leave alone, possibly. I've seen

Win do something like that before, and with something that was

clearly disabled in the BIOS, or was displayed as such in the BIOS.

NEO,

So you're only able to get APIC to work (or at least higher IRQ

allocation) with Win2k3? Or have you gotten it setup with WinXP

also? Have yet to see such myself with WinXP, on these MBs.