Sign in to follow this  
evogre3n

Voltages confusion :S (overclocking 3700+ sandy)

Well,

I got my sandy up to 3.1ghz stable in prime, OCCT, superPI, BF2, F.E.A.R demo etc.

The problem is I need to run ~1.6 and a bit to stabilize it here.

The temps never go over 44c during max load... and idle down in the high 20's (SI-120 w/ Panaflo 85cfm)

So my temps are fine etc.

From what ive been reading, no matter what temps I have, i shouldnt run my CPU like this 24/7...and that confuses me a bit..

Because lets say i put some Mach II on it and get it to -50c... i still cant run my cpu safely at 1.6V?

Could someone explain this to me...

thanks alot :)

Not sure what's there to explain. Most if not all of the 64bit AMD chips are rated at 1.45 or 1.5v max. Running it more than that and the lifespan of the chip will be shortened. How much? WHo knows.

Alright, so basically, even if i get my cpu (hypothetically) down to absolute 0 (-273c?) i still wont be able to safely operate at 1.6v :P

Alright thanks :)

I don't know how that applies to subzero cooling. I know temps aren't a problem but I would assume overvolting would still shorten the life of the chip, not as much as air cooling but I think it still would.