Home gyms?

workout? i got tired just reading this thread... :nod:

sorry, i just had to say that lol

its one of my new years resolutions...i will just do my sit ups and push ups...

smithers....r u keeping count?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Milkshake
Hey guys I just want to say wow I wasn't expecting so many replies but anywho I was looking at the forums that Milkshake suggested and I found a postee that is almost a mirror image of me (he's 23 5'9" 270) (me 25 5' 8 1/2" 280) and they sugg'd pretty much the same thing you guy's are.

Here's one of the post's "At this point, you probably know what you need to do. Such as a lot of cardio (bike, running, basketball, etc.), eat less and better (don't get too involved with the science yet), and lift 3-4 days a week.

Don't make it overly complicated, you will probably never want to compete in a contest so don't get too much involved in the supplementation, dieting, training programs that the bodybuilders follow.

Keep it simple and fun and you are more likely to stick with it."

Would you guy's agree with that, I think I would prob do a mix of the running and the biking with some lifting.

Also how long and how many times a week should I do it.

That sounds good. You can always be safe with lifting 3 times a week, just vary exercises, you dont have to get into complicated splits just do some nice compound movements like sqatting or benching or military press etc...

As stated in the quote you probably arent going to bodybuild so dont worry at all about isolation exercises (things like bicep curls, flys, tricep extensions), I think you would benefit the most from compound movements, as do all people whether they are training for strength, bodybuilding, or conditioning.

A mix of running, biking, and lifting sounds great. Don't forget the diet and have fun.

Its good your wanting to loose weight and lift, props for that :)

Guest Milkshake

Here is an example of how you might do your workout:

Day 1: Lift - Squat, Bench Press, Hyperextentions, Sit-ups

Day 2: Off, Run, or Bike

Day 3: Lift - Squat, Military Press, Deadlifts, Sit-ups

Day 4: Off, Run, or Bike

Day 5: Lift - Squat, Bench Press, Sit-ups, Bent-over rows

Day 6: Off, Run, or Bike

Day 7: Off, Run, or Bike

This is actually one I just thought of based on the 5x5 powerlifting routine many powerlifters/bodybuilders do.

Again, look around for a good routine, but lift 3 days a week with cardio and bike atleast 2 days a week will be good.

You might have to work around your schedule, but as long as you make sure to run 3 times a week and lift a couple days, thats fine.

You also might want to start slow untill you get up to a full workout, just a suggestion.

There are many routines at the sites ive showed you, look for one that best fits with your schedule and looks to be the most fun for you.

Guest thespin

If you want to lose weight, my suggestion for exercise equipment is either a good treadmill or an exercise bike (or both - keep it simple - solid but no fancy features - treadmill sturdy enough for your weight - bike with friction strap for smoothness) placed in front of the TV if that's where you spend a lot of time. For a diet, Atkins is a clear winner without having to starve yourself ...

I also disagree with this, the internet has a lot of misguided information and can get lead to incorrect form which is a horrible thing to do. Same with magazines, I will never buy a fitness magazine ever again, their routines and suggested form is Horrible. The best way to do it, is to get this book http://startingstrength.com its the best book ever, it says its meant for coaches but I have it and have learned the correct way of doing it. And the author knows bill starr and all those great famous lifters.

ah

but see

its just another opinion

my opinion is that there is PLENTY of GOOD information on the net from EXPERTS that are just as good as anyone else's EXPERTS...

momma didn't need a personal trainer...she read as much as possible and decided which way SHE wanted to go...I don't need a personal trainer (except for ice skating) as I know what I want to do and how to do it (and I'd rather research it myself instead of paying some monkey $200 a session to tell me what 15 really good websites all already told me for free...)

so

keep that in mind

just like my opinions about the sorry state of our fat lazy behinds in America...they are my opinions and some of you disagree (which is what makes america great!)

but to say that you can ONLY find good, safe, factual information through one source or the source YOU quote is a bit misleading (so make sure you state this as your opinion if it is not clear and obvious...like my opinion of fatties in this country is pretty obvious lol)

*ahem*

i need a cig already

but i have been a smoker for 15+ years and have quit a few times already...I know the routine.

my dreams consist of burning, smoking motherboards that I have destroyed (had one of these last night) instead of having a jonez for a smoke....thankfully I am so sick still that the thought of smoking makes me almost puke (and i did have a single cig after the new year and it made me quite sick since i was already sick with the flu lol...)

ok

stfu Angry you pinhead

:tooth:

Guest Milkshake

That is true, your right I should have stated in my opinion. Just like anything that you can do on your own the internet is a great source, but can also be a bad source if you find wrong information. Your absolutely right.

So... In my opinion, there are many great books that can help you out.

Man you guy's are just awesome, I decided to do this because I'm getting tired of just being "little old boring me" (I've pretty much had the same body since I started HS back in '95, and always around the 270-280 mark) when I can be "new and improved and me".

Man you guy's are just awesome, I decided to do this because I'm getting tired of just being "little old boring me" (I've pretty much had the same body since I started HS back in '95, and always around the 270-280 mark) when I can be "new and improved and me".

take up ice skating, and join an adult league or 'beer' league and be a defenseman...

or take up figure skating and be...the best that you can be?

lol

exercise is the important thing...and healthy eating

just doing push-ups and sit-ups and leg squats and using small barbells along with eating and cardio activity can be excellent healthy lifestyle improvement

If you live in a large enough town you can use the phone book as a tool.

After a serious car accident that left my with torn muscles in my back, I started my own little bit of extra physical therapy using the phone book.

It's free, in your house and doesn't take up any extra room.

I didn't read EVERYTHING :(

I own a Weider CrossBow.

When I started out I was 216 Lbs, I current weigh 150.

Let me say this if you gonna BODY BUILD the Machines won't quite work, they'll plateau at a given point, if your gonna Stregthen/Tone/lose weight, the Machines are Great, Bare in mind you WILL need some Cardio togo with it.

I lift at HOME, I wouldn't want to go out. :(

oh so you don't think I'm kidding:

whiteshirt.jpgstandSL.jpg

Guest Milkshake
Let me say this if you gonna BODY BUILD the Machines won't quite work, they'll plateau at a given point, if your gonna Stregthen/Tone/lose weight, the Machines are Great, Bare in mind you WILL need some Cardio togo with it.

I think you reversed this. If your bodybuilding, you need machines for their isolation techniques. But understand this, bodybuilding is an insanely weird technique, the only wanted result is hypertrophy (fast muscle growth) and isolation is a good way to get that with machines. Most bodybuilders don't train with the most weight possible, but work in their 75 or 50% 1RM ranges in order to stimulate the isolated muscle. If you want strength, you should try to avoid machines, free weights will benefit a lot more.

On a side note, nice progress!