Sign in to follow this  
njswift10141980

Home gyms?

Sport climbers (rope climbers) tend to be very slim and have great cardiovascular. Bolderers tend to be ripped (serious triangles). Boldering is a type of climbing that doesn't use ropes but "crash pads". It involves a strength rather then cardio. It's great fun, your friends will become addicted to it, you can sit there drink beer and get a good workout. Your weight has nothing to do with climbing ability. I've seen 250lbs dudes school me, they didn't even look like they could do a chin-up. What’s important is that you do something that is going to keep you involved and challenged.

Learn from my mistake, just go to a gym first. Weightlifting is hard. A PT can teach you form the likes of which it is almost impossible to learn anywhere else. Swallow your pride and go to a professional. After you got your form down, then you can look into a home gym. But still go to a PT every couple months to get a "tune up", and lose any bad habits you may have picked up.

When at the gym look into circut training. A rutine where you go around a room switching between machines very quickly. Heavy cardio. Although the type of exercise can't be considered "mass building", it will improve your shape and look far more than just cardio.

If after you've lost the weight, you want to put on some good muscle mass, look into super sets and overall failiure sets. You can do a good three day week in around an hour a day! Great great way to put up some raw muscle, and its easier to not miss a workout because they're so short. With good discipline you can do it in 50 min a day, and its ideal to have your workouts under 47min(number varies) because thats when your body really starts to produce alot of cortisol. Meaning after that time more and more of your work will be wasted.

Depending on your genes, food may be 90% of the battle.

Its much easier to have a diet of addition than subtraction. I fill up on rice or fruit salad or something else with no trans or saturated fats(or sodium) before a meal. Than I have more freedom to have 1 or two really good things. But my diet is for heart(and overall) health(and hopefully to help me gain more muscle). For you you could find a similar "filler" without much carbs. Another part of an addition diet is to eat 5 meals a day. When your glycemic index is maintained, your far less likely to be hungery, and GI is important for building muscle too. To matain GI, 5 small meals is better than 3 large ones. Also your calories will burn more evenly, and you body won't have to store so much energy. Diet will be the hardest part, you should change into it slowly. If you go from pizza everyday to brocolli, its gonna be very hard. But if you do it slowly IMO your much more likely to follow through. I think an easy place to start is to sacrafice breakfast for a much healthier meal. Most people are in such a rush in the morning, they won't enjoy that meal anyway.

Whatever you do, you have to see a doctor first. Non negotiable. If you take this seriously from the beginning, it'll work. If you halfass it, it'll be a waste of time and possibly very dangerous to your heart. I've had random chest pains since I smoked as a young teen. A few months after I started working out and eating better, they were gone. And I fealt better than ever. Best decision I ever made.

Oh and another thing, never measure sucess by weight, go by inches, and how clothes fit. And by how happy your girlfriend is. Good luck.

P.S. I guess I better actually answer your question! :)

To lose weight, just go to the gym. Maybe get a treadmill for home.

If your goal is to gain and maintain some muscle mass, get free weights. I workout from home, and I manage just fine with a bench with leg ext. a treadmill and something tall enough to do squats, toe raises, and shoulder and military presses , and the like. Bowflex may be nice, I've never used one in depth, my logic is to use what has been proven time and time again. The bench and squat station and treadmill have been used forever. They are proven beyond a doubt, a good quality for what can be a big investment.

Ugly

I wouldn't do a home gym.

You motive yourself better around people, plus more fun.

Home Gym though = bowflex, or gold gym. Those are good, flexible payments.

I go to LA Fitness, pretty good, pricey, but great, one thing forget the personal trainers they charge a fortune, take a buddy to the gym, get a book, good diet, and exercise!

i 23,000% disagree with this

I prefer working out at home

people do not motivate you...only you can motivate you. If you are not motivated to work out, then its like drinking and drugs...no one but you can help you...no one is going to motivate you to do what you need to do, and relying on someone else to motivate you is just plain lazy.

personal trainers are not needed these days...the age of the internet as well as good channels on television (like Food Network and FitTV etc) give you more than a plethora of choices for you to decide which plan is best for you, and if you don't see a plan that is best for you, you have plenty of research options to build your own plan.

The problem with people these days is they have to find reasons to do things, and they are almost always the wrong reasons. You should exercise to be healthy. Period. It really isn't that hard to figure that regular exercise is very important to the human body...what more motivation do you need? (if you need more motivation than this...then you will more than likely fail as you cannot see the most basic premise of why you should exercise something other than your fist to your mouth cramming pizza and chicken wings down your gullet).

then again, I am old-school in my thinking. We had recess at school 3 times a day until junior high, then we had required PE (Physical Education) class for 1 hour per day all the way through high school. I played little league baseball, basketball, and football, and played school sports all through school. My motivation was that I enjoyed sports, and I felt very good after exercising/playing.

Now they have pretty much killed off exercise in schools...PE classes have gone the way of the dodo, food conglomerates and sugar-based carbonated drink vendors abound like the plague on school campuses, and now we have cable/satellite tv as well as the internet to make us continually lazier and dumber as a society.

The USA now trails major first-world and sometimes second-world countries in both education and physical fitness. We churn out less scientist/engineers and we are now the fattest country on earth. This is a disturbing trend...go to any local shopping center and see all the fat greasy people who have no self respect nor any concern for their health, and then look at what they purchase from food stores...all the wrong things because it is "easier" and "convenient" which basically translates to "I'm so fat and lazy that I get chest pains from standing up and walking to the fridge to even get a diet pepsi which only has 1 calorie and no real sugar so I must be negating all the bad effects of fried lard balls and pork rinds that I stuff my face with all day".

as you can tell, I am highly disgusted with how fat and lazy and stupid our society is getting...and it is not just an american trend...we spread culture like we spread the common cold and other countries are catching it. The problem is, our culture consists of television and bad eating habits and no real exercise (again, unless you consider exercise where you repeatedy jam your fist full of broiled grease chunks and diet pepsi to your mouth and back to the plate again and again).

And we seem to be ok with this...because there's no real push to change this other than small splinter groups who have become frightened by this trend. I remember in school we always had the ONE fat boy, and the ONE fat girl, and unfortunately we all made fun of them whether to their faces or in private.

Now in school theres so many fat kids that the skinny kids seem to be the minority and it is disturbing.

And who's to blame? Why, the fat parents of course. I understand that a VERY FEW people have a problem and their weight cannot be helped too much.

But that's a few, and trying to use that excuse is just wrong (and lazy!).

Take momma (my gf) for instance. When I met her, she was about 260 pounds, and she told me that no matter what, she would probably always be fat because that is just how it is in her family.

I didn't believe that crap, and she has proved her own words wrong...after 2 years of hard work, she has lost 100 pounds and is healthier than she ever has been. She eats a great diet, exercises an hour per day regardless of what her schedule is (if she has to get up 1 or 2 hours earlier because she has a busy day, then that is what she does), and has gone so far as to change MY life with her new eating and exercise habits.

She now realizes that it was just an excuse because her mom and dad were big (and farmers!) that she would always be big. And the only motivation she needed was herself...telling herself she is not healthy, and she would probably die at an early age if she didn't do something about it.

so yes I am a bit harsh...but I don't believe (as many many of you know very well) in excuses, and I don't believe in stupidity, and I don't believe in the whole 'poor me' crap that has become a staple of our society (blame someone else!!! it is their fault not mine!!!).

I am harsh because it I am realistic in my thinking. Being realistic sometimes hurts yourself as well as those around you...but being realistic is much healthier than continuing to lie to yourself as well as others.

our home gym:

Xbox console w/ Yourself Fitness game

dvd player with many different yoga, aerobic, fitness, workout vids

different weights, from the 2lb barbells to the 10lb barbells, with a weight bench coming

Weight Watchers online to track eating habits, as well as sharing workout/eating habits with others

good pair of shoes for exercising in the house as well as doing just simple walking around the neighborhood

good cooking hardware like mixers, pots/pans, buying bulk foods and making things from scratch to eliminate bad additives/ingredients from 'convenience' foods, as well as recipes for healthy eating and building good eating habits

you might not think a home gym should consist of kitchen items...but healthy living begins at the food you eat. Whether you want to lose weight, gain weight, firm up, tone down, bulk out...food is the first thing you have to consider.

the majority of us eat so unhealthy it makes doctors cringe (and yet they eat just as bad usually). Cutting out the crap foods is the hardest, but most beneficial thing you can do in your life.

And being healthy is not just a 'thing'...it is a complete lifestyle change. If you have gone through your whole life stuffing your face with Big Macs, large Cokes, Mega Fries, Super Burritos, Monster Pizzas, etc while sitting on your can in front of the tv or computer...then you don't really have a clue how hard of a change in lifestyle you have ahead of you if you want to be really healthy.

It IS a lifestyle change...you can't just say 'ok im gonna stop having a Mega Fry with my Big Mac and large Coke and Super Sundae' and begin to be healthy...

you have to completely change how you live...including eating, exercising, and most importantly, how you think.

I've love to hear success stories here about how some of us have changed our lives...but I have a feeling it will be just like the Energy Conservation thread I started where I told everyone we'd changed out all of our regular light bulbs with the new compact flourescent bulbs...about 20 people gave it a shot, but most couldn't be bothered with it (just like most can't be bothered to move to a hybrid car or a vehicle that doesn't get 9 gallons to the mile because they think they need some giant Ford EXCURSION or Caddilac ESCALADE PUV *pollution utility vehicle*).

most will eat healthy for 3-7 days, and maybe exercise a little, then give up because "its too hard boo hoo". If they even last 3 days...

a lot will think they can take one of these super pills they see on commercials and just sit on their can and lose weight...and continue eating fried fat chunks topped with lard dressing...and "the fat just burns itself off! you don't have to do anything!".

and honestly...most of us that don't even make an effort to live a healthy lifestyle...we are going to burden our healthcare system because as we hit our 30's on up, our fatness and laziness will cause all kinds of health problems.

Dying of a heart attack at 34 because heart disease runs in the family is one thing...but dying of a heart attack at 34 because you spent 20 years sitting on the couch or at your computer mowing down Greasy Fat Nuggest from some fast food joint and exercising your mouse/keyboard fingers playing Doom5 is just not acceptable to me.

by now most of you are angry with all of my ranting (and probably because you are lazy/fat yourself and don't need stupid Angry preaching a lifestyle to ya). I'm ok with that. Maybe it will motivate a couple of you to live a little healthier...even if means you only go out to the basketball court once a day and shoot some hoops...or take a walk around the neighborhood with your wife/husband three times a week for 30-60 minutes.

or, like me, you quit smoking, which is the biggest lifestyle change you can make besides changing your diet. I'm on day 5 of no cigs, and I can already feel the physical effects going away (being deathly sick with the flu is a very very big help in quitting smoking for the first few days cuz you damn lungs hurt so bad you couldn't possibly light up a smoke lol). If I can make it through 2 weeks then the mental addiction will be broken...but I don't see a problem with that as I am already feeling better (minus the bird flu which won't go away lol).

I already eat healthy thanks to momma and her diet...I don't always like what she makes, and we splurge once in a while (usually 2-4 times per month) on things like Pizza, Greasy Fried Lard Chunks, etc.

I used to be extremely active, and now I see myself getting back into being active. I've got a pair of hockey skates that I am keeping my eye on, as well as playing a little basketball indoors and outdoors, and taking walks every other day with momma when the weather is decent around here (and we aren't sick lol).

I hope others see my rant as encouraging instead of bashing...but I also hope those who see it as bashing take a long hard look at my bashing and realize that there's nothing fake or false about my bashing...its the simple truth.

not everyone is fat and lazy

but more than 50% of us are fat and lazy now

home gym, public gym, any gym...doesn't matter. You can exercise anywhere, anytime.

healthy eating is the first step to healthy living

etc

I'm off to suck down a couple of actifed tabs and lay on the couch and wish I were dead of this damn bird flu so you wont have to read my ranting for another day or 3 :tooth:

I'm on day 5 of no cigs,

GL mofo! I quit cold turkey few years ago. Be aware you will have dreams of smoking behind everyones back. You'll wake up and be unsure if you smoke or not. Very scary .! I thought I was the only one who had this, until I met a heroin addict with the same dreams! Heroin, and the same deal! I looked it up on the net, and these dreams are very common. However you said the mental addiction will be over after two weeks, thats really the raw chemical dependencey and the timeframe is a bit wider. The mental/phsycological addiction will last much longer. I had the dreams for 2 years, which is the average. Thats a measure of the psycology of it. It goes to show you, your still in danger even 2 years after the fact. Stay vigilant for a long time to come!!!!

My brother still chases his slow and painful death. I never look down on anyone. Except smokers, your just idiots. Paying someone to kill you. "It calms me down.." BS, your calm for 7 seconds when your behind a dumpster at work feind smoking like a crackhead, hotboxin. The rest of the day your MORE streesed because of it. No one is more of a tool than a smoker. I smoked, I can say that.

personal trainers are not needed these days...the age of the internet as well as good channels on television (like Food Network and FitTV etc) give you more than a plethora of choices for you to decide which plan is best for you, and if you don't see a plan that is best for you, you have plenty of research options to build your own plan.

I love your entire post except for this. Personal trainers are necessary. When/if you get into real heavy weights you find out how flawed your form really is. You can't learn it from a picture or video. Maybe its fine to be off with youth and low weights, but when you get older you may not be able to maintain an imperfect form. The real dangers is arthritis and carpeltunnel(misspelled them both). Form is no joke.

P.S. You remind me of myself when I was a punk(rocker), in HS. Always ranting against the state of America and its forign poicly, and its ingorant people.

P.P.S. I forgot to mention vitamins in my 2 posts. Good multi-vitamin is a great start. Research that though, too much is a problem for many vitamins and extra's they throw in there.

GL everyone! Working out gave me the 1 and only thing to be proud of when I was a depressed teen. You can't overstate how important it can be.

Ugly

Guest Milkshake

I also disagree with this, the internet has a lot of misguided information and can get lead to incorrect form which is a horrible thing to do. Same with magazines, I will never buy a fitness magazine ever again, their routines and suggested form is Horrible. The best way to do it, is to get this book http://startingstrength.com its the best book ever, it says its meant for coaches but I have it and have learned the correct way of doing it. And the author knows bill starr and all those great famous lifters.

I'd suggest getting a pt just to learn the form, but do not follow their routines as from my experience they know nothing of routines. They will make you overtrain. Learn about overtraining, its not just working too hard, its working too much, its an actual CNS (central nervous system) problem.

So get your form down with a PT, review it with the book, then use a routine from the book or one that is KNOWN to work. Do not try to make up your own routine.

Thats my advice, but again this is for lifting, you definetly have to do cardio. The best cardio is HIIT running, High intensity interval training. Run on a treadmil 1 min slow, 1 min fast, 1 min slow, 1 min fast. You can do 30 sec or whatever you want but its been proven to be the BEST running exercise to loose fat. You will burn more calories doing HIIT than almost any other cardio exercise. Research it.

But remember you must do cardio, fat loss is your first priority not weights.

Guest Milkshake

Your diet should be the most importing thing, like ugly pc stated.

Keep your calories to around 2000 a day, depending on what you ate before, just lower that slowly dont just drop it quickly. Eat like 4 to 5 meals a day that are small and low in fat. And keep your proteins high.

Once you get into lifting, bump your protein up to 1-2 grams per pound of body weight and keep the fat at 10-20% of your diet.

For example I weigh 140 pounds, and I eat 1.5 grams per pound because im a heavy lifter. So each day I get 210grams of protein.

For fat loss do HIIT, do some elliptical or rowing machines, but make cardio more important than weights.

Here's a little word of wisdom from a former athlete.

If you decide to get healthy by starting a workout routine then move on to building muscle mass, please do not forget to work the legs.

I have buddies that are still walking around on bird legs 25 years after high school. It's quite a sight since their legs don't appear to be able to support their massive upper-body. lol

Guest Milkshake
Here's a little word of wisdom from a former athlete.

If you decide to get healthy by starting a workout routine then move on to building muscle mass, please do not forget to work the legs.

I have buddies that are still walking around on bird legs 25 years after high school. It's quite a sight since their legs don't appear to be able to support their massive upper-body. lol

Lol Ill second that!! I used to be one of those bicep guys who only go to the gym to do bicep workouts and bench press. But after learning a ton during the past couple years I've learned that I was doing it completely wrong like every other idiot out there. It really does help to research, and dont forget all your muscles.

easiest and cheapest.

run or walk 30min to an hour every day.

run for 30 or walk for an hour

lower food rations. you should see a 1-2lb a week drop if all goes well

and no food sneaking!!

and since you aim to be fit and healthly. walk/run is good for semi cardio

i lost about 13lbs already and its been like 3 months. so i think its worth a try =]

not to mention my stats are similar to ya 6'3" 270 (before) im trying to hit the 220 area too =]

Guest Milkshake
easiest and cheapest.

run or walk 30min to an hour every day.

run for 30 or walk for an hour

lower food rations. you should see a 1-2lb a week drop if all goes well

and no food sneaking!!

and since you aim to be fit and healthly. walk/run is good for semi cardio

i lost about 13lbs already and its been like 3 months. so i think its worth a try =]

not to mention my stats are similar to ya 6'3" 270 (before) im trying to hit the 220 area too =]

Thats good that you have lost weight, good job. And any cardio will help lose weight, but you should check out HIIT, its one of the best exercises that burns more calories than just plain running. And you can still do it for 30 minutes, with more fat loss! Try it out.

Some good places to learn:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com - not just about bodybuilding, but overall fitness

you can learn how to eat right, most members suggest to get fitday, i have it its a great food log that shows you protein, fat, and carb percentages and charts etc.. of waht you eat. You can post your goals, and ask them what routine you should do and how you should eat. They know the routines that are known to work, and have been proven to work, so they will help tremendously. Theres workout programs section, fatloss section, nutrition section etc... and its a very well respected site.

http://crossfit.com - If you do crossfit its more of a circuit training type but Ive heard of many people loosing tremendous weight on crossfit, although it is hard to start with it usually takes a couple weeks till you can complete a work out of the day.

Good Luck

Hey guys I just want to say wow I wasn't expecting so many replies but anywho I was looking at the forums that Milkshake suggested and I found a postee that is almost a mirror image of me (he's 23 5'9" 270) (me 25 5' 8 1/2" 280) and they sugg'd pretty much the same thing you guy's are.

Here's one of the post's "At this point, you probably know what you need to do. Such as a lot of cardio (bike, running, basketball, etc.), eat less and better (don't get too involved with the science yet), and lift 3-4 days a week.

Don't make it overly complicated, you will probably never want to compete in a contest so don't get too much involved in the supplementation, dieting, training programs that the bodybuilders follow.

Keep it simple and fun and you are more likely to stick with it."

Would you guy's agree with that, I think I would prob do a mix of the running and the biking with some lifting.

Also how long and how many times a week should I do it.