Sign in to follow this  
njswift10141980

Home gyms?

Well my goal is to lose at least 60lbs or so (5'8 1/2" 280lbs) and get flipping healthy(haven't really done any exercising since I grad'd HS in '99) cause it's time for me to make some changes in my life.

Well my goal is to lose at least 60lbs or so (5'8 1/2" 280lbs) and get flipping healthy(haven't really done any exercising since I grad'd HS in '99) cause it's time for me to make some changes in my life.

Well I suppose I should recomend that you see a doc first as that would be part of my job. If he OK's it.....

You might want to take a good hard look at your diet and eating habits. I would strongly recomend that you write down your food comption for 24 hrs and count the calories afterward and see if you are getting the food you need.

Then cut out all food that is processed or out to eat as most of these add lots of fat and simple carbs.

After that I would recomed progressive excercise arobic health would be more inportant than strenth. Walk run treadmill it doesnt matter as long as you do it and do it on a regular basis do it at a pace that is somthing of a challenge but not where you are gasping for air.

You can add any kind of strenth exercise on top of that that you like free weaghts are best and safest. I like barbells myself but it is all personal prefrence. Machines are OK too as long as you dont over do it. Start slow and work your way up.

I have seen tons of people die in their 30's and 40's just because they were overweaght.

Damn right, I've been bouldering/climbing for years. Awsome workout. PS Never do a workout on bowflex in the buck...

i will envy you untill a few years later when i get a body like ya :)

no really.... pro rock climbers muscles are not like crazy big like people on streroids...rock climbing shape up the whole body... you should take a look at them...most of their back muscle is V-shape just from bouldering

The Fat Burning Bible by Mackie Shilstone.

Learn it, Live it. Simply the best diet and lifestyle book out there.

Google Mackie Shilstone for more info.

I wouldn't do a home gym.

You motive yourself better around people, plus more fun.

Home Gym though = bowflex, or gold gym. Those are good, flexible payments.

I go to LA Fitness, pretty good, pricey, but great, one thing forget the personal trainers they charge a fortune, take a buddy to the gym, get a book, good diet, and exercise!

completely agree

Guest Milkshake
Well I suppose I should recomend that you see a doc first as that would be part of my job. If he OK's it.....

You might want to take a good hard look at your diet and eating habits. I would strongly recomend that you write down your food comption for 24 hrs and count the calories afterward and see if you are getting the food you need.

Then cut out all food that is processed or out to eat as most of these add lots of fat and simple carbs.

After that I would recomed progressive excercise arobic health would be more inportant than strenth. Walk run treadmill it doesnt matter as long as you do it and do it on a regular basis do it at a pace that is somthing of a challenge but not where you are gasping for air.

You can add any kind of strenth exercise on top of that that you like free weaghts are best and safest. I like barbells myself but it is all personal prefrence. Machines are OK too as long as you dont over do it. Start slow and work your way up.

I have seen tons of people die in their 30's and 40's just because they were overweaght.

Ya I would also recommend arobic exercises, your first priority should be to lose fat , your second to be strength. It's more important that you lose the weight you want to lose before going into lifting weights. I've seen too many people try to loose weight by just lifting and it just blows up in their face.

Its fine to do both, but make sure you get some cardio in.

Whatever you do, don't get something like a smith bench, or an all in one home gym.

When the machines are guiding you, you do not use stabilizing muscles at all.

Get a bench that has a preacher curl on it since standing up makes it way too easy to cheat and use your back and shoulders without realizing it.

Guest Dynamic

Not necessarily, some do better on their own, freely, no waiting time for a machine and all the nice jazz you get in your garage anyway. You'll need to start a program, like arms/shoulders on Monday, back and legs on Wednesday, blah blah....you get it. I hate the gym, i rather workout by myself and that's why i chose the home gym. It's your choice, but remember if you don't know what you're doing, you can hurt yourself or damage your body. GL!