Home gyms?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't do a home gym.

You motive yourself better around people, plus more fun.

Home Gym though = bowflex, or gold gym. Those are good, flexible payments.

I go to LA Fitness, pretty good, pricey, but great, one thing forget the personal trainers they charge a fortune, take a buddy to the gym, get a book, good diet, and exercise!

Guest Milkshake

For a total home gym this is all you should need in my opinion...

1) A bench that can be adjusted (incline, decline, or flat)

2) A squat rack

3) Dumbells

4) Rubber mat (for olympic lifts or deadlifts etc...)

5) A nice weight set, Id do olympic weights or standard

6) An olympic barbell

7) And maybe a pull up bar

This is all you need to implement a good powerlifting, bodybuilding, or conditioning routine.

Remember the big three: squat, bench, and deadlift

And with those in mind you can pick out some good equipment for home use

If your into strength I would stay away from machines or bowflex (sorry AceGoober) I feel that the bowflex is more of a conditioning machine and won't give you as much progress in the strength or mass areas as the equipment I have listed can.

If your into bodybuilding, you should combine both free weights for compound movements and machines for isolation.

But, if you just want to be healthy or stay conditioned than you have a lot of choices.

Edit...

Another thing to stay away from is the smith machine, I would not recommend getting or using one.

Guest Milkshake
yeah lol. from my experience a bowflex is the best. but there is not best. just best for you.

True, but there are also routines that are known to work (that use specific equipment). For example there is a small "big three" beginners routine that has always shown progress, with the assumption that correct form is used. Right now I would stick to something that is known to work and has worked before, then you can tweak it later on once you hit a plateu or whenever you like.

If your really interested in this stuff Id suggest posting or browsing the forums at bodybuilding.com: http://forum.bodybuilding.com

I post there and get tremendous help, and after reading some great books on lifting and strength training, the stuff said on those boards is very accurate.

So you can go there, post what your goals are and ask what they would recommend for a home gym.

Guest Milkshake
How much room do you need for the bowflex

Keep in mind that if your goals are strength and mass, you wont see much progress with a bowflex. If your goals are staying healthy then sure it will work but its expensive isnt it? Go to their site and get the measurements.

Here is some insight on the subject from bb.com

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php...644&postcount=8

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...ghlight=bowflex

What are your goals anyways?

I am not all that impressed with a boflex but really any exercise is better than none and it is more a fastor of your persistance and intensity than what you do.

The best is free weaght for strenth and everything but looks only lifting.

Any intelegent recomedaton though would require that we know your goals as Moo noted.