game stutters, please help.

Guest thespin

If you haven't yet, try these two suggestions in any order:

1) It's possible that leftover elements of the ATI driver is causing problems (the uninstall does that). I believe there is a free/shareware program named Driver Cleaner that you can use to clean it up.

2) Go into msconfig and in 'Services' click on 'Hide all MS services' and disable all remaining services that you don't need to run BF2; under 'Startup' disable all startup programs you don't need for BF2. Reboot and try BF2. If it works, you will have to try to identify which element is causing the problem.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry thespin, but neither of those helped either. i'm about ready to give up. i'm hoping i can exchange the motherboard without too much trouble. i'm going to try tonight. i think it's my last hope.

Any stuttering problems I had in games went away as soon as I upgraded to 2GB RAM. All the latest drivers and game updates may have helped also but I can't be sure.

I went from the CMX512-3200XL like you have to the CMX1024-3200C2

The default SPD settings are not the rated timings, so you have to manually set the timings in the BIOS. I think the SPD for the memory you have is 2-3-2-8 but it is rated at 2-2-2-5.

The CMX1024-3200C2 SPD is 3-3-3-8 but the memory is rated at 2-3-2-6.

In order for the memory to be 100% solid at the rated timings, you must set the memory power for 2.8v. 2.6v will work fine with the default SPD timings but not the rated timings.

Check out all the Lab Test reports for all the memory on the corsair website. They can provide very usefull information. For example, Corsair tested the CMS512-3200XL to be stable at 2-2-2-5@412MHz, 2.8v. on a DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D Funny how they didn't say anything about testing at the default 2.6v.

my problem here is that it did work with just 1gb. not only that, but it stutters regardless of visual settings. i can run hl2 at 800x600 with all settings on low and it still does it. i've been through the bios thoroughly; i've read all the memory timings guides aswell. regardless of settings, or even what ram i'm using it still does it. may belief now is that it's a motherboard problem. the mb and the hdd are the only things i haven't eliminated. either i exchange the mb for something else tonight, or i try a different harddrive; although i honestly can't see it being the problem.