game stutters, please help.

i realize this problem has been around for a while, so please bare with me.

i've had this computer for a couple months now. the problem seemed to start when i switched out my video card. previously i had been running an ati x700pro, which seemed to do the trick. when i upgraded to an ati x1800xl my games seemed to start this stuttering nonsense. every couple of seconds and only for a split second my framerate drops from the high 100's to a red number (too fast to see); this creates a very annoying skipping or stuttering effect. so far it's most noticable in half life 2, but it effects other games aswell.

now, i think i've tried everything, but i'm still looking for some suggestions. i have:

made sure to use all current and up to date drivers

switched memory slots

tried everything at both overclocked and stock speeds

updated my bios

tried a different video card (7800 gtx)

reinstalled windows xp pro (a couple of times)

disabled onboard sound

disabled sound hardware acceleration

disabled sound within the game

modified memory timings

run most benchmark programs available (prime95 and memtest stable)

played with voltages

removed all extra applications from hogging up resources

used the "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0" command in hl2

edit:

upgraded psu from antec 450w to ocz powerstream 520

disabled antivirus

disable page file

please, does anyone have any other ideas? i really don't want to rma this entire computer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take my advice for the truth. But i would say that as far as half-life 2 stuttering; its a well-known problem and has to do with half-life and not your hardware. In as far as other games are concerned, i have had many games stutter when only using 1 gig of ram, upgrading to 2 gigs alleviated this problem. Also i have a decent machine and having been through x800xl/7800gtx256 and soon to be 7800gtx512 ( thank you stepup program!) in certain setups some games will stutter, like quake 4 should have really not much of a reason to stutter with everything all the way up but it still does. This probably has to do with the fact that i run it in Ultra mode which apparently is designed for 512mb of videoram, although i still dont think that the new 512mb card i am getting will null and void this problem completely. If you arent overclocking maybe see if you can borrow a friends ram to try.

Also try different ati drivers (make sure to uninstall and remove any of the driver stuff from the registry and system32 folder [a registry cleaner will help]. As ATI drivers are known to be buggy.

i've tried a number of different ati drivers, and as i said i even went as far as installing my buddies 7800gtx; and again, regardless of visual settings, the game skips.

as far as ram goes, i honestly can't see that being a problem. 1gb of good ram should be at the very least sufficient. i really can't justify going out and spending another wack of cash to get another gig of the same ..

as far as power supply, i may try installing a new one tomorrow. does anyone have any suggestions? i'm looking for a fairly quiet one that is quality too. also wouldn't mind not having to spend a fortune.

if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. this damned computer problem has been plaguing me for too long now.

alright, here's an update...

ocz powerstream 520 did not, i repeat, did not fix the stuttering. cotdamn i'm frusterated. i mean, i love the new psu, but i want to play my games... any other ideas?

It "DAMN SURE" can't hurt! And you will set for years to come.

Good decision. :nod:

Dave

hey man, i was wondering if you had any other ideas as to what it might be. it's been a while since a computer has gotten to me quite like this. i'll be bald by the end of the year, for sure.