Dual Lan Connections why?

Ok,

So I bought my board for other reasons, now that I have the system up and fairly stable (observations on that coming in a later post) I am looking at the dual NICs and wondering why?

They are differnet makers with different drivers so you can't take advantage of bonding to raise available bandwidth.

If configured on the same subnet windows will always prefer one NIC over the other for routing traffic basically making the other unused.

On different subnets I suppose that they might get some use from having different routes and gateways. But who really segments a home lan like that?

So I ask has anyone found a use for two NICS? Am I missing something, or is just what I think a big marketing gimmick?

they are both gigabit and there are lots of potential uses.

You can connect to 2 different networks with them. One can be for internet, and the other for a secured home network. You don't have to worry about someone getting onto your home network through your internet connection that way. I doubt anyone would actually have a setup like that.

One nice use for it is if you're on a router that doesn't have enough free ethernet ports. You can hook up a pc into your open port and bridge the 2 lan connections. I've actually had a chain of 3 PCs coming from a single ethernet port on a router. Of course this isn't a great idea because as soon as you reboot or shutdown, everyone below you on the chain loses connectivity. Not to mention you're all sharing the same bandwidth from the router.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought you could connect both to a gigabit switch and bridge the two lan connections. Wouldnt you be connected at 2 Gbps to the local network lol? Would only really increase transfers on your home network because your cable/dsl modem is a bottle neck usually around 1.5 - 3 Mbps.

incorrect - bridging it will not increase bandwidth. You will need 2 NICs that support bonding, and even then they would have to be the same make/model (or at least the same make anyways, depending on how the manufacturer designed their products).

Intel and 3Coms are big on this. And usually they are on the more expensive server-level NICs (costs around 50-100 bucks each).

The bridging in XP Home/Pro allows for 2 dissimilar networks to communicate. So that means sharing an internet connection, or bridging two local subnets together so that the two different networks can communicate with each other.