Sign in to follow this  
General Septem

Help for a n00b

Hello everyone.

I recently undertook a major rebuild for my PC. Over the years I've already replaced various drives and such. So, with the help of someone I know, I chose a new mobo, processor, RAM, and video card.

I chose the Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR because my friend was drooling over it. And I can't say I blame him - except for one thing. I'm not exactly a "computer enthusiast", nor an overclocker. I'm simply someone who values quality and getting my money's worth. And did I ever - for under a thousand my new PC will far outperform any comparably priced pre-built.

My experience with building is moderate - I've never really built a system but I know pretty well about how one is - at least physically - built.

But recently I've been reading how complicated the instalation of this board can be. As I said, I'm not an overclocker yet. It's nice to have that ability, and in the future I may choose to take advantage of this motherboard's overclocking features, but for the time being I'm playing it safe. So my question is, if you were to put yourself in my shoes, how would you go about building your PC with the hardware I have? What BIOS settings would you change? Or is it pretty straightforward - nothing I should have to worry about? Thanks a lot for your time.

hi

welcome to the "street" ;)

i think u have made a very good choice ....dfi really has the best 939 mobos....thats a fact

i was just wondering about your choice of psu...TT....but well...2x15 amp on the 12 v rail should be enough

lets forget the overclock...u have the time to go that way.....

go to the stock speed database and try to seek for a config that wil be similar to yours....

of course that, before doing this , u have followed the step by step guide......

after finished this tasks with success then u can enjoy your rig....while u learn the way to overclockit :D

good luck and keep us informed

hi

welcome to the "street" ;)

i think u have made a very good choice ....dfi really has the best 939 mobos....thats a fact

i was just wondering about your choice of psu...TT....but well...2x15 amp on the 12 v rail should be enough

lets forget the overclock...u have the time to go that way.....

go to the stock speed database and try to seek for a config that wil be similar to yours....

of course that, before doing this , u have followed the step by step guide......

after finished this tasks with success then u can enjoy your rig....while u learn the way to overclockit :D

good luck and keep us informed

Thanks a lot =D

I'll check that link, and if I run into any problems I'll let you guys know. My board isn't actually here yet but I just wanted to be sure about what I was doing before I go and mess up a lot of money's worth of parts. :P

Steelballzz,

Welcome to the forum. The LanParty NF4 SLI-DR is an excellent choice on your motherboard selection, whether you plan to overclock or not.

If I were "in your shoes" i'd do the following. Use the step by step NF4 build guide found here;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...nf4+build+guide

I wouldn't ever use a TT power supply. I swear by some of their CPU cooling solutions but I'm weary of their power supplies. If possible use one of the recommended power supplies. You can research those power supplies on that thread here at the Street.

You can use the factory BIOS if you'd like, but the 07/04-2bt is an excellent modified BIOS that will allow for a good boot on many different types of memory and cpu combinations. However, it will void your warranty. At any rate, do as General Septem recommends and review the Stock Speed Database for cpu and memory setups similar to yours and try them as they are verified to work.

If you get into overclocking down the road, you can also check out the Socket939 overclocking database for good overclocking settings (also verified to work).

Good luck.

Steelballzz,

Welcome to the forum. The LanParty NF4 SLI-DR is an excellent choice on your motherboard selection, whether you plan to overclock or not.

If I were "in your shoes" i'd do the following. Use the step by step NF4 build guide found here;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...nf4+build+guide

I wouldn't ever use a TT power supply. I swear by some of their CPU cooling solutions but I'm weary of their power supplies. If possible use one of the recommended power supplies. You can research those power supplies on that thread here at the Street.

You can use the factory BIOS if you'd like, but the 07/04-2bt is an excellent modified BIOS that will allow for a good boot on many different types of memory and cpu combinations. However, it will void your warranty. At any rate, do as General Septem recommends and review the Stock Speed Database for cpu and memory setups similar to yours and try them as they are verified to work.

If you get into overclocking down the road, you can also check out the Socket939 overclocking database for good overclocking settings (also verified to work).

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I already ordered the TT power supply, and I've put my dad through a lot (it's kind of his money - Christmas gift) as it is. If I was dealing with my own money I'd be a little more picky and just go for it, but if it's possible I'd rather not put my dad through it. How paramount would you say the problem is?

Oh, and also, I'm General Septem - he's Steelballzz. :D

PSU - ThermalTake 680w
This "can" cause you all manor of problems,

I recommend returning it & getting an OCZ PowerStream 520W.

Follow the step-by-step guide & use only recommended parts & you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

This "can" cause you all manor of problems,

I recommend returning it & getting an OCZ PowerStream 520W.

Follow the step-by-step guide & use only recommended parts & you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

I wish I'd known this before I ordered it. Also, would 520w be enough? I saw the motherboard requires at least a 480w so giving myself 40w of headroom doesn't seem like much. Or does the 480w figure take into account extra devices such as cards and drives?

Also, what exactly might happen with it? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817153021 <<< That's the exact item if that helps.

OK. I'm convinced about the power supply. I'm bummed about it, but on the bright side the OCZ you're reccommending is cheaper then the one we bought. So I can just tell my dad it's cheaper and he won't mind as much. Hopefully.

You won't be disappointed with the OCZ 520W. It will do everything you need. Exchange and give your dad back the extra cash. He should be happy!

You won't be disappointed with the OCZ 520W. It will do everything you need. Exchange and give your dad back the extra cash. He should be happy!

I think he'll be alright with it. It's a setback but it's better than frying the motherboard. Thanks for the help guys :nod:

The best and most important tip you're getting here, is about the TT PSU. The wattage ain't the issue. It's the way the PSU handles the amperage. I went with the Modstream 520w. It's a few dollars less, but the cables are much nicer. Not like the powerstreams extremely too long cables. Look at the modstream 520 too. It's a bada$$ PSU.

shame you didn't look into the NEC ND 3540-A DVD-RW...It's dual layer, works great, and under 50.00....These days, you don't need a CDrom..You could have picked up 2 DVD burners to do it all, for less $$$$...

You made an excellent choice for your memory, just be sure to read up on how things change when you use more than 2 dimms. If you ever add more memory, do it so you just use two slots, not three or four. two sticks, for dual channel.

Fun building a PC isn't it ;) ~~~~~~ good luck

The best and most important tip you're getting here, is about the TT PSU. The wattage ain't the issue. It's the way the PSU handles the amperage. I went with the Modstream 520w. It's a few dollars less, but the cables are much nicer. Not like the powerstreams extremely too long cables. Look at the modstream 520 too. It's a bada$$ PSU.

shame you didn't look into the NEC ND 3540-A DVD-RW...It's dual layer, works great, and under 50.00....These days, you don't need a CDrom..You could have picked up 2 DVD burners to do it all, for less $$$$...

You made an excellent choice for your memory, just be sure to read up on how things change when you use more than 2 dimms. If you ever add more memory, do it so you just use two slots, not three or four. two sticks, for dual channel.

Fun building a PC isn't it ;) ~~~~~~ good luck

In what other ways is the modstream different from the powerstream (other than the cable length)? Also, regarding the CD drives, this is actually a rebuild, so these are the ones I've had for a few years, or at least one year in the case of the newest one. I also have an external DVD-RW with USB 2.0 which takes care of the need to burn DVDs. Again, I can't thank you guys enough for your help. You've really saved me a ton of hassle :D