Sign in to follow this  
JDMJOSH

maximum safe voltage?

just wondering how far I can push this cpu before I should start to worry. Currently running at 2.9ghz ~1.44volts. If prime craps out at this voltage Id' rather not have to push it any further If it can be avioded. Rock solid stable at 2.8 and 1.41v.

1.55 would be the max i would go.

lost a cpu awhile back, and now i like to play it safe...nice oc btw, hope its prime stable for ya at 2.9 :nod:

Runnin' 2904mhz with 1.500v (set in bios) no % overvid . Cpu-z reports 1.456v .

Have not tried to se if it's stable with lower , started OC with 1.450v and went straight to 2.8ghz .Bumped up extra 0.5 to run 2.9ghz .Gonna leave this as 24/7 , safe volt and relatively cold .34C idle and 100% load rise of 10-12C .

I had 1.65v for a Manchester duel core, and I got 2.61GHz and 52*C load.

I lowered it to 1.6v to see if I can prime stable. The temps dropped to 49*C load.

I wonder what the Manchester duel core voltage should be max. I dont want to fry this chip. If you guys are playing at 1.5v, I wonder if that is because it is a single core or would it be the same for a duel core setup.

Should I be under 1.6v? Perhaps 1.55v?

BTW, it's a x2 3800+ Rev E4

I had 1.65v for a Manchester duel core, and I got 2.61GHz and 52*C load.

I lowered it to 1.6v to see if I can prime stable. The temps dropped to 49*C load.

I wonder what the Manchester duel core voltage should be max. I dont want to fry this chip. If you guys are playing at 1.5v, I wonder if that is because it is a single core or would it be the same for a duel core setup.

Should I be under 1.6v? Perhaps 1.55v?

BTW, it's a x2 3800+ Rev E4

I need 2 know the same.

Well, before I had to be on 1.65 before it was stable. For some reason, I was able to drop it to 1.6v and it is still stable (before it was not). 1.55v still isn't stable. So I did some calculations and decided on 1.50v * 104.8% for a final math voltage of 1.572v. PRIMED at 2.62 GHz @ 1.572v for 12 hours straight - no issues.

Currently running 3DMark05 to see if it can keep going for 12 hours. It's been about 8 hours, and remote-accessing my PC (I'm at work), I see that it's still going without lock ups.

Maybe my issues are gone. :) I hope that it's still running when I get home. Can't want to stuff the whole she-bang back into the case and try again. :rolleyes:

After I find that it primes and 3DMark05 okay IN THE CASE, I will run memtest86 for 12 hours AGAIN just to make sure. After that, a fresh install of WinXP and all my games are going into my hard drive. ;)

Depends on what your definition of safe is? You can get away with 1.65v for a year or two before your cpu dies. If that's how long you want it to last, give it 1.65 and pray it doesn't die sooner. The closer you are to stock voltage the safer you are.

dave where did you get that figure a year or two off 1.65 volts. everyone has a diff *theory* and noone has any definitive proof.

Is 1.55v the max for Venice cores too?

My temps are really good right now, and I'm watercooed so the heat isn't a problem for me.

But high volts and low temps is still bad for the cpu...

I'm only planning on using this chip until summer (ie 6-8 months), as I will buy an x2 or an dual-core opteron when the prices have dropped a little and when I have the cash.

What should be my limit on voltage for my cpu?

I think I would only use the high volts when gaming; when I leave it on overnight for p2p etc I would set it down to 2.35ghz at stock voltage as then it is safer...