IHS removed from sandie 3700+ 2.2

pshootr

did you mod the bracket ? if not, do so...it will get you the tension you need...

good to see you pushed your GFX to :D

Hello, no I did not mod the bracket yet. I would like to buy another cooler instead, one that is more suitable for this. Reason being that my bracket has four small feet AND the larger post holes that the screws go through. I'm kind of skeptical as to whether or not I will be able to shave/sand the plate perfectly even. If it does not turn out even enough, the cooler may not sit rite on the chip. Then it would offer poor cooling performance, and increase the risk of damaging the core. I could probably do it, but I think I would rather have a more appropriate cooler for the job. But I am temped to mod it. I would definitely would want to have another cooler on hand if I did it, in case the mod did not work out. So then I say to myself just use the new cooler. LOL Thank you very much though for your help. And yes the VGA card runs faster now :) Also thanks for that.

Edit: "quote" only if you hit the cooler when its already mounted, maybe it will crush...think about the old AMD cpus...

Ha Ha the last AMD CPU I used was a K62 400 I got a kick out of that, (the old AMD cpu's) :shake:

As soon as I do something about it I will post about it :nod:

Before you go all spend happy on another cooler try to bend yours to work. This is the layout of your cooler, right?

bend that clip to give more tension, just stick your finger on the middle and bend the two sides up a bit. You want to bow the clip down in the center more so it presses your HS firmly against the CPU with the IHS removed. You might have to bend the clip a good amount if you have a large gap, it's no problem just go step by step and bend a little at a time until it's snug, then go a little more to make it tight :D

Don't worry about crushing the core, unless you're a gorilla you won't do it. Checkout the underside of your IHS, that sucker should have a depression from being smashed on to the processor core at the factory.

Before you get all bending happy you should clean your processor die and heatsink too. Get some acetone, a plastic card (blockbuster card, credit card, whatever) and a lint-free cloth. Scrape the residue off the core & any paste residue off your HS, then hit them both with acetone and your lint-free cloth. Allow the acetone to evaporate and apply AS as normal.

Anyway, good luck, you'll have considerably lower temps when you're done.

Before you go all spend happy on another cooler try to bend yours to work. This is the layout of your cooler, right?

bend that clip to give more tension, just stick your finger on the middle and bend the two sides up a bit. You want to bow the clip down in the center more so it presses your HS firmly against the CPU with the IHS removed. You might have to bend the clip a good amount if you have a large gap, it's no problem just go step by step and bend a little at a time until it's snug, then go a little more to make it tight :D

Don't worry about crushing the core, unless you're a gorilla you won't do it. Checkout the underside of your IHS, that sucker should have a depression from being smashed on to the processor core at the factory.

Before you get all bending happy you should clean your processor die and heatsink too. Get some acetone, a plastic card (blockbuster card, credit card, whatever) and a lint-free cloth. Scrape the residue off the core & any paste residue off your HS, then hit them both with acetone and your lint-free cloth. Allow the acetone to evaporate and apply AS as normal.

Anyway, good luck, you'll have considerably lower temps when you're done.

Are you a sales man? The way you talk, makes it sound like such a good idea.

Seriously, what you say makes sense. Not sure about the impression on the underside of the IHS though hehe. It seems to me pressing with exessive force is more likely to crush the core than to immpint the metal. though I might be wrong, I will let you try that one lol. BTW my IHS has NO imression on the underside, just a stain. Anyways back to your idea, it sounds like a good one. I just hope I don't screw it up while bending it. I guess I still have my stock cooler so what the heck :) I will try and bend the clip. I enjoyed reading your post, and really appreciate you eagernes to (help a brotha out). lol ;)

Ok here is the deal. I decided to try and bend the spring clip that mounts my Freezer Pro64. As I was looking at the cooler I noticed that the black plastic nipples that go throught the small holes at bottom arch of the springs, are part of a removable plastic part. Kind of like a shim with tits. DSC00001.jpg

Ok here is the deal. I decided to try and bend the spring clip that mounts my Freezer Pro64. As I was looking at the cooler I noticed that the black plastic nipples that go through the small holes at bottom arch of the springs, are part of a removable plastic part. Kind of like a shim with tits.

DSC00001.jpg

So I decided to remove the black plastic piece and shim between it and the copper plate. That will force the plate to mount lower. I used a plastic cutting board (one of the flimsy ones) cut in to squares and stacked them three high. That gave me exactly 2mm.

DSC00007.jpg

I used Elmer's glue to hold cutting board pieces in place while mounting the cooler. :nod: My temps now are between 7c-9c lower than they were, lol we will get in to that later.

Thanks to: Trol for bringing me to this point by the previous post

I've removed 2 IHS's so far, and I'd never do it to an expensive CPU. Never increased overclocking because I've never had a heat limited OC. Not to say it's a bad idea, but I won't be doing it, not with the cooler I've got (CNPS 9500).