My 1st time "sweet" overclock

evogre3n

After several months of waiting and reading, I finally got my system together, and tweaked it for the last couple of days.

My specs are in my sig, but I will put them here as well.

AMD64 3700+ Sandy core @ 3.1ghz (310x10) @ 1.475 + 113%

SI-120 w/ Panaflo 85cfm

OCZ EL GOLD VX PC3200 memory running at 5/6 divider (258mhz (DDR516))

-- memory @ CAS2-2-2-5 @ 3.5VDIMM

DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Bios 6/23

6800GT eVGA @ 402core/1.1ghz mem

all housed within Antec P180 w/ 3x120mm fans.

Heres a screeny with sandra benchmarks(memory and cpu), CPUZ 1.3 and SuperPI 1.4.

thumb.JPG

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

My load temps after 1 hour of torture OCCT never surpass 43c, I think thats pretty good considering the high clock, but I am reading that ~1.6V is too much for a san diego core.. should I underclock it a bit?

Anyway, I just wanted to show you all my success after reading all the articles here and getting users opinions and help.

note - i havent primed it yet, will do tonight, but 1 hour OCCT torture didnt produce error, neither did memtest, or OCCT 30min default test.

Thanks all :D

very nice oc you got there :nod:

not be be a killjoy...even after passing those benchies you mention...i have had prime fail in 4 seconds....

prime is the real "torture test" ...hope you pass that as well...good luck :nod:

Thanks guys :)

@ Alienwhere: This is the sweetspot right now, because I cant run it 310mhz :P, i was able to take it to 270mhz @ 2-2-2-8 w/ 3.5VDIMM and pass memtest, perfectly stable in windows etc., I didnt try 2-2-2-5 @ over 3.5 Ill play around with that and get back to you.

@msmolt: coming right up :)

@icon57: ya im aware, but HOPEFULLY i will manage to pass prime nice and smooth, we will see tonight :D

Thanks for the feedback guys! (nobodies said anything about the voltages yet ?_?)

very nice clockwork, but i must say that 1.66 volts is way too high for 24/7 use, even if the temps are low. i would not go higher than 1.55, but that's just me. i would predict that chip will die within 6 months if you leave it at 1.66.

Alright here is my 32M score, Kaspersky AntiVirus popped out with an update message, and I had to close the message and shut down kaspersky during superpi, im not sure, but i bet that slowed superPi up a bit.

Anyways, i pressed okay when it stopped so I dont have each loop time.. but here is the general shot :)

32Mthumb.JPG

Ill run through it again and post a non-interrupted version :P

very good time on 32m

i think your volts are just a tad high, everyone has different thoughts on volt...play it safe, and see if you can remain stable at lower volts, by slowly backing down the volts, and whipping that cpu into submission.

good work ..keep it up :)

If your cpu doesnt get hot then who cares about the volts. I just recently looked at my server config cause I never checked what the bios was doing and it set the cpu (amd xp) at 1.65 volts and ive had that sucker for 3 years. Ive never had a cpu or anything besides a power supply ever die on me. I wouldnt worry so much about voltage if you read the guide they suggested up to 1.7

very nice clockwork, but i must say that 1.66 volts is way too high for 24/7 use, even if the temps are low. i would not go higher than 1.55, but that's just me. i would predict that chip will die within 6 months if you leave it at 1.66.

I doubt that, id say it would last a couple years if you have a decent power supply.

Well, alright some mixed views on the voltage..

Im certainly happy with 2.8ghz @ 1.45V which is safe zone, and at that speed, i dont see any load temps go over 35c

Ill bench with 3.1ghz to be safe, or untill i get some more opinions, you dont notice 300mhz in normal day to day use, and when your already 100fps+ in games, I dont need 300mhz to get me up a couple frames...

J054 - you mention 1.7 in the guide.. i didnt see anything there..

Also would you consider the Enermax Noisetaker 485W a good power supply?