Sign in to follow this  
wladek

SATA Drives Unrecognized

Hi there,

I'm a DFI newb, the NF4-D is my first board.. though it doesn't have as many features as the other boards all the core components will serve me well. Installation was easy enough, turned it on, and everything worked...

EXCEPT

I have two SATA (1 I believe) Drives that are not recognized by the bios. I've tried 3 different SATA power connectors (one that came with the mobo, one that came with my PSU, and one that I bought ages ago), still no dice.

I've made sure the SATA ports 1/2 and 3/4 are enabled, I've even reset to the BIOS to optimal settings, no dice.

I've tried individual drives in different SATA ports on the mobo with no luck, the two drives in question are:

1x 200 GB Seagate Barracudea 7200.7 (ST3200822AS)

1x 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 (6L300S0)

Also an additional question (maybe related) is what is the purpose of the 4 Pin Mini Drive power connection on DFI boards. This is the same connection that goes to the floppy drive right.. i have a floppy drive on my system and dont have another available that size... is it neccessary? for what?

Thanks,

Sean

I updated the bios to what's in my signature now. No dice.. been doin some readin and found out the DiamondMax Maxtor drives aren't compatible.. I guess I'll just my PCI addon SATA controller.. what a pain.

So.. is there a HDD compatibility list for these DFI boards.. because neither of my SATA drives are recognized by the bios. They're different makes (Maxtor and Seagate).. bought a year apart.. neither gets accepted.

I have to use an addon Promise TX2Plus PCI Controller card to access them =(. Very sad indeed.

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Sean

I run Maxtor and Seagate on mine with no problem. I have pushed the unit to instability a few times and it failed to find my two drives as well as the optical drive. It always finds the floppy. I screwed it up so bad one time that only thing I could do was flash with the floppy otherwise I could not get into BIOS at all.

hi everybody, my first post here ;)

have the same problem with a Maxtor 6B160MO on SATA. it is not recognized in BIOS. WinXP is installed on a Seagate 80GB sata, working fine.

SATA 3 : Maxtor

SATA 4 : Seagate

after a cold-boot it hangs on "detecting IDE", then i plugged off the power-connection of the Maxtor sata-drive, plugged in again. system now reboots automatically and recognizes the Maxtor HDD as well. but now tries to boot from the maxtor HDD, while my WinXP is on the Seagate 80GB. so i have to reboot to BIOS and change the HDD-boot-order into 1st Seagate and 2nd Maxtor.

now everything is booting well into my WinXP.

after warm-rebooting (restart system) everything keeps in order.

after shutdown and cold-boot, same problem as described above.

its very strange cause the maxtor HDD works fine, if recognized.

any idea anybody? i am going mad already

thx in advance ;)

DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D (BIOS N4D 702-3)

AMD 64 3700+ SanDiego

OCZ PC3200 DCELPE-K 2x1024MB

Sapphire X1800XT

Seagate SATA 80GB (OS-Boot)

Maxtor SATA 160GB

HIPER 580W

i have had more problems with the Sata Maxtor's than I care to relate, the Diamond Max 9's especially.....

first, they don't like to play with different HD manu's very well, and for some reason, even when used as a storage drive just idling in a system, it finds ways to puke/nuke the other drives.

i have tested it numerous times with Maxtor's utilities, wanting to RMA the sucker, but it always passes, a real pain, i can't trust it anymore.

i have now switched over almost completely to the WD raptors, the 74 gig is especially fast, but for the OS, 2 36r's in Raid 0 hammer pretty good....

i love the rapty's

baldy

Hey guys....I had a similar problem with the exact maxtor drive when I had my ASUS P4P800 E-deluxe...apparently the ICHR5 southbridge didn't like it and PC wouldn't even boot it when it was plugged onto the SATA ports....as soon as I plugged the Maxtor on the same board, different controller (Promise) it worked flawlessly, so these drives are know to ne picky with controllers, a BIOS flash might help....

ok guys, i heard that maxtor has problems with their SATA drives

so the only solution is to avoid maxtor

or to contact maxtor.

i think they can send a newer bios for this HDD

but i don´t belive that this will work