Sign in to follow this  
ssR

got some general questions

heys guys i finally got my rig ready for an oc. heres what i got:

dfi ut lp ultra-d nf4

amd athlon 64 3500

geil one ddr400 bh

for cooling i got zalman 9500.

right now at stock speed my temps are 31C idle and 38C load. it might be a little high so ill change the thermal paste to AS5 later on to drop a few degrees.

i wanted to start off straight with fsb 250 cause thats what my ram should be capable of but i heard somewhere that such thing will require me to boost my ram voltage and for that ill have to switch jumpers on the mobo. is this true or can i try and oc it with stock voltage?

any other tips will be appreciated

I don't think 31/38 is particularly bad with the Zalman but you should have AS5 in there.

As far as jumping to some arbitrary speed, might work, might not - might seem to work and have random oddball problems. Just a few random reboots/crashes and you might get sort of annoyed, I know I would.

The OC guides on here and on Hardocp are good places to start. Basic idea is to figure out what your processor maxes out at, then figure out what your memory maxes out at, then settle on some setting that is stable.

another thing. as far as CPU temp goes i understood i can go as high as 50C. what about the NB temp?

what about the rams? i heard geil one can get quite hot when overclocked.

just raised the fsb to 230. everything seem to work fine. cpu temps are 32/41 @ idle/load, gonna run prime95 overnight and if everything will be ok by the morning ill raise it to 240 and then 250. i dont think theres need in more

just raise it to 300. then slowly back down the FSB until you boot windows.

tweak from there. best method of finding a good starting point

dont even bother priming so fast yet. run something like OCCT to make testing time shorter

that and also. less times you need to reset cmos when you F up the settings like with memory.

and use a divider. gives bh5 headroom . so you dont worry about memory until after you do cpu

im at fsb 240 now. temps are 33/44C. i never used OCCT b4 (my old rig was an intel 1) i have this test option there so basically if the test went successful i can try higher fsb or should i confirm it with prime95 1st?

yeh i would use prime95. in the overclocking guide it says to use superpi then occt then p95 :D thats what i do. (u could also if u wanted to use some3dmark tests, doesnt harm to be extra sure that its stable. remember it takes a long time to get a good stable oc)

most people choose to run prime 95 for 8-24 hours. ill do my overclocking over night the set prime95 going in the moring.. go to work ...come home have diner then check its stable :) so for me its about 10 or 11 hours.

meanwhile...

im at fsb 250 now, superPI passed, OCCD passed, vcore at 1.62, vdimm at 3.5, timings are 2-3-3-6 i use those just to be safe. temps are 34/47C. im done for today if the prime95 will pass by tomorrow ill start lowering the timings and the voltages.