Sign in to follow this  
mooseman089

Dying chipset fan?

Alright up until now everything has been going great but recently I noticed why I turn my computer on my chipset set fan makes a noise like its struggling (maybe if I remember Ill record it tomorrow for you) and when I check smart guardian I noticed that RPM's are lower then normal like 3,000ish compared to the 7600-8000 RPM I normally run at (I keep on high so it stays cool with my big 7800gtx blowing right on it) but after a varying length of time it goes back to normal so I was wondering is this a sign of a dying fan? What could replace it with or should I RMA it I don't really want to with all the stuff in my case it would be pretty annoying to try to remove my mobo.

I bought two of them and my bud bought two as well. He is changing his today I think.

RGone...

So my only option is to replace the chipset fan with the fan you mentioned above and the only possible way to install it will force me to take the mobo out?

Well I have a 7800gtx and even with the fan on full it still goes to like 50 degrees celsius so I would hate to know what would happen if i turned it off.....

Hi

In topic but only just, what size are the chipset fan screws? will be replacing mine tomorrow and the smallest spanner size I have is a 6 which is too big?

Alright when I remove the previous chipset fan I assume there would be some thermal paste and because this is my first build what should I use to remove so I can put the AS5 I have on it? When I apply the AS5 do I need to spread it or will the pressure of the heatsink do that for me like on a cpu heatsink?

Hi

To remove any thermal compound a high-purity isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. This will also work for cleaning both contacts prior to applying tha AS 5.

A small bit in the middle will do the trick which will then spread out as the fan is applied.