Sign in to follow this  
slayer666

MBM5 Presets crash my system

memtest is NOTHING. it can be stable test #5 #8 for hours and i cant even boot in windows.

try superpi, prime95 on new/clean windows

windows is fine, games are fine, its not overclocked..

I have the same with MBM5 and the modded datasheet that is referred to here. It's just a definate no go whatever I do.

Opened a thread about it not too long ago but no one even responded lol

I have the same with MBM5 and the modded datasheet that is referred to here. It's just a definate no go whatever I do.

Opened a thread about it not too long ago but no one even responded lol

haha, that would be right. p.o.s board.

dear admin guys, do you reckon you can help us out? or just keep ignoring a problem.. dfi fanboys please resist to flame.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. "Setting up manually"?

If you live in the US PM you telephone and I can call you and see if I can help.

No guarantees but I will try.

Wish you posted in the MBM5 thread as I would have seen this sooner. :)

Hey, nah sorry im from Australia. Thanks for the offer though :)

And by "setting it up manually" I meant setting up MBM without using the presets.

I think I'll just live without it

couple of thoughts:

Did you CPU usage enabled? If so disable.

and from an old post by Alex

http://www.livewiredev.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=3655

You are NOT using the configuration wizard at all are you?

hey how do i disable cpu useage if mbm crashes before its even loaded?

and no, i cancel when it gets to the config wizard, and then reboot.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. "Setting up manually"?

If you live in the US PM you telephone and I can call you and see if I can help.

No guarantees but I will try.

You can always use something like skype (and for free as well).

Wish you posted in the MBM5 thread as I would have seen this sooner. :)

Now this is good advice!

For all those that have nf4 Ultra-D/SLI and can't get MBM to work - well, try again - user mistake in 99% of the cases.

If you have expert thing become less clear - some say it works, some that it doesn't. We have the polling forum - maybe we should do a few pools - what monitoring software do you use, does MBM work with your expert board and stuff like that.

edit: just found http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37578 :)

Often uninstall and reinstall of MBM helps if you have unexplainable problems!

Slayer666 - my apologies.

I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that because you had MBM5 installed you could not boot your rig.

Booting in SAFE mood will allow you to boot and remove MBM5 if needed.

I have made sure that CPU usage is NOT Enabled in the DFI Configuration File I have posted.

I have received one or two reports of it causing problems BUT at least 30 users have told me they have no issues Enabling CPU usage on their boards.

I have now assembled my 3rd Expert board for friends and MBM5 has worked as expected on all of them.

The temps look like they are consistently being reported low compared to the same processors/hsf that they used on Standard DFI NF4s.

I "think" it's a bios issue with the Expert but the temps are all fine EVEN if I added 10 degrees to them.

I have to agree with _xhp_ that MBM5 problems are usually 99% user error or maybe crappy "how to" instructions by me. I'll keep working on my end of it.

I have read about this problem before and experienced it with Speedfan. I assume like Speedfan, MBM likes to poll the SMBus. This has been known to immediately crash systems built on Expert, not sure why. I fixed my Speedfan by entering the /NOSMBSCAN switch on the app command line. Check to see if there is a similar switch for MBM. You may lose some functionality (I did w/ Speedfan), but I still get voltages and temps. Hope this helps.

Edit: Found it right here! http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34110

I have read about this problem before and experienced it with Speedfan. I assume like Speedfan, MBM likes to poll the SMBus. This has been known to immediately crash systems built on Expert, not sure why. I fixed my Speedfan by entering the /NOSMBSCAN switch on the app command line. Check to see if there is a similar switch for MBM. You may lose some functionality (I did w/ Speedfan), but I still get voltages and temps. Hope this helps.

Disabling the SMBus is described in the link soundx posted upper in the thread. If this is the problem he shouldn't loose any functionality - for regular nf4 MBM gets all of the data from the ISA bus and you can disable the SMBus (and should do it to minimize possible problems/enable faster startup of MBM/... - MBM can't read the SMBus on regular nf4 but should not crash...). This is all for regular nf4 - I don't know if it is valid for the expert. I run MBM with the SMBus disabled and I still have all of my info and no problems!

should have qualified my former post with the fact that I used the x704-2bta on all three Expert boards. 1st thing I did was flash to it.