Sign in to follow this  
cybergod909

NB temps on nf4 sli-dr

Quick question. Im using Everest to monitor some temps right now and I notice the NB temp. How can it be monitored if its built onto the cpu? is that just an incorrect reading? im speaking about my a64 3200 chip.

also while im at it, had a question about my OC. Currently im running at 2700mhz on my 3200+. Running 5/6 divider, 10 multi, 3x ldt. memory at 225. Before i had it slightly lower cpu mhz I think at 2600, but 9/10 divider. I can then use 240mhz on the ram, but then i take 100mhz hit on the cpu. Which would give a better performance, the setup with 225 or 240 mhz on ram? Is the cpu mhz still the king when it comes down to it all? If so maybe ill try a lower divider and try for 2800 which is still my goal. I can get 2800 in windows but 10 mins into OCCT and it generates an error and im not sure where to go from there, if i should start with lowering the divider first or what.

Quick question. Im using Everest to monitor some temps right now and I notice the NB temp. How can it be monitored if its built onto the cpu? is that just an incorrect reading? im speaking about my a64 3200 chip.

Very simpe: It is not the northbridge, thats the one thats inside the cpu... the temperature which is measured by any software (smartfan, smart guardian, etc) is the southbridge, or chipset as everybody calls it; its the chip beneath the round heatsink between large PCIe slots.

also while im at it, had a question about my OC. Currently im running at 2700mhz on my 3200+. Running 5/6 divider, 10 multi, 3x ldt. memory at 225. Before i had it slightly lower cpu mhz I think at 2600, but 9/10 divider. I can then use 240mhz on the ram, but then i take 100mhz hit on the cpu. Which would give a better performance, the setup with 225 or 240 mhz on ram? Is the cpu mhz still the king when it comes down to it all? If so maybe ill try a lower divider and try for 2800 which is still my goal. I can get 2800 in windows but 10 mins into OCCT and it generates an error and im not sure where to go from there, if i should start with lowering the divider first or what.

I think better performance comes from faster CPU speeds regardless of ram speeds, to a certain point of course. If the memory is running at lower speeds you could adjust the timings to be tighter. AMD64's socket 939 is diferent from previous processors because of the memory controller (northbridge) being inside the cpu.

ok thanks for your input. Also I can get it to 2800 stable in windows but if I run occt, after a min or two it either freezes up or just reboots. Is that because I need more volt on the cpu? its already at 1.65 and I prob wont go higher then that unless I get water cooling.

That can be your CPU's max overclock, or your power supply isn't as good as you think it is... btw, what power supply are you using? (not listed in your signature)

Aplications crashing, or windows freezing up could mean the power supply can't deliver as much power as the system requires... but could be just the cpu's max overclock speed has been passed.

Good luck

ya my ps is a decent 600w one. I think its just my max or or the cpu needs more volt which I dont wanna do unless I have better cooling. another wierd thing is i can run my settings with like 225 on the ram to achieve 2700 mhz on the cpu, but if i use a higher divider like 9/10 then have like 245 on ram and 2700 on cpu its not stable for some reason, which is wierd b/c ive gotten the ram up to 260 stable so i dunno. Thanks for all ur help tho happy new years every body!.

The same happens to me using a divider 3:4, all this opposite to use 1:1 with diferent ram. For some reason the system at 2.9 ghz is some kind unstable, sometimes, yet sometimes it is perfect... but if I use my XMS4400 C25 or my Platinum Revision 2 and run 1:1 I can run the system at 3.02 ghz with even greater stability. This could be because the RAM settings I have for both the XMS4400 C25 and the Platinum Revision2 are the right ones, but the ones I use for the Platinum EL 1gb modules aren't... or could be because the chipset and memory controller aren't made to run this high in asynchronic mode... or, there are evil spirits inside my computer that don't like the 2 gb memory package :D

What I have learned from experience and reading this and other forums is that if a Venice or San Diego requires 1.65 volts vcore to run at a certain overclock... that means the maximum stable overclock was a little lower than that. Its almost as if the voltage requirements vs. speed increased very slowly, until a certain point where the voltage needs went up like a rocket: thats the maximum overclock of your cpu.