Will Floppy Drive Work Upside Down ?

Guest thespin_merged

Guest thespin

Hello all. I am doing a rebuild of my system and squeezing two water cooling circuits in. Space is at a premium. So besides taking a dremel to my beautiful case, for cabling reasons I need to install my floppy upside down [i also need to install my light controller likewise :)].

Will I have any problems with the drive if I do ? Have any of you ever done it ?

should work, depends on the drive really though. i know cd roms are way different, but i have some that will only work when perfectly upright. now that i think about it, i did have a old floppy that wouldnt work in an old compaq, turns out it was shorting every time i fliped it up right (was default mounted at 90°.).

should work though, only worry would be the mounting holes matching up.

Guest Crusader

Just take care that someone who doesn't know about this upside down thing will not force a floppy in the uh .. wrong way! "Hmm, I'm sure it should fit!"

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

Back when I was teaching, I saw more than one installed upside down and they worked just fine. We also had a bunch that were mounted at 90 degrees. We never put the upside down ones in the classroom though. Didn’t want the students to get more screwed up than they already were. :)

What is the model number of the drive?

Some sony drives did not have a full carriage and required the use of extra force (as you experienced) to seat the floppy disk properly.

The Sony drive required a good amount of force to seat the disk in the drive but it did work.

The TEAC drives, from my experience, are the best to use for an inverted install.

It's an older floppy drive and the label is so scratched up I can't make it out.

What is the model number of the drive?

Some sony drives did not have a full carriage and required the use of extra force (as you experienced) to seat the floppy disk properly.

The TEAC drives, from my experience, are the best to use for an inverted install.

I know this is kind of off topic but why even use a floppy drive, especially if your low on space. I have 3 computers without floppy drives, I dont think ill ever buy one again. You can get boot up cds and theres really no use for floppys in todays environment. Burn a cd, use a usb drive etc... IMHO floppys are a waste of money.

I dont even have them in my server, use boot up cds if necessary.