Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ryn_merged

Problem on shut down and power-on

My timings are set to 2-2-2-5 and is memtest stable.

I would leave it on and continue to stress the system then, if you used AS5 give it time to cure, maybe start running the qualifications for the stock speed database, (good tools to run through) and see if your cold boot issue does not clear up.

I know mine did.

My PSU, just by itself required to sit a couple of secs/min before starting again. Now its super fine.

Nitemare, how should we stress our system?

My system is stable, I have been playing Battlefield 2 during the 4 last days for about 6 hours each without problems, but I still have this boot problem.

I seem to have found a reprieve from the cold boot issue- not sure whether it was my OCZ powerstream, the board or the bios. The powerstream went to the shipper today for rma and I hooked up a raidmax 400w (24 pin atx, no 8 pin just P4) as a temporary. After swapping the psu I could get the board to cold boot following shut down from windows but not after powering off by hitting the case switch.

Found the new bios post this a.m. and flashed to 12/07- now the board cold boots perfectly. ???

Not sure if the bios flash fixed the problem, if the board finally got "broken in" or if the problem will manifest again after I put the upcoming replacement ocz powestream back in. Time will tell...

I had a problem just like this after putting together my system. What i did was up the voltage to the memory, and then it booted up just fine. I put mine up to 3.0 but im using OCZ VX memory...

I have a similar problem. Whenever I have to power off using the push button on the case it powes off fine but when I power on again it will not respond at all, the only sollution to that is to toggle the switch on the psu for a couple of seconds and it will power on using the button on the case. Now if I normally power off on Windows the system shuts off good and when I power on again it will power on no problem. Oh, and another thing, there seems to be a power current surge when I toggle the switch on the back to the on position, the fans flash for a beat.

This may sound foolish but its worked for me in the past, try dissconecting all the HDD/PWR LED etc and leaving JUST the case power connector plugged in

just got back a new board from RMA and I am having this same issue all over again. It occured with the first board I had but it eventually went away. Hopefully the same thing will happen here.

I have the same problem but with the sli D board. Do I need a new PSU? if so which one will be the best. I can't work with this kind of mayhem. All the anoying tempermental stuff was supposed to end when I built this system!!!!! Doh! :drool: :confused:

Guest maverick

Another one with the cold boot ...

From looking at the earlier posts ...

- Same board as most (expert)

- Same power supply (OCZ Powerstream 520w)

I do get some errors in memtests ... will try to set the timings right and see if that helps.

There is another thread discussing this problem with the Expert and a lot of different types of power supplies:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...light=cold+boot

You guys having cold boot problems should check to see if powering off the power supply for a few seconds (with the power supply switch in the back) allows you to boot normally. You should also check to see if pressing the power on case button once very quickly and precisely allows you to boot. It seems like both of these methods allow the machine to boot properly for me and many other people. The problem seems to be a combination of switch bounce and high current draw on the power supply when the PC is booting. This causes an over current situation and the power supply shuts itself off.

If this is the problem, a longer term solution to the problem is to put a .22uf capacitor (a metal film one from radio shack worked for me) across the power-on switch in the front of the case (in parallel with the switch):

MB Headers		 .22uf Cap						Switch 

+------------------------------------------------------------

|								   |

|								   |

---								  

---									

|								   |

|								   |

-------------------------------------------------------------

This solved the problem for me. You can really add the cap in a bunch of different places but I would just put it across the switch and not do any soldering on the board itself.