Sign in to follow this  
Nuse

Expirement....gone Wrong.

K, long story short i bought all my comp upgrades seperately from various dealers such as my ThermalTake 420 psu from NewEgg, case from DealSonic, cpu from EstoreToGo, etc.

I finally get everything shipped, boxed, and ready to assemble.

Now i'm picky of course of how to install everything, so i read my motherboard manual back and forth, it's an MSI Kt3 ultra 2.

I am completely excited, new crucial 512mb ram ready to go on that bad boy.

I get paranoid on how to install my processor/cpu fan so i run to Amd.com for help, turns out they have a great video on how to do this! My worries soon go away and i install the processor/heatsink with no problems! The oem even had 3 clips(i like more than 1 for security).

Well i powerup my Thermaltake(looking mighty fine mind you) and i hear a zoom noise. Like it's struggling to give the comp juice. Then i notice...my fan isn't spinning "rapidly" like it's supposed to.

My d-bracket/nic cards are lit up though...what can be going on? My led's on the front of the case don't work however.(I set these up perfectly too).

Now i'm getting paranoid, worried, expiremental, frightened, every emotion a guy who just spent $370 on upgrades would feel. I plug the psu into my old compaq and it powers up like a charm. Silent as ever...too bad it wasn't on the mobo i wanted it to be.

Psu messed up? Guess not.

I haven't tried the mobo yet...i really should...but i don't exactly have an extra processor/heatsink lying around.

My last idea was that it was a factor defect. I took the processor/heatsink out, and 15 minutes later, read about how i shouldn't have done that because now i'll need some thermal paste or something...*sigh*. Why couldn't it have just worked?

Any advice on this situation would be soooooo helpful.

Should i use my warranty? Should i test the mobo(and how?)? Should i test the cpu?

I've heard without the fan the processor could just burn out...how can you even tell if it's burned out. Thanks again...i know this is a lot to take in.

I've been up all night because of this...*sigh*.

OK first of all...calm down if you are uptight you cant think properly :)

Now you said the LEDs on the front panel were not working, so that means you may have the wire orientation reversed (which is a common mistake), to correct it just turn the LED pins around in their proper place on your motherboard. I would highly recommend some thermal paste (I prefer Arctic Silver 3 or Arctic Silver Ceramique)

You should apply on alittle to the center of your HS (the center which comes in contact with your processor and when that is done make sure that your heatsink is fitted properly on your processor (to make sure its fitted properly, while the heatsink is sitting on the 4 padded corners of the processor look b/t the heatsink and look for gaps, if so take it off and try again) When the heatsink and fan are connected properly(make sure your fan is connected and getting power from your motherboard)

Does your fan have a speed controller?

(make sure your fan is connected and getting power from your motherboard)

this sounds like the problem huh? if you have it connected to the mobo try using the 4 pin molex....or vice versa...or try a different fan connector on the mobo

I agree with O(V)eGA_l2el). Just calm down. This problem might seem like the end of the world now, but trust me, you'll look back on it and laugh once everything is worked out (especially since you have a warranty!). For now, just check every connection. Check the 3 pin connection to your motherboard, check the connection from the fan to the fan controller (if you have one) and everything else. If you don't notice any blatant wiring mistakes then check if you have any case fans. Try hooking them up to the heatsink and seeing if they work. I would not run it perminately this way unless you are sure they push enough cfm's, but I think its safe to slap one on and boot into bios to check the PC health status.

Just remember, don't panic. It doesn't help anything. :P

Thanks guys, yeah, you're right panic did nothing but made me freak out and take off the heatsink/cpu.

O(V)eGA_l2el):

I heard thermal paste/glue is only for shortterm testing and that it voids the warranty, is this true? Does it work well for you?

My fan is the oem version that came with the 2700xp processor.

How can the power supply work when connected to another motherboard(which processor/fan spins), but it won't work when plugged into this mobo.

The heatsink is properly connected to the CFAN1 3-pin connector as well.

Hades25:

"if you have it connected to the mobo try using the 4 pin molex" ?

My fan only has the 3 pin connector, care to elaborate?

I don't have any case fans but i have a tiny one that's built onto the motherboard,

Mobo.gif and it doesn't spin when the psu is turned on either.

Read all my suggestions to make sure everything checks out. ^.^ I've had this problem a DOZEN times. And it was always one of these:

Sounds to me exactly like your PSu.

Oh, the PSu works. But it's not /big enough/. Upgrading your computer with these newer, bigger fans may just very well put the PSu over the top, and cause it to die out.

How many HDDs, fans, etc. do you have? And how big is the Power Supply?

350-400 watt is usually enough for a PC with 3 drives and 3 fans. If you have less than 300, you would be wise to upgrade.

Another possibility is also that you shorted something out:

Check to make sure there are no jumpers that don't belong, bend pins, broken capacitors, or loose cables. If all those check out, check this:

Did you use the little riser screws? They're these little (usually brass) things that screw into the case behind the motherboard. You should use one for every screw hole in your motherboard. Line the motherboard's screwholes up, and screw the screws into the risers. Never leave part of your board hanging. You can accidentally bend it (especially when installing the CPU or RAM) and damage it. Risers are very, very important, and frequently overlooked.

Also, make sure to use anodized or ceramic washers under the screws, so the edges can't touch any of the motherboard's circuit leads.

When I was first learning to build computers, not using risers was my most common problem. I always blamed it on the motherboard. XD

Edited by Janglur

Janglur:

Uh oh....:( I didn't use risers....i didn't even know what a riser was until i looked it up on yahoo/google and read information about mounting the motherboard...did i short it out? Is it too late? >_<...i see no broken or bent pins or any visual damage either.

It's definetly not the psu, because it's adequate being a dual fan thermaltake 420 watt...But when i do turn it on it does make that zoom sound, like a small jolt of electricity comes through, then dies.

I'm starting to suspect the motherboard, i bought it off a friend for $70 because he got a better one. I knew i could get it for cheaper and/or a better one but i did him a favor...guess i should ask for the money back :O

I've been searching all night for how to test motherboards and whatnot...and i've gotten nothing useful...I really hope this works out.

Anyone...?

Edited by Nuse

to check the mobo try it out with a different proc, ram , ect...

to know if you burnt it or not look for discolored spots on the front and back sides

oooo my no risers thats bad wow whats the board do with everything to out?

Do you have an adaptor for your fan? I have the thermaltake 11 and they provided an adaptor so that instead of plugging unto the motherboard, I can connect to a normal 12V 4 pin connector from my power supply. (Then you should have a little cable to plug to unto the motherboard to get your rpm readings). If you do have this, do it!

lol... justinal... what are you talkin about?!

Anyhow, Nuse, when you powered on your mobo, was it already screwed into your case with everything plugged in? ... that seems to be the problem if so. Here's wat you can do now to test if it works...

-take your mobo out of the case, put it on a non-electrical conductive surface.

-only have video card, cpu/heatsink, memory, atx 20pins, and other necessary psu pins connected to the mobo ONLY.

-power up your PSU

-see if all goes well...

-if it goes well, then you should be fine once you reinstall the mobo, etc back into the case as long as you have those risers... and yes, your case should have came with them!!!