Sign in to follow this  
Syngensmyth

XP will not install to raid

My new Expert shows raid bootable, 2 Raptors 74. Also have1-300 wd. Xp installs fine on the 300 but will not install on the raid. I make a 10 gig partition and it shows but windows says it is not a compatable patition and will not go to format. I am now trying the newest raid drivers.

Funny thing. Tried to format the raid with Partition Magic. It will only do fat.

Any suggestions?

I will keep searching the forums. Sorry, I did post this as a reply by afraid it would not be seen.

Are they two new raptors or out of another system. If out of another system did you clean the hdds,may have fat32 on them. Also when installing the OS do you have only the raptors hooked up no other hdds.

2 new raptors. I did the clear array and reset but will do again. Partition magic will only offer fat for format on the raid. Maybe I should disconnect the 300 gig wd.

Syngen,

Do a minimum install for your first boot and Windows install. The only things you need are;

CPU

MOTHERBOARD

VIDEO CARD

1 STICK OF RAM

POWER SUPPLY

2 RAID DRIVES (DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER HARD DRIVES ATTACHED OR WINDOWS WILL TRY TO INSTALL BOOT FILES ON THEM!)

PS2 MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

Run Memtest and check for stability before proceeding with Windows install.

When you pass Memtest proceed with Windows installation.

Make sure after you build your ARRAY that you set it as a bootable ARRAY.

Make all BIOS changes to ensure that you have your PC set up for RAID.

What installation source are you using for XP - XP SP2 CD and just booting off that I assume? 32 bit or 64 bit XP?

If the problem continues, post the exact error you get about the partition - of course with the other drive unplugged and whatever else the other guys here said to do. :)

Finall got it. Unplugging the 300 gig WD did it. XP took to those Raptors like Bill Gates to money. Thanks guys.

Now I'm going to see if I can melt this puppy into a big ball :)