DFI Mainboards eating CPUS?

Hi all,

well i have an DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR and had the following processors:

- AMD Opteron 144

- AMD Opteron 146

After my first brandnew OPteron 144 Processor did not work in that system i give it to my pc-shop and they analyse that the CPU has been destroyed. So i guess it was just a bad day and bought a brandnew Amd Opteron 146. As i build the new CPU in the system nothing happens and their are still 4 red diagnostic lights on so i give the CPU back to the PC-shop and they analyse AGAIN (!) that the brandnew CPU has been destroyed.

So my question:

WTF is with that DFI motherboard? The PSU is a brandnew Enermax Liberty so it couldn´t be the fault i guess that my DFI board is destroying my Processors.

So i post on some Communitysites and they say that there is a "3 Volt" bug which can destroy the Processor.

So DFI, please say that YOUR motherboard is not the thing which killed my two processors and DFI please say that YOUR motherboard is not going to kill another one brandnew AMD Opteron Processor?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should try just one more Opty, dude! Does your shop have another board to try? Might be cheaper than smoking ANOTHER processor.

No comment from DFI at all?

They would most likely just comment that the Opteron is NOT a support processor for the nF4-based motherboards DFI produces. AMD has limited official support to "workstation" products.

EDIT: This is of course just IMHO. DFI may try help out but you're having problems with processors they have explicitly stated to be unsupported.

I am sure I have read something about a BIOS problem that would cause overvoltage?

From a changelog: "Vcore bug of 704-X "removed" (123% and higher options have been removed, so safe to use)"

Now, that is assuming you have gotten so far as to make changes in the BIOS. If you haven't made any changes at all to BIOS settings they should be at default ones and not interfer I guess. If that is the case then I can only recommend that you RMA your mobo or the PSU, since those are the only likely sources of voltage problems.