overclock my toledo x2 3800

colelt1

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

For Arctic Silver 5:

Carefully apply the thermal compound directly to the core of the CPU.

Spread the Arctic Silver thermal compound over the CPU core as shown in the photo to the right. The small amount from the photo in step 5 above has been carefully spread over the top of the core using a single edge razor blade. A razor blade or the clean edge of a credit card can be used as the application tool. You may use whatever tool you choose as long as it is CLEAN and allows you to control the application area and thickness.

The flatter the mating surfaces, the thinner the layer that is required. Stock processors and/or heatsinks with normal surface irregularities will require a layer 0.003" to 0.005 thick as shown below to fill the resultant gaps. (Equal to the thickness of about 1 sheet of standard weight paper.) Properly lapped heatsinks with mirror finishes will only require a translucent haze.

You are thinking of how you put it on your IHS (the dot in the middle method), if you put it directly on a core (IHS removed) you spread it across the core.

The last sentence says "Properly lapped heatsinks with mirror finishes will only require a translucent haze", my 9500 is like a mirror on the bottom, so all I need is a "translucent haze" of AS5. But what I have is more than that, I have a very very thin layer, maybe not thin enough.

And I did check my volts with a DMM along the way, not every step but ever once in a while, I got lazy doing this because idle and under load the volts are the EXACT same as what I set them to in bios (but read lower in bios, SG, and MBM)

• 1 month later...

Different for everyone I have a x2 3800+ manchester e4 stepping. The best I can do is 2.5 ghz (250x10) at 1.475v. If I push higher (even with increased voltages), it crashes or locks up when dual priming and 3dmark03 are ran together.

I think it's heat related. The highest I seen was around 48*C. Though that seems "normal", I suspect that the Expert boards are reading the temps too low, and its actually over 55*C (wich would explain the lock ups).

At mhy current speed, I am reading 42*C at the highest (so probably 50*C in reality).

I think it's heat related. The highest I seen was around 48*C. Though that seems "normal", I suspect that the Expert boards are reading the temps too low, and its actually over 55*C (wich would explain the lock ups).

At mhy current speed, I am reading 42*C at the highest (so probably 50*C in reality).

My Toledo locks up too, but it's -26C at 2700 that gets it. I can't boot over about 255 HTT because of cold bug. So these are temp-related lockups at the other end of the scale.

I ran it on stock HSF for a while and got similar temps to yours; like you, I mentally added 10 to 15 to the reading. I'm not sure how that works with subzero, but an idle temp of -30C is maybe a bit high when the evap temp is -50C.