Is there a BIOS fix for XF-I corruption?

To make a long story short, when I insert the XF-I sound card (xtreme music) the PC wont boot up and just BSOD's on me. If I take it out, all is good. Im currently using the 704-2bta bios, and really like it, but is there maybe a BIOS that fixes this issue? Creative's webite forum pages told me that a BIOS fix will cure this issue.

Someone should write an article on IRQ's, you won't believe how many problems are solved by checking to see which IRQ are sharing what together. This happened afew years back,when xp first came out, where I couldn't get past the log on for windows, sure enough sound card was sharing the same IRQ as my video card checked it out in safe mode. Wouldn't you know it I buy this new rig and my games would crash, everything else worked fine,what shook my memory up was some distortion from my sound in the games. Sure enough Windows asigned video and sound together again on the same IRQ. I moved my sound card one lower PCI slot and windows did its majic and gave my video and sound card their own IRQ and low and behold all my problems dissappeared.

Just for your info some people will argue till death that its all right to share IRQ's because windows is suppose to do that and I agree because you only have so many original IRQ's to use so Windows makes up some more if you need them. All I'm saying is that some hardware does not like to share IRQ's with anthing so you need to isolate them on their own.

This is experience talking. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in these Forums if they checked to see what IRQ's are sharing what hardware, they could correct alot of their problems.

Have to ask yourself why a reformat and fresh install corrects certain problems, ussually windows reasigns the IRQ's that were sharing last time. Similiar to the reasoning of why you didn't place your sound card in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot, because both slots shared. Well enough of my rambling, all I can say is give it a shot If your really stuck.

Someone should write an article on IRQ's, you won't believe how many problems are solved by checking to see which IRQ are sharing what together. This happened afew years back,when xp first came out, where I couldn't get past the log on for windows, sure enough sound card was sharing the same IRQ as my video card checked it out in safe mode. Wouldn't you know it I buy this new rig and my games would crash, everything else worked fine,what shook my memory up was some distortion from my sound in the games. Sure enough Windows asigned video and sound together again on the same IRQ. I moved my sound card one lower PCI slot and windows did its majic and gave my video and sound card their own IRQ and low and behold all my problems dissappeared.

Just for your info some people will argue till death that its all right to share IRQ's because windows is suppose to do that and I agree because you only have so many original IRQ's to use so Windows makes up some more if you need them. All I'm saying is that some hardware does not like to share IRQ's with anthing so you need to isolate them on their own.

This is experience talking. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in these Forums if they checked to see what IRQ's are sharing what hardware, they could correct alot of their problems.

Have to ask yourself why a reformat and fresh install corrects certain problems, ussually windows reasigns the IRQ's that were sharing last time. Similiar to the reasoning of why you didn't place your sound card in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot, because both slots shared. Well enough of my rambling, all I can say is give it a shot If your really stuck.

Right, I agree with that IRQ sharing stuff, my sound card, and SLi video cards are using the same IRQ (19) but it has always been this way from my SB live, audigy2, audigy2 ZS, and my XF-I all shared IRQ 19 with one of my video cards. Only my XF-i has an issue. HOW CAN I CHANGE THE IRQ THAT MY XF-I USES?

I haven't checked but see if you can shut the irq down in the bios, you might not be able to, seems to me irq 19 is on the high side, its one that windows makes up. Then the other is moving your sound card to a different pci slot, even if it means swapping with what ever is their. Try that.

I haven't checked but see if you can shut the irq down in the bios, you might not be able to, seems to me irq 19 is on the high side, its one that windows makes up. Then the other is moving your sound card to a different pci slot, even if it means swapping with what ever is their. Try that.

Did that already and it shares the OTHER IRQ with my OTHER SLi video card which is IRQ 18.

Yo bro !!! Here read on this. Says something about a Bios fix as well as the soundcard needing a firmware

update..http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=Problems+IRQ

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=Problems+IRQ

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...essage.id=32566

Sounds to me like there is some potential info here on the problem and some fixes either there or comming

I agree Uncle alot of hardware is not designed to share IRQ's, and XP's design is lacking...

having IRQ's locked by XP makes for hell, I gather you have a choice....let XP do the asigning or asign EVERYTHING yourself....some choice.

I gather the top PCI slot shares with the first PCIX slot and the second PCI also likewise shares with the second PCIx slot. Having one VGA card only I would have the option of at least the second PCI slot. I had wondered what I would do if I went SLI mmmmm the same issue Insano has found.

I wonder if this is a XP pcix design issue

The first time it happened I was lucky xp asigned video and sound to Irq 9 so I was able to disable 9 in the bios and rebooted and xp reasigned the hard ware, then I enabled 9 and all hardware was happy including me. My wife tells me I should write down all my fixes so the next time it happens I'm not scratching my head saying" shoot I know i fixed this problem 10 yrs ago.