Which DFI nforce 4 would u recommend

turok_t

Ok guys, im soo fed up with my MSI NEO 2 PLATINUM mobo.. and so im gonna need a new DFI Nforce 4 mobo.. What do u guys recommend? These are my system spec:

AMD 3700+ San Diego

OCZ DDR400 EL platinum Rev 2.0 2 x 512MB (may get 2gb later)

WD 36GB Raptor

WD 200GB Raptor

OCZ PowerStream 520W

ATI X1800XT or 7800GTX 256MB (money is limiting me to get the prior)

Swiftech watercooling system

There are a few DFI nforce 4 mobo and im not sure which one to get because im not familiar with them.. Im doing massive overclocking.. I can reach 2.9Ghz with my SD on the neo 2 platinum and desire to get the same speed with DFI..Im probably not going to get SLI, just sticking with one video card. So which nforce 4 mobo do u recommend? Thanks for all your input guys

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, im soo fed up with my MSI NEO 2 PLATINUM mobo.. and so im gonna need a new DFI Nforce 4 mobo.. What do u guys recommend?

ROLF!!!! :shake:

Another MSI bites the dust! Well you can't be in a better path than DFI my friend... I have both the DFI SLI-DR and the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and there is no comparison between both, the DFI is by far 100 times a better motherboard at least to my needs. Also I had enough problems with this MSI and I am going to change it for a NF4 Ultra-D or a similar board (as suggest by StephenC and others). Btw this Neo2 is third from five identical Neo2's I had and the other 4 went to RMA, sometimes twice since the RMA'ed Neo2's kept failing... one even destroyed a pair of Platinum Rev2 and another one a 3200+ Winchester; I say this so no MSI fan complains I am telling lies.

About SLI... its a bit of a headache to actually run two cards, but once they are running the system performs great. I believe every NF4 DFI mobo performs exactly the same with one card, so the choice is clear: either go for the lowest price and non SLI mobo, or invest a little more and get SATA2 and SLI qualities (for the future).

I think there are more than one DFI SLI:

1. DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
  2. DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR
  3. DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR
  4. DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D
  5. DFI nF4 SLI Infinity

I think this is also the price list, with #1 being the most expensive and #5 the least expensive one. Do a search at Newegg.com for DFI brand and nForce4 SLI chipset and you will find them.

Good luck

Is modding the Ultra-D to SLI hard to do?!? Does it always work, or is it the luck of a draw??

Well im thinking about getting 2x 6800GS. Which SLI mobo do u guys recommend? I want high overclocks and stability.. thanks

across @ msi earlier :) . Have 2 say i'm more than happy with my Ultra. Like Sorrento you'll see a few familiar faces round here :nod:

luck :)

MSI boards in my opinion are really bad, but even I have given them the benefit of the doubt... even after five Neo2's failing, three of those returning from MSI RMA, so you know I am really pissed about this brand.

But on the other hand if the Neo2 works, it is quite fast and could beat my DFI if both run at stock frequencies, but thats not by much and not important in my opinion and it is no overclocker nor made for such thing according to MSI forum moderators, but funny BIOS in that board has a lot of overclocking tools, I wonder why :rolleyes:

I have used motherboards from Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, Epox, MSI and DFI... and in my experience, personal of course, people should never use MSI unless its for a machine that won't be overclocked or later upgraded. Like DFI for modders and overclockers, all brands require certain types of users.

Funny but saying something like this literally kicked me from the MSI forum... do you remember Supershanks? The truth hurts I guess.

I am too going to get an Ultra-D to replace the MSI Neo2 on my bedroom pooter, but not sure... maybe a little Asus A8N SLI could be just as good since I am not going to overclock it and it is quite cheap too... yet, now that I think of it I don't think the Asus is as well made as the Ultra-D, $8 dlls more could be worth it.

Hey guys quick question, if i get the Ultra-D and if i decide to do SLI in the future, how do i get the PCI-E bridge?? I dont think the Ultra D comes with one so how do i get it?

As well can the Ultra-D be modded to SATA II and SLI or is this only for the NF4-D?