Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

What Amd64 Cpu Are You Using? (multiple Choice Poll)

I just have a quick question, and I dont mean to steal the thread, but everyone is talking about the L2 cache, what does it do, and why is it better to have a larger one?

Basically it's like this: you'r in a bar, sitting at a table, searching for your lighter couse you wanna light your cigar up,

1. you check in your pants (cache level 1) [fastest thing to do] but you can't find it,

2. you stay up to go to your jacket (cache level 2) [second fastest but sightly slower, also more chance to find it there (level 2 is bigger)] if you didn't find it there eiter,

2a. (if exist) backpack or whatever bags you carry with you (cache level 3)

3. you ask someone (memory) for a light...no luck?

4. you go and buy a lighter in the next supermarket or 24/7 (swap memory or page file). if you cant find any than chances are that you end up with a BSD :)

Stupidest analogy ever if u don't smoke....hope it helps and doesn't cause cancer :)

also, a very good article (like for most things) can be found at wikipedia.

direct link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache#Multi-level_caches

hope it helps

939 San Diego i love em' mine does 3ghz easely on air must be a good stepping or something but somehow i dont like it without watercooling but that'll be over in a month or 2

Right now I'm using a dual core Opteron 165, and I don't see myself ever getting another socket 939 processor for this build again. It really is the best 939 processor out there, in my opinion. Unfortunately I can't change my vote. :/