Seasonic Power Supplies (+ Reccomendations)

Overconfidence

But now you're all gunna jump on me and say "NYEHHH, SHUDDUP, DFI SAYS SO AND THEY'RE LIKE SMART AND STUFF"...

How will I possibly exceed 29A on the 12v rail and 150W of 5v/3.3v peripheral power? Please, entertain me. Your precious modsteam which is obviously WAY more qualified than the 430W Seasonic (Even though it fails at full load, whereas the Seasonics do not) has 1A less on the 12V, 2A less on the 3.3v, but, OH, look at that.. 20 extra amps on the 5v. OH BOY! I need to pump 100W more into my RAM so that I can overclock it. RIGHT.

=====================================

Overconfidence,

That was great! I loved it! I should have just stuck to my guns and asked the very thing you were asking and not be so gullible. I too don't need two vid cards because i'm not a gamer. I just wanted a box that I can overclock a little with my conservative system.

All I hear is 600 watts, 600 watts, 600 watts! or you'll burn in hell!

Now I'm stuck with a 600 watt PSU that I'll probably never use half of thank you very much while you're up!

Nuts!

---

oops, modifying my sig now... please don't hit me...I'm so afraid...

S12-500 or S12-600

buy less at your own risk (and if you encounter problems, that is the first thing all of us will tell you to change and get within required specs before you get any other help)

so

you can listen to these guys who say 'oh no you don't need to listen to Angry and the engineers who say 480w minimum, they don't have a clue what they are talking about'

or

you can listen to us since we live, eat, sleep, breathe, and even work for DFI, get these recommendations straight from the engineers (they are in teh sticky in the NF4 section in both english and chinese), and have dealt with more users at this forum about DFI NF4 than any 1,000 users here who claim we are crazy and don't know what we are talking about

choice is yours, but I highly suggest that you realize listening to those who claim to know more than we do is the wrong thing to do and you might as well do it right the first time...

S12-500 or S12-600

buy less at your own risk (and if you encounter problems, that is the first thing all of us will tell you to change and get within required specs before you get any other help)

so

you can listen to these guys who say 'oh no you don't need to listen to Angry and the engineers who say 480w minimum, they don't have a clue what they are talking about'

or

you can listen to us since we live, eat, sleep, breathe, and even work for DFI, get these recommendations straight from the engineers (they are in teh sticky in the NF4 section in both english and chinese), and have dealt with more users at this forum about DFI NF4 than any 1,000 users here who claim we are crazy and don't know what we are talking about

choice is yours, but I highly suggest that you realize listening to those who claim to know more than we do is the wrong thing to do and you might as well do it right the first time...

That was so, beautiful :sad:

I'd like to throw my two cents worth in. Most manufacturers recommend that the average load placed on the PSU fall between 40 to 70 percent of the maximum rated wattage for reasons of efficiency and longevity. I would not be comfortable running ANY power supply at it's peak rated wattage 24/7. And it only stands to reason that a PSU larger than what you need won't have to "work" as hard and theoretically should last longer. Another thing to consider is that in the future, you may find you need more power due to upgrades. They may come out with a double overhead cam turbo-charged video card you have to have, but it needs XXX amount of watts. It would be nice not to have to do two upgrades then instead of one. And FWIW, I just picked up a Seasonic S12 600 off of Ebay for $102.00 plus $25.00 shipping. Come to find out, the seller is actually EWiz.com. Thats the best price I've seen anywhere on that PSU if anyones interested in one too.

Bad Actor,

I'll buy that. it makes sense. However, the vid card seems to be the power pig in your post.

and again I'm not a gamer who needs that kind of power.

Thanks.

Angry,

What Confidence said makes sense. I can add just like the next guy - unless theres some hocus-pocus going on behind those rails that all you engineers know about but can't explain. (fanatics just make me suspicious)

However, I didn't read all the stickys so I'll try and do that when I have time - particularly the one about the PSU.

Before anybody jumps down my throat as to why I didn't read the stickys, I have to believe not everyone who joins this or any forum reads ALL the stickys! - come'on!

Before anybody jumps down my throat as to why I didn't read the stickys, I have to believe not everyone who joins this or any forum reads ALL the stickys! - come'on!

barely anyone reads anything nor uses the search button, then they buy the wrong parts that we advised against, and then come back here with terrible attitude because their whatever doesn't work and yadda yadda yadda then when you point out that they should have read the stickies and used the search function they act like small petulant children that shouldn't have to read anything

either or...choice is up to you to either listen to those of us know who know, or because you think someone's explanation fits your wallet contents better even though it totally goes against what we've (and by we I mean those of us that work for DFI and those of us that live here at the Street and have learned from experience as to why the suggested choices are those that you receive and then are told to either ignore them at your peril or take our advice) told you you need to have...

like i said, first thing that happens when we tell you that you need something minimum and you go ahead and go against that recommendation/suggested choices is that we tell you "well you didn't get what we suggested as minimum so until you do, we are pretty sure that what you got that doesn't meet minimum is the problem because we've seen it over and over as the problem but yet you insisted on listening to someone who claimed to know all about it all and more than we did and now look at where you are....with a broke down rig that ain't workin..."

not my place anymore I guess since so many others know more than we do about why we recommend such things

I was so willing to buy a new 500w up psu when I upgraded my box. But before doing that I felt its better to give my old psu a chance which is a Antec Truepower 380w comes with my Antec Sonata. It works very well even with its old 20 pins connector. Hope my infor will help you:)

I have the Seasonic 600W power supply and couldn't be happier. I purchased it before finding these forums, otherwise I may have chosen differently based on the recommended PSU threads found here. Some folks have had problems with Seasonic, but mine works well with my sig.

I have a Seasonic 430 that wouldn't get my Ultra-D past the 4 LEDs of death. I believe that the problem is the 5vsb line, not the 12v or 5v rails. Either the Ultra-D draws more that 2A on the 5vsb, or the Seasonic doesn't meet the published specs. Who knows?? I got an Enermax 535 and everything works fine and it is nearly as quiet as the Seasonic. As an aside, the Seasonic powers my Asus A8N Premium just fine.

Do a search on Seasonic and you will find the threads that describe the problems. Take our advice, and go with the "A" list. You may get lucky, or you may not.