Seasonic Power Supplies (+ Reccomendations)

Overconfidence

I know that you guys reccommend higher powered PSUs, but I was wondering if a 330W/380W/430W Seasonic power supply could run a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D along with a single video card, optical drive, and hard drive and a couple low speed case fans.

The amperage for each of these power supplies (3.3v/5v/12v) is:

330W: 20/20/8+14

380W: 22/21/10+15

430W: 30/30/14+15

I was also wondering why DFI boards need such high 12v amperage, and how much power the board draws. I've seen charts that list total power consumption for overclocked, high quality rigs that top out at 200W. A dual core dual CPU Xeon rig topped at 400W. Why do we need 500/600 Watts for a high end motherboard with a low power usage CPU (s939)?

Thanks,

~OC

P.S. Why does the Ultra-D manual call for only a 17A 12v rail for a 3400+ CPU and dual 6600GTs?

Guest Dynamic

Seasonic is a kick butt PSU, shoot for the 430w, but i would go for the 600W, it's about what $160 or less...come on! My deal is different, i'm going SLI and probably going to overclock an X2 along with both 7800GT's CORE/MEM, so go figure, but you're in the right ball park, i would go for the 430W or if money is not an issue shoot for the 600W. Let me know...

Guest Dynamic

You should read this sticky that i found under Angry's sig, read please...about PSU's for DFI unless you have already read it.

Note:You need to provide more information regarding your system rather stating "one video card, one cd-rom, blah blah" not very good if you know where i'm coming from? A PSU is the most important components that allows you to run your system. Don't go cheap with it, $99 for the 430W is risky, shoot for the 600W SeaSonic, seen alot of reviews, the rails stay put with crazy overclocking as well. Trust me...I mean i got a OCZ 520W Modstream and it's done a great job with my system overclocked at 2.43GHz memory @DDR441 2225-1T 3.4V using the OCZ DDR BOOSTER which using extra voltage from my PSU, 3.3v i think and i also had a video card overclocked and no power issues at all with this $94 PSU from Monarchcomputers.com but i think it is slightly over $100 it went up, hahaha. GL!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Seasonic 430W has 29A on the 12v line in total, which is fine by what you guys say. It's rated at 430W, but it adds up to about 600W or so (30A 3.3v, 30A 5v, 29A 12v, someone wanna double check?). Sure, it doesn't have 50A on the 5v line, but who has 250W of 5v peripherals?

Oh, for full upgrade specs, I'm going with:

3200+ Venice (overclocked to the max, hehe)

1gb of OCZ RAM (will only put 2.8v at most, mem dividers if needed)

DFI nf4 Ultra-D

CD-RW Drive

40gb WD HDD

2 Yate Loon 120mm @ 7v

6600GT/6800GS/7800GT (Depends on how much money I have leftover :P)

You should read this sticky that i found under Angry's sig, read please...about PSU's for DFI unless you have already read it.

Note:You need to provide more information regarding your system rather stating "one video card, one cd-rom, blah blah" not very good if you know where i'm coming from? A PSU is the most important components that allows you to run your system. Don't go cheap with it, $99 for the 430W is risky, shoot for the 600W SeaSonic, seen alot of reviews, the rails stay put with crazy overclocking as well. Trust me...I mean i got a OCZ 520W Modstream and it's done a great job with my system overclocked at 2.43GHz memory @DDR441 2225-1T 3.4V using the OCZ DDR BOOSTER which using extra voltage from my PSU, 3.3v i think and i also had a video card overclocked and no power issues at all with this $94 PSU from Monarchcomputers.com but i think it is slightly over $100 it went up, hahaha. GL!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Okay. The Seasonic PSU adds up to 600W if you add all of the rails together (Although it can only really put out 500W, and 430W by their 'official' ratings). I've read all of the stickies now.. but I don't understand. Read my above post.. why do you need 480W for a DFI board? I've read that people's DFI boards run 200-250W under load with 2 HDDs, 2 DVD drives, etc. Unless the 'high and mighty' DFI EXPERT ENGINEERS have found a way to make a computer use twice as much power as four CPUs in a hungry motherboard, I don't see how this could be.

But now you're all gunna jump on me and say "NYEHHH, SHUDDUP, DFI SAYS SO AND THEY'RE LIKE SMART AND STUFF"...

How will I possibly exceed 29A on the 12v rail and 150W of 5v/3.3v peripheral power? Please, entertain me. Your precious modsteam which is obviously WAY more qualified than the 430W Seasonic (Even though it fails at full load, whereas the Seasonics do not) has 1A less on the 12V, 2A less on the 3.3v, but, OH, look at that.. 20 extra amps on the 5v. OH BOY! I need to pump 100W more into my RAM so that I can overclock it. RIGHT.

So tell me. How am I underpowering my computer with a seasonic 430W? Should I get a ThermalTake 480W 18A 12v power supply instead? It has 24 pins and 480 Watts!! Not atx 2.0? Love those two rails on the Powerstream. And I really need the expert advice of the DFI forums, so I'd better do what they say. Hmmm...

Your system will run fine on that 430W PSU.

A line has been drawn in the sand at 480W and these guys will claim you need it until they're blue in the face. They do so (and I can empathize) because there are a whole lot more PSU's out there under 480W that won't work than PSU's above 480W that will work. Know what I mean? They're just trying to be helpful helping to make sure that most people end up with more than they need, not less than they need.

I've got a Seasonic 380W and have (in the past) run it beautifully with a dual core processor, overclocked significantly, plus a lot of fans, a pump for the water cooling system, a RAID controller card, and even multiple HD's including a SCSI 15K. However, I *didn't* intend to game with that system and as you know video cards can consume quite a bit of power.

In the end, that SeaSonic 430W will do you just fine IMHO.

I know that you guys reccommend higher powered PSUs, but I was wondering if a 330W/380W/430W Seasonic power supply could run a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D along with a single video card, optical drive, and hard drive and a couple low speed case fans.

The amperage for each of these power supplies (3.3v/5v/12v) is:

330W: 20/20/8+14

380W: 22/21/10+15

430W: 30/30/14+15

I was also wondering why DFI boards need such high 12v amperage, and how much power the board draws. I've seen charts that list total power consumption for overclocked, high quality rigs that top out at 200W. A dual core dual CPU Xeon rig topped at 400W. Why do we need 500/600 Watts for a high end motherboard with a low power usage CPU (s939)?

Thanks,

~OC

P.S. Why does the Ultra-D manual call for only a 17A 12v rail for a 3400+ CPU and dual 6600GTs?

I am in the exact same point as you plus I do not even game

I am highky considering the Seasonic 380. I also am highly considering an ENERMAX Liberty ELT400AWT [ 2 20a 12v rails for $78 is pretty good ]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194002

Alright, thanks guys. I can probably assume that the 380W version would run my (Fairly conservative) system fine, but I'm looking at the 430W for reliability.

I know that a 500/600W would be 'right', but honestly, I'm sure that the 330W Seasonic would be just fine for my system, and a 430W plenty.

I'll check that Liberty too, I hear that enermax has some nice PSUs.