Yikes! Can't choose cooler...

THE_Nemesis

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did try the Big typhoon on my ultra-D board but it's just to flakey mounted...not near as proper mounted as the leverage applied demands.

I was in the planning of building some kind of supportplates but just gave up and bought the XP-120.., will get back to the BT later on but I'm gonna manufacture proper mounts first.

I strongly advice anyone to mount the BT without any additional supportmounts, that weight combined with that leverage mounted with only 2 bolts, and NOT linear to the force is just a accident waiting to happend.

but then again, thats just my opinion.

I did try the Big typhoon on my ultra-D board but it's just to flakey mounted...not near as proper mounted as the leverage applied demands.

I was in the planning of building some kind of supportplates but just gave up and bought the XP-120.., will get back to the BT later on but I'm gonna manufacture proper mounts first.

I strongly advice anyone to mount the BT without any additional supportmounts, that weight combined with that leverage mounted with only 2 bolts, and NOT linear to the force is just a accident waiting to happend.

but then again, thats just my opinion.

lol, you made the install about 1000x more complicated than it has to be. using stock dfi plastic back plate, 2 long screws up through, place heatsink on cpu, metal H bracket on top, 2 nuts, tighten, done. the whole thing takes 5 minutes.

Like greatscott68 said the Zalman works excellent with a case that allows good alignment with the rear case fans. I tried the 120's & the Zalman was the better cooler. The Zalman is sort of case reliant. No other cooler will outperform it in a rig that allows the HSF to exhaust directly into rear case fans. It is even more suited to the Expert board because that layout allows the Zalman to cool the memory slots.

I have a pair of 9500's - and they work really well. I run at 40* load under Prime, with an [email protected], and about 1-2 degrees cooler on a 3000+@ 9x300. You really can't go wrong with the XP-90 or the Zalman. that 120 is pretty huge - it will definitely be the centerpiece of your mavhine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, either :)

Wow...that's really nice. How does your XP120 cool your FX55 & 3000+?

Like greatscott68 said the Zalman works excellent with a case that allows good alignment with the rear case fans. I tried the 120's & the Zalman was the better cooler. The Zalman is sort of case reliant. No other cooler will outperform it in a rig that allows the HSF to exhaust directly into rear case fans. It is even more suited to the Expert board because that layout allows the Zalman to cool the memory slots.

Guys...I have the Antec Sonata case. Will that work well with the 9500? Will the 120mm case fan in the back be able to suck out the air?....

lol, you made the install about 1000x more complicated than it has to be. using stock dfi plastic back plate, 2 long screws up through, place heatsink on cpu, metal H bracket on top, 2 nuts, tighten, done. the whole thing takes 5 minutes.

Actually that was the method I used, fact remains...it is noway near proper supported.

The rear case fan looks to be in ideal position to assist the Zalman. The fan is actually larger than my Lian Li rear fan & should really help you clear the exhaust.

So, on my nF4 Ultra-D, the Zalman will be positioned so that its exhaust gets sucked out?