Yikes! Can't choose cooler...

THE_Nemesis

I need a CPU cooler.

My system is as follows:

3000+ Venice

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D

I was looking @ the Zalman CNPS9500. I saw that it was very nice, w/ LED's and worked really good.

I plan on overclocking my CPU to at least 2.7GHz, so I need a REALLY heavy duty cooling system that isn't LOUD.

The Zalman looked nice. But, then there's all this buzz about Thermalright.

XP120? XP90? XP90-C? SI-120?....

What about the Zalman CNPS7700?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the xp-120 isn't recommended because it blocks one of the PCIe slots, not really that big of a problem IMO. see the motherboard compatibility list:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_su...rd_xp120_k8.htm

the si-120 performs almost equal to the xp-120, only about 1C degree difference and is 100% compatible with your board. and about the cnsp-9500, despite zalman's claims, most reviews i've read say it's not that quiet, performs well though, but probably not as well on your motherboard because of the orientation of the CPU socket. the 9500 was designed to face backwards in the case, so that air from the intake flows in one end and gets sucked out of your exhaust, most motherboards have their CPU sockets oriented this way, the Ultra-D does not, only the DFI SLI-DR *Expert* has the CPU socket with this standard orientation

the xp-120 isn't recommended because it blocks one of the PCIe slots, not really that big of a problem IMO. see the motherboard compatibility list:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_su...rd_xp120_k8.htm

the si-120 performs almost equal to the xp-120, only about 1C degree difference and is 100% compatible with your board. and about the cnsp-9500, despite zalman's claims, most reviews i've read say it's not that quiet, performs well though, but probably not as well on your motherboard because of the orientation of the CPU socket. the 9500 was designed to face backwards in the case, so that air from the intake flows in one end and gets sucked out of your exhaust, most motherboards have their CPU sockets oriented this way, the Ultra-D does not, only the DFI SLI-DR *Expert* has the CPU socket with this standard orientation

well I'm planning on getting the Expert board, an SI-120, -and- run two video cards SLI. Will the SI-120 block one of the pci-e slots too, or should I be ok with what I'm planning?

thanks ahead of time!

I think the CNPS-9500 has the highest thermal disspation. Not positive, but it is the only cooler I have seen that has been said to rival mid-range watercooling.

I have a pair of 9500's - and they work really well. I run at 40* load under Prime, with an [email protected], and about 1-2 degrees cooler on a 3000+@ 9x300. You really can't go wrong with the XP-90 or the Zalman. that 120 is pretty huge - it will definitely be the centerpiece of your mavhine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, either :)