Nvtune

I think this should be in the stikies if it is'nt, to many people asking about it again lately.

It's not for newbies.

If you use it, don't complain if your computer no longer works, or if windows no longer works.

Oc'ing in windows is stupid.

Testing out timings in windows is one thing, but it is totally diffrent from doing it from the bios.

It's quicker, and generally safer to doit from the bios and test with memtest.

NTune is software based. So you might be able to just remove it from your ADD/REMOVE programs list and everything MIGHT be fine if it reverts to your original settings. To be safe I'd do a fresh format and install, because it surely writes things to your registry values when you use it. I second, third and fourth all of the previous comments, Windows based overclocking is silly. I don't even recommend A64 Tweaker as a permanent tool. Use it, find your optimum settings and then make those changes in your BIOS.

Then if you don't know how to overclock, then don't. Otherwise, visit the AMD Overclocking section and start learning. I started overclocking back in 98 and got some fantastic results with my Athlon XP-M 2600+. Although that was a different time, it hasn't changed too much. Here's the problem with nvTune:

When you change settings by upping your FSB/HTT and voltages, it doesn't register with the bios. Only because bios is what controls these parts. That means, everytime you start your computer and load up windows, it WILL have to overclock to that. Plus, it doesn't have all the tweaks that you will need to get a stable system. Instead, overclocking via bios (which is recommended) will set the settings, and will boot that way into windows. This can have a negative effect on hardware. What if nvTune overvolts something? Software can malfunction too...

Just some things to consider.

In conclusion, start learning how to overclock with these boards like they were meant to, or you're gonna end up needing to find something else when it goes wrong.

well the dfi mobo has more bells and wistles than i know amd overclocking is much diff than just changing the vcore and fsb liek i did with intel