Sign in to follow this  
Seth Krieg

CPU running hot hot hot.

I think I found out why my games are crashing. My cpu idles at 50C and goes up over 60C once I put on a game causing it to crash after a few seconds! I have an xp-120 and a 120mm fan on it and it still runs hot. Do 4800+ run hot? What can I do to make it go down? Should I try put the stock heatsink that came with the cpu?

I would have to agree with Supershanks, your temps are not good at all.

I would make sure that the heatsink is seated properly, and that you didnt use too much thermal compund.

Just a thought, but do you have the cpu fan plugged into the header on the mobo, and if so, make sure the fan speed setting in the BIOS is ok...

Apart from that, I cant see why it would be running so hot, especially with that cooler...

I think I found out why my games are crashing. My cpu idles at 50C and goes up over 60C once I put on a game causing it to crash after a few seconds! I have an xp-120 and a 120mm fan on it and it still runs hot. Do 4800+ run hot? What can I do to make it go down? Should I try put the stock heatsink that came with the cpu?

Remount the cooler, temps should be around 45-50C under full load with 4800+ and XP120 (depending on room temperature and the case/fan configuration).

It is essential, specially with X2 CPU's, to use a good thermal compound, like AS5, and then follow the instuctions from

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Ok i shall try to remount it. I have put the stock cooler that came with the cpu and it went down to 40c at medium load. I might have mounted the xp120 off a little or maybe it just wasnt making direct contact. THx for the help everyone. Btw what heatsink/fan combo does everyone recommend?

Guest oRiOn

I don't know if hitting 60C will make you crash games, had a friend that runs his AMD 3200 at that while gaming and nothing happens :) . Unless remounting the cooler did fix it, didn't read that you said that.

-Will

Guest tytlyf

you always want the fan blowing down towards the processor. I would never mount it the other way.

Seems you are either making horrible contact with the xp120, or the bottom of the HS is concaved. Remount, make sure you know it's seated properly, then test again.

Those temps are too high.