Sign in to follow this  
KimTjik

[RESOLVED] Random shutdown Optical Drive corrupting OS installation

I'm a very satisfied user of my board, and maybe the board isn't the reason of my problem. Nevertheless, a couple of days ago the computer started to random shutdown the system.

1.) I cleared the CMOS quick way - same thing.

2.) Thoroughly (you know battery out and so on) long procedure - same thing

3.) The above and reflashing the BIOS I use - same thing

Secondly I tested how these shutdowns behave: In windows or in BIOS it could randomly shutdown, no difference (I'm happy though it didn't do that to me while flashing the BIOS - to be clear here I've choosed to just flash using a floppy). Next in testing was to disconnect piece by piece everything, and running the system to check if it anyway will shutdown by itself. Videocard = no difference, harddrives = no diffrence, CD/DVD = no difference, one or two RAMS in different slots (Memtest without any failiure) = no difference. It wasn't until I disconnected the frontpanel it seemed to work, but still once it shutdown randomly, after a much longer period of time though.

After shuting down, I'm able to restart in some of the cases straight on, in others the system stay on halt with all four diagnostic leds on (or even the fourth is flashing? - even though that just happened twice) for ever, or it does stay on halt with all four diagnostic leds on for an unusualy long time and then boots up.

Before this failure I had no problems what so ever. The CPU has been tested in SuperPi and Prime95 without failure.

I know it's a long explanaition, but I thought it's better that way to exclude some questions that might araise. Any thoughts of where to search for a solution?

I might not be able to check any replies given but later today.

If you mean that the system is powering off by itself, then look at your power supply as the first step of your testing..

Yes, I've done what I could to determinate if that's the case. But as far as I've been able to check it, the PSU hasn't showed any sign of failing: current stabile and it keeps on running faithfully.

Update: even though it doesn't appear to be a software problem, I decided to reinstall the Win XP, to give it a try since the system for some reason has quited to shutdown, but the installed XP showed signes of corruption. This has unfortunately proven to be painfully unsuccesfull: even though I tested different versions, even unpacked XP (at the workplace), somewhere along the installation procedure the installation goes bad in not finding the right files. So what I get is a very limited OS, working but not to satisfaction. I've been running the repair utility from DOS and it does everytime find and correct problems. Now, I'm heading at trying another CD-drive (have read about some having problems installing OS with the one in my sig) and with a minimal setup.

But I'm a bit confused - and my brother too, who's profession is to find these kinds of bugs - since I'm not able to see a pattern yet.

What errors are showing after shutdown in event viewer?

No errors or messages ever showing up. In this case though, it would have been nice to get some! Not even windows did complain about the system not being properly shutdown, I wonder why?

Have you checked the COU temo in the BIOS? are all temp OK.

If isn't the overheat problem, which will shut down the syetm for pretection at any time overheating happened, then very likely is the PSU, do you have any spare PSUo hnad for testing? double check if all teh connectors are securely in place, more connectors you have with those modular PSU, more chances you will makie mistakes.

Good Luck.

Have you qualified your RAM with memtest at your current timings? I noticed you've got your CAS set to 1.5. Although you can select CAS 1.5 it really doesn't exist.

Both in BIOS and by software has the temperature being the following:

CPU: 32 C - max 42 when loading (of course the max won't show up in BIOS!)

Mobo: Keeps around 40 - 44 C

Chipset: 40 - 48 C

I thought the same first, that maybe I've missed some signs of a temperature increase. But as there's no difference and that everything seems to be just as stable as it always have been, then there's only the option of a sensor playing games with me.

I've now taken the system with me to my office, so I've now more options and not as limited as at home: two computers but just one screen!

I just makes me mad to have a DELL running smoothly next to my DFI-system! I wished it was the other way around.

Have you qualified your RAM with memtest at your current timings? I noticed you've got your CAS set to 1.5. Although you can select CAS 1.5 it really doesn't exist.

Sorry, the sig doesn't tell the truth while I'm trying get all together again. It's just that the memory really ran very well at thoose settings. I'll correcting the sig since it doesn't help out right now, current setting 2-2-3-5.

Yes, I'm just now running memtest once more, one module in the orange slot most far from the CPU. It's looping and looping without a hint of failure.

Check each stick as a single then both together in the appropriate slots. Once you get the rig setup use prime95 to check for stability.

IMO, if is RAM causing problem, most likely you will have random restart. Random shutdown will be more power/temp related.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Check each stick as a single then both together in the appropriate slots. Once you get the rig setup use prime95 to check for stability.

Memtests have all been good: single channel, dual channel, each module and both modules.

My foremost problem now is still that I still can't install a new XP OS without it getting corrupted. But as I wrote before it could be the CD-rom device that might be the problem (I did though already install different OS about 4 - 5 times already without any problems). I'm now testing how it will work out with a NEC.

BTW one or two days before the failing of the system I did run Prime95 for about 10 hours - no problems.