Comments Wanted

timmiecat

Here is my selected components for new system. I would like feedback on my choices. Also, with selected memory, should I use the yellow or orange slots? Recommendations on sound? I have an Audigy 2 but the X-FI Music looks good if the compatibility with NF4 is resolved with new firmware. Is onboard sound worth trying?

Thanks, Another DFI Rookie

You can change the ZALMAN to a Thermaltake Big Typhoon (it's silent and i'd even say of better performance)

Might want to get an Opteron 146 or 148/150 instead of that Sandy aswell..

RAM, i'd say Mushkin eXtreme PC-4000 (2-3-2-5)... Infineon CE-6

Case, maybe Thermaltake Tai-Chi or Kandalf? ;)

HDDs: maybe 2x Hitachi SATA-II 80GBs? .. Put them in raid0, they will fly.. :rolleyes:

PowerStream will handle 2x 7800GT just as good, but 600W is a better choise..

SI-120 - you need an extra fan for it.. Get Big Typhoon, it comes with a very silent fan and the performance is identical to XP-120, which is better than SI-120

P180? Tai-Chi is waaay better..

The P-180 Isolates the power supply heat away from system I had a average case temp drop of 15c from normal cases I used when I moved to p180

Cooler Master stacker is what I used to use

Also the si-120 does better all around cooling of the socket area

The P-180 Isolates the power supply heat away from system I had a average case temp drop of 15c from normal cases I used when I moved to p180

Cooler Master stacker is what I used to use

Hmm, might want to give it a try then.. However, 15* C sounds very doubtful..

Tai-Chi is like a big heatsink.. It dissipates heat pretty good, fully made out of aluminum..

You can install 4x 120mm fans, there just so much space inside that you can fit whatever you want..

Hmm, might want to give it a try then.. However, 15* C sounds very doubtful..

Tai-Chi is like a big heatsink.. It dissipates heat pretty good, fully made out of aluminum..

You can install 4x 120mm fans, there just so much space inside that you can fit whatever you want..

Trust me when I move to something for my customers I do it with thought I didnt belive the change at first but its true and the p180 has 4 120mm fans to

So far am very un-impressed with Big Typhoon. Fan does not make much noise but neither does it have enough spill over air onto the PWMIC area to cool those ICs and they now run 12C higher with BigTyphoon than they do with my XP-20 Thermalright. Might be a good choice for those crying for silence but so far I see drawbacks not overclocking prowess when running fast. Quiet? Yes. But working better than my XP-90? Nope not at this time.

RGone...

PowerStream will handle 2x 7800GT just as good, but 600W is a better choise..

SI-120 - you need an extra fan for it.. Get Big Typhoon, it comes with a very silent fan and the performance is identical to XP-120, which is better than SI-120

P180? Tai-Chi is waaay better..

The Zalman 9500 works very well w/ the Expert board & a case w/ a rear exhaust fan near the Zalman. The Expert board's layout w/ the memory slots where they are allows the Zalman to exhaust the heat the memory generates into the Zalman & then out the case. I tried the 120 & found the Zalman more efficient. It's also quieter in my case. If your case has the rear case fan lined up w/ the Zalman then I highly recommend the Zalman. The Zalman cooler relies alot on the rear case fan. It outperforms the 120 in my case. Your mileage may vary.

Here is my selected components for new system. I would like feedback on my choices. Also, with selected memory, should I use the yellow or orange slots? Recommendations on sound? I have an Audigy 2 but the X-FI Music looks good if the compatibility with NF4 is resolved with new firmware. Is onboard sound worth trying?

Thanks, Another DFI Rookie

For the money, I'd recommended X2 3800 $100> 3700+ San Diego and Powerstream 420w $45< Powerstream 520w.

So far am very un-impressed with Big Typhoon. Fan does not make much noise but neither does it have enough spill over air onto the PWMIC area to cool those ICs and they now run 12C higher with BigTyphoon than they do with my XP-20 Thermalright. Might be a good choice for those crying for silence but so far I see drawbacks not overclocking prowess when running fast. Quiet? Yes. But working better than my XP-90? Nope not at this time.

RGone...

Actually, this is somewhat i can not confirm. I've used XP-120, Big Typhoon & currently on a XP-90C..

My PWMIC area did NOT have any sufficient diffence in temps in comparision with XP-120 (when using Big Typhoon).. I've noticed 1-2 deg (if any) at most...

The design of XP-120 & BT is similiar in many aspects, though BT has a higher base and a lot of fins.. This might be few things that stop the airflow from reaching the pwmic ICs fully..

On the other hand, if you have a good case, which is well ventilated, then there's practically no such problem..

XP-120 is a good HS, but it's a nightmare to mount it on Ultra-D.. Heavy, big.. Especially when the RAM slots were in the way...

With EXPERT things have changed, but it will stick close either the ATX power area OR the DIMMs..

If BT is out of question - i'd go for XP-90C + silent fan (silenx/papst).. Looks good, performs good and temps are good ;)

IF the thread starter is not short on money:

Get 600W PowerStream

Get 146/148? Opteron s939

Mushkin 2GB PC-4000 eXtreme RedLine (2-3-2-5): Infineon CE-6

OR

G.Skill 2GBZX PC-3200 (OC & get Mushkin level or more..)

The 4000+ sandy your getting will prolly suck, since most of laters one are 'speed stepped'.. Opty is the way to go (OC).. :rolleyes: