PATA Drive Raid-0 Setup

I am trying to slipstream the raid files into the XP installation CD using nLite, but I am unable to find a folder called pata raid under the IDE/WINXP folder. I only see

legacy

raid tool

sata_ide

sataraid

Should I just go ahead and use the files inside the legacy folder.

Yes!

LEGACY and PATARAID subfolder normally have the same content (only different names) and include all drivers and files you will need.

CU

Fernando

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an expert in PATA Raid systems, because I only had SATA hard disk drives as long as I have my DFI Mobo.

If I were you I would not change your 2 Seagate PATA hard disks for 1 Hitachi PATA hard disk. I would change them for a SATA II hard disk and later (when I have the money) I would buy a second SATA II hard disk drive.

CU

Fernando

Hi Fernando, yup your advice was pretty much what my conscience was trying to drill into my head :D

I have just bought a Hitach T7K250 and dropped the idea to give away my two pata hdds at flea market prices.

Now my requirement to drive these two 40GB pata hdds as ONE 80GB (RAID0) is much more critical :(

Anybody who can help me with two PATAs on a Single IDE channel and RAID0 configuration? :confused:

Just followed the procedure in MSFN forums, and I really dont believe it to be that simple. So, just want your comments.

This below is the snapshot of the first screen telling my WinXP attributes (its SP2).

7.jpg

Choose 'Integrate Drivers' option in the second screen.

2.jpg

Extract the 6.7 drivers into one folder and then point to the 'Legacy' folder under 'XXXIDEWINXP...' and choose the nvraid file.

3.jpg

Just say OK to the two files proposed by nLite

4.jpg

Once you go back to the original screen, can I add these drivers too??

5.jpg

Finally upon continuing, and clicking YES to finish processing the driver integration. Also, If I would have chosen 'Create Bootable ISO' in the first screen, it would have readied a ISO file.

6.jpg

After this process, in addition to the original files on the CD I observed that there is a folder OEM raid, the contents within it could not be opened on notepad but were referring to some nvraid bla bla bla....

Are these the steps to follow, or are there some more to be taken care of.

@Admins,

I made sure that the files are well within the 800*600 limit. But if I'm not supposed to post so many pics (6 totally) please feel free to delete them, but please dont ban me :D

How about that AudioUtl folder, the contents within that too??
No, that is not a driver, but a tool folder. You can only integrate drivers within this driver integration section of nLite.

If you want to use that tool, you can run the setup of that folder after you have finished the installation.

CU

Fernando

Hi all,

I have two Seagate barracudas (both bought at different times and the model numbers are different too).

1> 40GB Barracuda ATA III (IDE)

2> 40GB Barracuda ATA IV (IDE)

Right now I am planning to buy one HITACHI T7250K SATA II drive.

My question is,

Can I have the two IDE drives in a raid array, and the single hitachi drive working like a normal hdd?

you can put all 3 drives in RAID-0 if you want

it works the same as SATA RAID...or you can mix/match drives

any hdd you put on an NF3 and NF4 PATA or SATA controller can be raided in RAID-0

http://www.angrygames.com/DAGF-1.htm

http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm

you can put all 3 drives in RAID-0 if you want

it works the same as SATA RAID...or you can mix/match drives

any hdd you put on an NF3 and NF4 PATA or SATA controller can be raided in RAID-0

I would not recommend to build a Raid0 array off all 3 hard disks. Leave one HDD as single disk. So you have space for an easy backup of your important files, because any issue with one of your Raid HDD's means a loss of all datas.

Any hdd you put on an NF3 and NF4 PATA or SATA controller can be raided in RAID-0

Thanks Angry, you just gave me some relief. I take your word for that ;)

I would not recommend to build a Raid0 array off all 3 hard disks. Leave one HDD as single disk. So you have space for an easy backup of your important files, because any issue with one of your Raid HDD's means a loss of all datas.

I am planning to have the Hitachi as a Normal drive, and configure only my two PATA HDDs in a RAID0 Configuration. I have a reason for that cos, I only intend to have games on the RAID0 Config and all the critical data on the Standalone SATA.

I have my rig up and ready.

WinXP loaded on the SATAII drive.

While installing XP I made sure that I slipstream the nvraid driver and all related drivers in the 6.7 release by nvidia.

Do I just follow the procedure posed by angry on his site? (sans the F6 since I presume that I already have the driver loaded).

Please help.

While installing XP I made sure that I slipstream the nvraid driver and all related drivers in the 6.7 release by nvidia.

Do I just follow the procedure posed by angry on his site? (sans the F6 since I presume that I already have the driver loaded).

If you have integrated the nForce SataRaid drivers into your CD, you do not need to press F6 during the install.

If you want to install XP onto a hdd without any Raid, you don't need any nForce textmode drivers at all during the install.

CU

Fernando