Chipset Temp

davidmi58

I am working on my new setup. Currently, I am running at 267 with a 150 divider and my San Diego 3700+ is not quite stable at 1.44v x 110% on air (getting Super Pi errors after a while).

I am worried about my chipset temps, tho. My CPU temps are not too bad. 38 at idle and 50-53 under load. However, my chipset temps hover between 53 and 56. I am not overvolting the chipset (running stock 1.5v) The problem is probably caused by the end of my XFX 7800 GT which runs dead through the middle of the chipset fan.

Can I move the video card to the 2nd PCI slot? If not, is there another way to better compensate for the problems that this video card seems to be causing my chipset temps?

Thanks in advance

I do not know how the heatsink looks or works on your video card, so it may or may not be responsible for your high chipset temps, but you can move your videocard to the second PCI-E slot, it will work and the difference in performance is incredibly minor, something like 200-400 03marks or a fraction of a frame in games.

Probably the best thing you can do to lower chipset temps is to replace the thermal pad with AS5 or Ceramique. My chipset used to get 45c-48c under load, but after cleaning the heatsink / chipset with Articlean and adding some Ceramique, it now idles at 30c (or 3c below my CPU, instead of 5c-8c above it during load and 10c-12c at idle). Running prime results in just 1c extra on the chipset (unlike 12c extra on the CPU).

These are my current Smartguardian idle temps:

CPU-38C

PWMIC-40C

Chipset-52C

While running Super Pi:

CPU-50-52C

PWMIC-42C

Chipset-54C

I suppose it is about 70 degrees F in here.

I am going to buy a couple more case fans and see if I can get some more air running through my case.

Will these kinds of chipset temps be dangerous?