Sign in to follow this  
scottR

NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

Guest Ryn
Bottom line you'll have to RMA the board. I tried different PSU and finally I had to get a new board.

That would be the hardest part since RMA'ing will usually take 3-4weeks. Anyway, I have no problem in stability and performance but do you think that this issue can affect damage on other hardware components?

I had the exact same problems as you and we both have the same PSU and Ram, i increased the ram voltage from 2.66 to 2.80 and now it's sweet no more cold boot problems, give that a try and see if it helps you to

Tried upping the ram voltage to 2.8- no change. RMA here I come...

Guess I'll have to buy some cheap board to use while I wait on the rma process.

I just jumped on the RMA wagon after many hours of tweeking & swaping parts with no luck... any u guys having luck with the boot issue?

I hope you guys get this sorted out, because RMAing for what i would think should be fixed by a simple bios update is a bit extreme.The reason i think a bios update is needed is because so many people have this problem with different hardware.

I have had the same problems with erratic cold booting. Once the system boots OK, it will warm boot repeatedly. When up, the system is a screamer :)

I have run Passmark's Burn In Test for extended periods on this system without errors.

I initially tested the MB without a CDRom or hard drive - I was just trying to get into setup. I noticed that the CPU fan would not spin down to operating speed and that the last 2 diagnostic lights would stay on whenever the MB didn't boot. Pressing and holding the power switch (either of them) for a few seconds while trying to boot the unit sometimes made a difference. A quick press almost always failed.

I was adviced by my seller to reseat the CPU and memory chips. That made no difference. I also flashed to the 12/7 BIOS using a USB key (no floppy) - with no improvement.

Since I put a SATA disk and CDRom into the unit it is behaving 'better' but not without occasional failures to start. I may increase the PS load and see if the symptoms change - plug more disks in but not the SATA cables, etc.

I, like everyone else, would like to hear from our DFI hosts about this. Please?

I, too, have this very same problem. The system worked reasonably well for 3 weeks and then all of the sudden, no cold boot at all. When the power button is pushed, the MB LEDS flash and the fans spin for aproximately 1 second and then nothing. I have tried 2 different power supplies and different RAM. I have also tried the 'official CMOS' clear process...with no luck.

While I am RMAing the Expert, I installed all my components into an SLI-Ultra D and it works very well.

It seems that many others are having this problem with the Expert, is it possibly a design issue?

I don't think a BIOS fix can take care of this problem as none of earlier official or beta BIOS made any difference.

If any of you guys are can RMA your boards to the retailer you bought them from then that's the best choise. You will lose 15% but definitely better than waiting for a month or so.

I got my MOBO yesterday and have already noticed this problem, I'm going to try a few things like everyone else has as it seems that some people have resolved the problem?

DFI, pls HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

rainboxsix6,

please be kind enough to create a sig. to go along with your posts.

thanks.

@rainbow6six

i'm not so sure that people are resolving the problem as such. it seems to me some boards are effected more than others and some not at all. i also believe some people may be mistaking bios issues such as vdimm and drive strengths being not dialed in as this so called cold boot issue.