NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I finally assembled my WC rig over the weekend. I am using an OCZ 520 Powerstream and one of the expert boards that wasn't cold booting with the PCP&C 510 ASL. I also get the cold boot stall with this PSU. So, that makes two PCP&C 510s and one OCZ 520 Powerstream that will not properly boot one (probably both) of my Experts.

The cap mod seems to have fixed the problem though. Luckily, Radio Shack sells them in packs of two.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having cold boot issues with an Ultra X2 Connect 550W. For a test I borrowed my friend's OCZ GamerXStream 600W and found the cold boot issue disappeared.

I ordered one from zipzoomfly.com and have not had any cold boot issues since it's been installed in my computer.

Funny how some PSU's work, others don't ... people even have cold boot problems with "recommended PSU's". The OCZ GamerXStream is a new PSU (April 2006) not yet on the DFI "recommended" list but it works like a champ!

Pharma

I was having cold boot issues with an Ultra X2 Connect 550W. For a test I borrowed my friend's OCZ GamerXStream 600W and found the cold boot issue disappeared.

Funny you mention the Ultra X2 Connect 550w, I had to borrow my friend's while I was waiting for my RMA back from OCZ and I never had any cold boot bugs at all with it. OCZ was nice enough to upgrade my 3rd dead 520w Powerstream to a GameXStream 600w and I just got done installing it now. No cold boot bugs yet so I'll be holding my breath for the next week or so to see if it pops up again...

Hi guys, ive just flashed my BIOS, and then there was a loop of continuous beeps. I sorted that by erasing the CMOS. I have now loaded defualts, but my system now will not boot unless you hold the power button down for a second.

If you dont the system boots for a second or so then turns off???

Now I have soldered a capacitor onto the switch rated at 1500 uf. This still doesnt fix it???

I soldered it like this

. ........._|_

|________|____

(Ignore Dots)

Is this right??

Please help me I need to fix this for tomorrow.

Would reflashing it back to original BIOS help?

Thanks Andy

Jeez man! The fix calls for a 0.22uF cap. You were just a bit off! LOL

Hi guys, ive just flashed my BIOS, and then there was a loop of continuous beeps. I sorted that by erasing the CMOS. I have now loaded defualts, but my system now will not boot unless you hold the power button down for a second.

If you dont the system boots for a second or so then turns off???

Now I have soldered a capacitor onto the switch rated at 1500 uf. This still doesnt fix it???

I soldered it like this

. ........._|_

|________|____

(Ignore Dots)

Is this right??

Please help me I need to fix this for tomorrow.

Would reflashing it back to original BIOS help?

Thanks Andy

No. That probably won't fix it. The value is totally off (really, really off) and it is probably electrolytic, which have to be oriented correctly or they can start leaking or even explode.

You need a 0.22uf capacitor (non-electrolytic - polyester film or metal film you can probably find at radio shack or mouser.com). The ones from radio shack look just like the green one posted in the pic on this thread. They do not look like cylinders... those are electrolytic capacitors, which you should avoid.

When i push the ON button, everything (fans, leds, ...) switches on and immediately swithes off.

Is there a chance that the capacitor mod will fix my problem?

Also, I did not understood where should i solder the capacitor. On the PS_ON# wire?

Does cycling the PSU power (the switch on the PSU) for a few seconds allow you to boot normally?

If so, you may have the cold boot problem. Here is how I added the capacitor to my comp:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=313

It was a 0.22uf metal film capacitor from radio shack. I didn't have to solder anything because I just plugged the cap leads into the headerplug along with the extension. Make sure you get the value right and make sure you don't buy an electrolytic capacitor (they are usually can shaped, have polarity and have very high capacitiance values).

When i push the ON button, everything (fans, leds, ...) switches on and immediately swithes off.

Is there a chance that the capacitor mod will fix my problem?

Also, I did not understood where should i solder the capacitor. On the PS_ON# wire?

I have to ask (this usually comes right under -- did you make sure it's plugged-in :rolleyes: ). Before you try the cap...

Did you remove everything that wasn't needed and try again? (All drives, all cards other than video, etc.). You could have a short, a PS overload, or have a cable plugged-in upside down.

Did you check that your case doesn't have an MB mounting post in the wrong place and is creating a short (I was really embarrased when I totalled a MB this way). (Try booting with the MB outside the case).