NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

[EDIT]If there is any other around this problem without needed 3rd party items i would love to hear it because i am desparte. PM me if you need.{EDIT}

You can try another PSU of the same type or a different PSU.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just RMA'd my motherboard for refund and will purchase the asus motherboard because of this thread and because of how the DFI mods are going about this situation. Moving my threads to sections that don't apply and then addressing me in an infantile way just lost me as a customer.

I work in adversting (and I'm obviously good at it if you look at my rig specs) and I am going to make it a priority to let others know my experience with DFI products.

Really funny how DFI screwed up though, they go through all this effort of making a good layout perfect for Large SLI cards like the 7900 GTX 512, tons of SATA drives, a massive array of fans, then royally screw it up by falling out of spec with PSU's that can actually power such a setup.

Yeah well I wish i could just pull another 250 dollars out of nowhere to go and buy another PSU. I cant get another one for a fortnight. My board should of just worked out of the box. So i can wait to weeks for a PSU or i can rma the board wait 4 weeks and hope for the best?

Im sorry but this is not what i expect when i pay over 350 dollars for a mobo...if i was paying 120-150 for a budget board then i might expect something like this. I will buy another PSU in a fortnights time, that is not the point though i am very unhappy.

and my bad, i dont mean to be rude, but i am sure we all know what its like when you spend hours even days messing with a comp, we turn into narky hobbits.........

No worries, my post was a bit abrupt as well. Wish I knew of something you could do...sounds like you tested everything, but can you swap your Venice into another system to check...p.i.t.a I know. Best of luck to you mate.

rcdarkangel

As you have seen by other forum members results, simply changing the PSU will most likely resolve your situation. It's a shame we're having to deal with this issue but until PSU manufacturers get a handle on the situation it's all we can do.

Yeah well I wish i could just pull another 250 dollars out of nowhere to go and buy another PSU. I cant get another one for a fortnight. My board should of just worked out of the box. So i can wait to weeks for a PSU or i can rma the board wait 4 weeks and hope for the best?

Im sorry but this is not what i expect when i pay over 350 dollars for a mobo...if i was paying 120-150 for a budget board then i might expect something like this. I will buy another PSU in a fortnights time, that is not the point though i am very unhappy.

HanzoRazor

I guess you didn't understand the repeated explanations of the situation and decided to go another route. That's probably for the best!

It's a shame you didn't put that advertising expertise into understanding the facts.

You got a very clear explanation as to why your posts were moved. Tech posts and recommendation posts go in two different places. Sorry you don't understand!

I have just RMA'd my motherboard for refund and will purchase the asus motherboard because of this thread and because of how the DFI mods are going about this situation. Moving my threads to sections that don't apply and then addressing me in an infantile way just lost me as a customer.

I work in adversting (and I'm obviously good at it if you look at my rig specs) and I am going to make it a priority to let others know my experience with DFI products.

Really funny how DFI screwed up though, they go through all this effort of making a good layout perfect for Large SLI cards like the 7900 GTX 512, tons of SATA drives, a massive array of fans, then royally screw it up by falling out of spec with PSU's that can actually power such a setup.

No worries, my post was a bit abrupt as well. Wish I knew of something you could do...sounds like you tested everything, but can you swap your Venice into another system to check...p.i.t.a I know. Best of luck to you mate.

Ive just been doing some reading in and aussie game mag, and i have one possible solution.......it may be completly no good for 99% of users, but..........so 2 of my firends had an nforce 2 mobo woth an athalonxp sumfin...adn i have read the same thing about athalon xp's and nforce 2's...yes yes we are talking about NF4 and Experts, i am getting to my point,.... well starforce HAS in the past and stil does create similar problems, adn as we all know, it doesnt matter if you buy an origional or DL an illegal copy,,, and starforce when installing says it may Fu@#$% your sys... now yes this prolly isnt the issue for 99% of you all, as i am sure most of you have a clean install... also,,, for some reason i haev had nuffin but problems with firewire with my DFL SLI DR and with ASUS NF4 baords...so disable in bios,, see if that helps.......

But again,, can anyone please comment on possible scenarios of what might happen if the memory controller on the amd64 cpu is bad or going bad???..

Ive asked a mate if i can swap my venice 3500+ with his venice3000+, but he isnt to helpful, gievn this same (IT Profesional, self confessed know it all,,,, was worried that tetsing MY ram in his rig woyuld F it up) i swear i almost died of laughter when he told me this (hes been working in the IT industry in spsecial systems and servers for 6 years!!!!!! adn he tells me that....mind you, he cant fix any of his comp problems and i haev to do it all for him ;) thought you all might find this amusing!!!!

has anyone else heard of any major issues with the new Venice DFI boards?? may end up selling my soul for one of those :(:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just got my 2nd expert in the mail (newegg rma'd it) and I am still getting cold boot problem. I just went out and bought an Antec TP2 550w to see if my Enermax 535w was the issue and nothing, still cant cold boot. The system has booted succesfully once, I installed windows then turned it off to move it to my desk and it never booted again. That was with the first expert I got and this second one has yet to boot at all. It will go through 4 leds but the last one will stay on and I will get a regular boot beep but no video signal. Then right after the beep my cpu fan will just stop. If i let it sit there for a couple of seconds my cpu fan will start acting like it wants to start up as if i was trying to jump start it and after a while it will start spinning again. And yes i have tested every component on another system and they all work perfectly. And i cannot flash my bios or anything because the system will not boot and the board is fresh out of the box.

Well i just got my 2nd expert in the mail (newegg rma'd it) and I am still getting cold boot problem. I just went out and bought an Antec TP2 550w to see if my Enermax 535w was the issue and nothing, still cant cold boot. The system has booted succesfully once, I installed windows then turned it off to move it to my desk and it never booted again. That was with the first expert I got and this second one has yet to boot at all. It will go through 4 leds but the last one will stay on and I will get a regular boot beep but no video signal. Then right after the beep my cpu fan will just stop. If i let it sit there for a couple of seconds my cpu fan will start acting like it wants to start up as if i was trying to jump start it and after a while it will start spinning again. And yes i have tested every component on another system and they all work perfectly. And i cannot flash my bios or anything because the system will not boot and the board is fresh out of the box.

boot with one stick of ram in slot 2, look at some threads for stable memory settings (especially the drive strengths)

check out this thread for more info

EDIT: consider starting your own thread, your problem is not the same as the one in this thread.......you have a no post problem but you do get power

• 3 weeks later...