NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

Add me to the list of people with the cold boot problem!

I've only had my rig going one day and I noticed the cold boot problem right after loading windows. Exact same symprtoms as everyone else. 4 lights, 3 lights, 4 lights, then off.

Well i am reading all these pages of cold boot problems and STILL there is no solution... and i have something extra to add...I have the DFL SLI DR. I bought one around 1 year ago and it was perfect,, and then it went bad...I RMA'd it adn recieved a new SLI DR around 1 month ago. Ever since i got it back i have been having cold boot problmes. Every morningi start my computer, it will MAYBE get to windows and then restart its self on average 5 times before it becomes stable. Then no matter how many times i restart the comp during the day, its boots perfect every time. Now i also have 2 other problems with this new replacement SLI DR....no.1, VERY RARELY will it shut its self down. maybe 1 in 10 times it will be able to do it by itslef doing it via the start menu, then shut down, i left to go to uni one day, 8 hours later and it still was telling me that it was shutting down!!!!!!! i mean seriosuly!!!!!!!! NEVER had this prob with the old SLI DR.... Secondly, with the old SLI DR, the way to get my OCZ DDR600 ram to work properly at at ddr600 speed was to make sure that every setting in the RAM part of the bios had a value in it, that it nothing was on AUTO (had the same with MANY other board manfactures)...but now with my new replacement SLI DR....i have to leave everything on auto in the RAM settings of the bios for the PC to finally decide to boot after 5 or so restarts.........now come on, is this not weird!!!!!!!!!!! my sys has been prime 24hours stable for the whole period of the 1st SLI DR that i had, and with the 2nd replacement SLI DR, once its completed its cold boot 5 or so reebooting BS, the system is prime 24 hours stable..and whatever else i wanna throw at it.........but i will say that i do get an occasionaly reebot at any stage, could be opeing firefox, could be a game.......but when i use prime or loop 3dmark 06, its goes for hours....NONE OF MY SYSTEM PARTS HAVE CHANGED from the 1st SLI DR to the new replacement SLI DR.... ive done and tested EVERYTHING mention in these forums and many others, i mean my 1st SLI DR was the bomb, NEVER HAD A PROB, i worked out all the little issues, like corrupt bios probs etc,, my question is WHY is this happening NOW, and to me it seems like its got sumfin to do with the manfacturing processes being used....but sumfin is up.. ive read cold boot issues in many forums, and how can i have to have all my ram setings in the bios on AUTO for this new SLI DR but the old one, i have to make sure NONE are on auto?????? Dont get me wrong i love DFI,,, but we all know sumfin is up..........oh and also 1 last thing... my old SLI DR, i could run 4 sticks of 512mb ram at ddr 400 speeda dn 2T, and with ANY of the DFI SLI DR beta or Official Bios's, but with this new replacement DFI SLI DR mobo, it will ONLY ever detect 2 sticks of 512mb ram when i insert 4 sticks of 512mb ram.........also just noted that my computer will NEVER get into windows if i put my ocz ram in slots 1 and 3,,, i could with the old SLI DR.......DFI, can we please have some answers?????? i am not gonna wait 6 or 7 weeks to RMA this baord after i haev only just got it for 1 month now.. and by the way i am a trained professional who was working for the biggest Intel premier provider in Australia, ive build 1000's of PC's and never seen these issues before. Worked in RMA, so i know how to test and fix nearly anything, but not this.......

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@austenn01

The problem isn't with the motherboard. "Cold boot" has everything to do with the current crop of high watt power supplies.

SURPRISE....I change my 6800GT with Ati X800XL e cold boot finish:-)))

Very, very strange.

@austenn01

The problem isn't with the motherboard. "Cold boot" has everything to do with the current crop of high watt power supplies.

strange that my ocz 520 is highest recommended on the recommended list for this motherboard.:mad:

@austenn01

But NOTHING HAS CHANGED FROM MY ORIGIONAL DFI SLI DR SETUP. All parts are the same MOBO is just replaced with a new SLI DR (not the expert),, so i am sorry but high watt power supply is not the ans to mine, cant be!!!!!!!! Casue i NEVER had ANY problmes with my 1st SLI DR, untill my dad fried it with water coolant :(

Also my ram is reccomended for the DFI SLI DR, and now for it to not work in slots 1 and 3 and having to leave all ram settings in bios on auto, complete opposite of my 1st SLI DR,,, not power supply, i had the same one, never a problem!!!!

Maybe you could ask them to swap the 600watt OCZ for the 520watt SLI version, that's what i'm using and have never experianced the cold boot issue

When I initially read your post I thought "hell no" but that's exactly what I did. My OCZ 600W SLI arrived at OCZ today, I called and told them to just send me a 520W sli replacement. I see some posts about problems with the 520W but I see a lot more problems with the 600W.

I also Rma'd my expert and would like to say that the tech support at DFI California is first rate. Everybody is polite, professional and willing to help. We’ll see next week if the "fix" works after Ricky did his magic on the board. It's reassuring to have good professional back up on a product.

Bottom line: I've cooled off a bit on this issue, since understanding that the problem can be solved by cutting the power at the PSU. The inconvenience of having to turn on and off the power at the front panel and the the PSU is not monumental

If you just can't fricking stand the cold boot thing, get a $69 antec smartpower 2.0 500W PSU.

:)

When I initially read your post I thought "hell no" but that's exactly what I did. My OCZ 600W SLI arrived at OCZ today, I called and told them to just send me a 520W sli replacement. I see some posts about problems with the 520W but I see a lot more problems with the 600W.

I also Rma'd my expert and would like to say that the tech support at DFI California is first rate. Everybody is polite, professional and willing to help. We’ll see next week if the "fix" works after Ricky did his magic on the board. It's reassuring to have good professional back up on a product.

Bottom line: I've cooled off a bit on this issue, since understanding that the problem can be solved by cutting the power at the PSU. The inconvenience of having to turn on and off the power at the front panel and the the PSU is not monumental

If you just can't fricking stand the cold boot thing, get a $69 antec smartpower 2.0 500W PSU.

:)

I still dont see how u all say its a power supply problem... all you people seem to have the EXPERT. i dont.. plus i have used a generic 350 watt 20$ psu., same prob, and i have used a 400 watt FSP 70$ aus psu.....same cold boot prob plus all the other probs i mentioned earlier.......but i have a DFI SLI DR...........its just not consistant..............seeing my SLI DR is only less than one month old, its gotta have sumfin to do with the manfacturing...........untill someone can use the scientific method and prove 99 out of 100 times a lower watt psu fixes our cold boot problems with both the expert and my SLI DR....then ill believe it!!!!!!!!!! other than that, DFI knows sumfin we dont!!!!!!

My system is about 2 weeks old (previously DFI Lanparty NForce 2 Ultra) and for the first week or so was booting fine. Recently I get 3 LEDs and then the 1 long beep indicating memory problem (or so I thought). Tested memory in another machine (memtest etc) and everything fine.

I reflashed the BIOS and that seemed to fix it for about 2 days (also played about with DIMM voltage in BIOS (set to 2.8V) as i thought it could be the problem. If I clear the CMOS and then boot up everything is fine (except I have to reload the settings) and the same is also true once the PC has been on for a while (albeit not booting). I have now come to think that it is this issue with the PSU and the "switch bounce" problem.

My system is about 2 weeks old (previously DFI Lanparty NForce 2 Ultra) and for the first week or so was booting fine. Recently I get 3 LEDs and then the 1 long beep indicating memory problem (or so I thought). Tested memory in another machine (memtest etc) and everything fine.

I reflashed the BIOS and that seemed to fix it for about 2 days (also played about with DIMM voltage in BIOS (set to 2.8V) as i thought it could be the problem. If I clear the CMOS and then boot up everything is fine (except I have to reload the settings) and the same is also true once the PC has been on for a while (albeit not booting). I have now come to think that it is this issue with the PSU and the "switch bounce" problem.

Wel i am gonna give my opinion, you all take it how u want..... i have read plenty on DFI NF4 boards getting corrupt bios's. EVERY problem i eva have, all i gotta do is re-flash the bios, with the same bios, or a diff one, doesnt matter, and things work!!!!!!!!!! can anyone else vouche for this??? well there definetly is a 100% isue with DFI NF4 boards some how geting corrupt bios's...now for an explination or possible reason why this is happening consistantly, i dont know, i am a hardware man, not software, but this is the ONLY link i am drawing from everthing i read!!!!!!!!!!! What all ya opinions on this,,, also,, i am some how thinking a new bios, or revised bios version is not gonna be the answer. Maybe a DFI person can comment on the BIOS chips that are being used compared to other manfactures?? I know that from looking on some aussie web sites. ive only evea seen a DFI NF4 Bios available for seperate sale...so is this the issue, ??????? but if it is, will DFI admit to it???? I hope i am not stepping on anyones feet or saying sumfin that DFI for example will take offensive, but this is what i am drawing from reading in many forums ad my personal experience!!!

I had my NForce2 Ultra (Revision A) board for 2 years and it was rock solid the whole time (updated the BIOS 2/3 times as they were released). While I admit it could be a dodgy BIOS issue with these boards, the PSU issue seems more likely because when the PC boots fine it is completely stable in whatever I do (e.g. long gaming sessions).

This morning I tried booting and I got the usual 3 LEDs and beep error so I turned off the PSU rocker and pressed the power button on the PC and could hear a power discharge noise which I am guessing is the charge left after the last shutdown. I could buy another PSU and test my system using it but I don't really fancy shelling out another £70-£80 for a suitable PSU after emptying my wallet on my new PC just a couple of weeks ago. I was going to get a Thermaltake 520W modular PSU but OCUK didn't have any in stock so I opted for the Hiper one instead.

I still dont see how u all say its a power supply problem... all you people seem to have the EXPERT. i dont.. plus i have used a generic 350 watt 20$ psu., same prob, and i have used a 400 watt FSP 70$ aus psu

Exactly, read the thread title, this thread is about the cold-boot issues with the Expert boards and many/most of them are related to the PSU. Obviously you have a different board and a different problem...start a new post.