Sign in to follow this  
scottR

NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

Add me to the list. I got my Expert on Monday and found out mine had this issue the first time I had to hit the power button during setup. It sucks, it's not real confidence inspiring. I doubt I'll be sending it back though, as I don't see another one being any different. I believe my revision is AD0, but it's kinda hard to read. Having to hit the rocker on my psu isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it looks like I have a bum sata port on my SIL3114 as well. The Expert solved some problems, created others over my SLI-DR. Cool logo.

fix problem .22uf cap (soldered via case power button)

mae sure polarity is correct(very imortant) fix problem (5-10) before power up via button on second startup.

try a 1000uf cap- does not work..

maybe bounce ? maybe other problem.

.1 uf tryed .22 uf gave better resaults. :angel:

mine is still with Bulldog being repaired and tested, hopefully ill have the board back soon.

once i know exactly wats been replaced ill post up wat my issue was.

please be aware that my issue and hopeful fix will be exactly that my fix specific to my board and problem.

i dont think u can make a sweeping fix as all boards may have very different issues

Here's some interesting info I found on the Antec site.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/powertester_Manual.pdf

------

The Power Supply Tester works with the newest ATX12V and EPS12V power supplies that come with a 24-pin power connector. It is also backwards compatible with previous form factor power supplies that come with a 20-pin power connector. Simply plug in the power supply's main power connector to test the five individual outputs (+5V, +3.3V, +12V, -12V and +5V Standby) and the Power Good signal at the same time.

------

The most interesting bit of information comes in section 4 of the instructions.

------

Output Indicators in Green + Power Fault light up: Faulty power supply. Your power supply Power Good signal is bad. A power supply with a "failed" Power Good signal won't boot up your system but will probably turn on your system fans.

------

EDIT:

Does that sound like some of the "cold boot" issues we've seen with some rigs listed in this thread?

ExRoadie that does sound similar to the issue I have except that the system self powers off quickly (by power supply lockdown?)- about one or two seconds.

By the way, do you know if I can obtain information from DFI concerning my rma #DFI-4254? The same board I sent out came back, no paperwork or explanation as to what was done and no obvious signs of any repair. Kind of left me hanging since it exhibits the same problem it was rma'ed for...

Here's some interesting info I found on the Antec site.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/powertester_Manual.pdf

------

SNIP

------

Output Indicators in Green + Power Fault light up: Faulty power supply. Your power supply Power Good signal is bad. A power supply with a "failed" Power Good signal won't boot up your system but will probably turn on your system fans.

------

Does that sound like the "cold boot" issue we've seen with some rigs listed in this thread?

Interesting, I just ordered one of these yesterday as I don't have a spare PSU or MB sitting around to test things out on. PSU tested fine at the local shop, but I need something a little more immeadiate to do my own testing.

It doesn't really sound like the issue I was having as everything only flashes on (i.e. it does turn on everything including fans but only for a second or less). It could be what some others are seeing though.

I have a replacement board coming Monday and this should show up Tuesday. I would have been ok with the cold boot issue if it just required a flip of the rocker switch and waiting 5-10 seconds. However, mine seemed to be extreme and was making me wait up to 45 minutes...can't live with that.

I will let you know what this says about my PSU and how the new board interacts with my PSU. Here's hoping for even a 'normal' cold boot issue :nod:

DFIUSA is the only source of info you will have on the RMA issue.

ExRoadie that does sound similar to the issue I have except that the system self powers off quickly (by power supply lockdown?)- about one or two seconds.

By the way, do you know if I can obtain information from DFI concerning my rma #DFI-4254? The same board I sent out came back, no paperwork or explanation as to what was done and no obvious signs of any repair. Kind of left me hanging since it exhibits the same problem it was rma'ed for...

My cold booting probs went away after updating bios to "2005/12/07" version. Previously had to toggle PS switch to fix. Not sure which revision my Expert is?

Hi Everyone.

I seem to have the same cold boot probs as some people here.

Just got my board this weekend and noticed the problem during the initial build. I then spent most of the weekend searching the web for answers and came across this forum.

I've read this thread and many others from end to end, it seems not everyone here has the same problems but there are more posts with problems like mine in this thread than any other so I thought I'd to post here.

To be specific my symptoms are as follows:

Stone cold boot works fine, i.e.:

1) Start from no power at all, (the PSU is unplugged and the MB standby power LED is off)

2) Power up the PSU -> MB standby power LED comes on

3) Press either the MB power switch or the case power switch -> Machine powers up fine.

Cold boot fails all the time, i.e.:

1) Start from power supplied to the MB after a previous shutdown. (MB standby power LED is on and it doesn't seem to matter whether the previous shutdown was from windows or from the power button on the case or MB.)

3) Press either the MB or the case power switch -> Machine powers up for about 1 second then powers down again.

However the above cold boot succeeds ALL THE TIME if I tap either the MB power switch or the case switch very quickly.

I've tried lots of different configs and BIOS settings with no change to the above behaviour.

The fact that this problem shows up when you press the power switch and not when you quickly tap it makes me wonder if this problem may be more widespread, (initially I thought the problem was an intermittent one as I often just tap the power button on a machine to get it started up, but more careful testing shows the problem is 100% consistent).

Like many people I'm debating whether to return the board, but if this is a common problem I don't want to go through the return procedure only to get another with the same symptoms. At the end of the day this is just a minor inconvenience to me but I'm worried that it may be an indicator that there is something more serious wrong with the board that I may only discover when it is too late to return it.

Other than the cold boot issue the board seems rock solid stable on it's default settings, (I've been running [email protected] continuously on both cores for days without a single glitch). The only other worrying thing is that SiSoft Sandra Lite 2005.SR3 kills the machine when I try to run some of the modules. e.g. just running the Environment Monitor Wizard makes the machine power down as if I've pressed the case power button.

Does anyone else have this problem with Sandra? I know Sandra can crash on some hardware configs but it's the first time I've seen a board spontaneously power down with no warning. I'm curious to know whether this is a known issue with the motherboard or any other components.

i had the problem:

1. cold boot (psu on): would hang at loading ram screen

If i reset here, would boot normally

2. warm restart in windows, would randomly hang at loadup

If i reset when it hung, would boot normally

this would happen 100% of the time. I tried changing ram to some older corsair value

WORKED FINE

so it got me thinking (i was using 2*1gb mushkin samsung xp4000 uccc chips when i had the problems and running latest bios from www.dfi.com)

what if i try new ram+ old ram together = WORK FINE ( old ram in orange slots), but who the hell uses 3gb of ram! (+this error crap was giving me the sh1ts big time)

ive spent ~ 1 week trying to fix it

finally i flashed my bios to the 2nd latest one...23/6 (23rd july) version

and everything works fine now!..same ram settings...same everythig, jus diff bios...so WIERD!!

so i dunno..try the bios version

The "cold boot" issue would not let you get to the "loading ram" area of POST.

You have a stability problem with your RAM.

i had the problem:

1. cold boot (psu on): would hang at loading ram screen

If i reset here, would boot normally

2. warm restart in windows, would randomly hang at loadup

If i reset when it hung, would boot normally

this would happen 100% of the time. I tried changing ram to some older corsair value

WORKED FINE

so it got me thinking (i was using 2*1gb mushkin samsung xp4000 uccc chips when i had the problems and running latest bios from www.dfi.com)

what if i try new ram+ old ram together = WORK FINE ( old ram in orange slots), but who the hell uses 3gb of ram! (+this error crap was giving me the sh1ts big time)

ive spent ~ 1 week trying to fix it

finally i flashed my bios to the 2nd latest one...23/6 (23rd july) version

and everything works fine now!..same ram settings...same everythig, jus diff bios...so WIERD!!

so i dunno..try the bios version

I'm having the same problem ... well had !!!

Yes i resolved it by lowering Ram Voltage (in my case from 2.87 to 2.8(default one)

Maybe my ram have a little stability problem while booting at that higher voltage ....

(on tests it was rock solid)

Hope this helps somebody.

(got a question about voltages but i'll read a little more before posting)