NF4 Expert will not cold boot- psu issue?

This is interesting because it took three tries to load windows without error- the first time I got a blue screen during file copy (similar to normal windows ram error blue screens) after a file failed to copy. The second time I skipped the failed copy file and it screwed windows administrative functions. Third time was smooth- no error no problems at all except cold boot bugs.

The diagnostic leds also act strangely on cold boot- the sequence goes down to three lit leds then flashes back to 4 right before self power off. I'm guessing that ram voltagemay be too low at cold boot and is causing the board to not detect ram and power off.

Hopefully this is not killing my ram or cpu- I'll be p.o.'ed if it does. All my spare cash is tied up in this new machine!

Thanks for the input Undesirable, I may have to bite the bullet and try a different ps to see if the problem abates.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno bout OCZ psu, but what I know from my friends is Enermax problem is not so compatible with DFI board. I had DFI SLI D and I always had problem like u have now. Now I'm using DFI eXpert and I really hope I have luck this time.

However I already face one problem in booting my expert :(

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...?t=82319&page=5

The diagnostic leds also act strangely on cold boot- the sequence goes down to three lit leds then flashes back to 4 right before self power off. I'm guessing that ram voltagemay be too low at cold boot and is causing the board to not detect ram and power off.

It would only power on for about 5 milliseconds after a cold boot for me. No diagnostic LEDs would stay fully lit; they would all just quickly flash red at once and the board switched off. I would hear a clicking noise emitted from the Enermax Liberty PSU every time I tried to power on too.

Something else: the board WOULD power on when I removed the graphics card after the cold boot problem had occured. After I had waited a certain cooldown period of time it would switch on normally again with everything installed.

Everything is perfect with my new Hiper PSU, even though it is rated slightly less than the Enermax for voltage. I can turn on and off at will - nice. :P

Another guy here with this problem. My first SLI-DR Expert died and took my beloved 0530TPMW with it, and the 2nd one does not turn on if I use the front power switch to turn it off. Only a full power disconnection takes care of the problem. At this point I'm becoming very disappointed with Expert... never had a single problem with my Ultra-D, ever.

Quick and dirty test of my OCZ powersteam psu passed- shorted green and black wires, turns on every time.

I'm thinking this may be a bios setting problem or a bios version in need of revision. Hopefully this will not turn out to be an rma issue.

Quick and dirty test of my OCZ powersteam psu passed- shorted green and black wires, turns on every time.

I'm thinking this may be a bios setting problem or a bios version in need of revision. Hopefully this will not turn out to be an rma issue.

I certainly hope so. I don't want to RMA the 2nd board... I might not bother buying another one.

Hey guys, great forum here!

Interesting problem with my new NF4 expert setup- see my sig for specs. Initially the system powered up and I was able to enter the bios on the first try. I did some bios adjustments (date, time, usb mouse support etc.), rebooted then manually powered off to hook up peripherals and get ready to load an OS. When I attempted to turn it back on the system powered up briefly, just long enough for the diagnostic leds to light up and fans to spin for about 1-2 seconds, then it powered off on its own.

The system will continue to do this unless I disconnect the power cord from the psu, then turn the rocker switch off and back on. When I pull the cord and hit the switch I can hear a faint "leaking" sound (high pitched lasting about 2 seconds). Put the plug back in and it powers up just fine.

The system seems stable once it is up- I haven't tried gaming or otherwise power intensive use yet. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem? Do I have a bad psu?

i think i have the same issue with my setup... take a look at my post:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36041

we both have the ocz powerstreams, except mine is obviously a bit lower :(

if you come up with any ideas, let me know... i have heard that they need a dual rail 12v on the psu, but yours is supposed to have that right>? forgive me if im wrong, im jsut a newb here in need of some help.. i usually use the amdmb forums but i cant get any help so i reposted here..

Update: Tested my board with a cheap Raidmax 420w psu. With this power supply I can shut down from windows and successfully cold boot, but if I power down with the case switch after post it will not cold boot. WTF???