NF4 Ultra-D OCed my Air Cooling Worked

mcpdigital

Hey,

I'm just posting to say thank you for all the nice tips and information that led me to the mods below. I want to share my results so check the mods and the temps drops I got with each one.

System (Brief, check sig):

Lanparty Ultra-D, Athlon 64 3800+ X2 @ 2520MHz, Dual 1GB OCZ EL Platinum PC3200@ 210MHz, ATI X850XT PE stock speeds

Case: CollerMaster Centurion 530

Intake: 1 x 120mm front bottom, 1 x 80mm front mid (in a 5.25 in. bay), 1 x 80mm side window

Outtake: 1 x 120mm back and the Enermax 350W dual fans at max speed.

Internals: 2 x small (30mm ?) fans one for the chipset and other to the heat spreaders

This coolermaster case is well ventilated with air flowing free on the entire front panel through the bays.

Room Temp: 24 C, Loaded = Prime95 afinity mode (X2)

<<<>>>

- PWMIC mods

Added one small fan over the 3 silver heat spreaders that sit close to the CPU + 80mm fan for front intake in the midle of the tower, blowing the heat spreaders and the chipset fan.

Results:

before: 42 C idle, 58 C loaded

after: 34 C idle, 50 C loaded

Chipset mods

Replaced full speed stock cooler with the evercool vc-re using Akasa AK-45 Silver based thermal compound and added a small fan blowing the chipset from the 3.5 in. bay.

Results:

before: 44 C idle, 56 C loaded

after: 37 C idle, 41 C loaded

CPU mods

After replacing the thermal compound and putting the stock to run at maximum, the next step was a replacement. I choose TT Polo 735 and set it to 4100 rpm so

the noise is not louder than the rest of the system. I like the idea that I can take some more juice from the cooler even if this means noise.

Results:

before: 42 C idle, 60 C loaded (aborted prime)

after: 32 C idle, 51 C loaded

Marcelo

Guest Dynamic

mcpdigital,

Good job first off, but can't understand how your temps can go up that high unless you don't have a side case fan. Another thing i wanted to point out, it looks like a typo for your VDIMM Voltage on your sig. You got 1.6v, you probably meant 2.6v hehe...take care.

Guest Dynamic

Now you've posted this yesterday and i hope you're using the Catalyst 5.13 drivers that just came out yesterday as well. I think you should install it and do another bench with 2k1SE and see what you get since that driver enhances your Dual Core processor much better than the 5.12, GL!

mcpdigital,

Good job first off, but can't understand how your temps can go up that high unless you don't have a side case fan. Another thing i wanted to point out, it looks like a typo for your VDIMM Voltage on your sig. You got 1.6v, you probably meant 2.6v hehe...take care.

The 60 C made me worry for sure, thats why I stopped Prime, and the VDIMM is 2.6v, you're right.

I achieved the 60 C because was using stock cooler and thermal paste and I live in a pretty hot country with temps around 25 or higher. That makes a lot of difference on the High temps.

thanks for the commentes

Marcelo

Now you've posted this yesterday and i hope you're using the Catalyst 5.13 drivers that just came out yesterday as well. I think you should install it and do another bench with 2k1SE and see what you get since that driver enhances your Dual Core processor much better than the 5.12, GL!

thanks for the tip, I will do that ASAP.

Marcelo

Done already, new 3DMark 2001 SE 27569, good score.

thanks,

Wow, your CPU reached 60 C. Did you poop your pants when you saw that lol? What thermal compound are you using?

Scarry isn't it, I'm a brave hot country OC. This is hard, you can wonder working today at 27 C, still with the new cooling I'm under 35 C idle nd 45 Loaded.

Marcelo