SPDIF onboard help

DirkBelig, ther's jumper J52. Default set is for Realtek.

So you can get SPDIF out only with Realtek drivers.

If you need SPDIF out with nVidia drivers you'll need to change jumper to 2-3

Check your manual page 42.

You'll always get only stereo from SPDIF if the input signal is only stereo.

You'll get 5.1 sound only from 6-channel AC3 signal.

Soundstorm on NF2 motherboards was the only sound card capable to made 6-channel SPDIF signal from stereo signal. Even newest Soundblasters are still way beyond Soundstorm.

Well, well...we have a winner (though that makes me a loser.)

Switched the jumper and BAM!!! the coax works...BUT....when I run the Speaker Wizard, it just has me pick which output is working and then dumps to saying it only has 2 speakers. Checked the Sound Devices menu in Windoze and it was set to 5.1 and the same in NVMixer. Switching to the analog inputs of the Z-680s allows the Wizard to run the whole thing with the individual speakers, etc.

Well, this kinda sucks. Man, Soundstorm really spoiled the hell outta me. I was looking at the X-Fi this afternoon and it doesn't have the S/PDIF out except on the Platinum's drive bay interface and I can't run a cable out of there to the speakers.

Even newest Soundblasters are still way beyond Soundstorm.

Did you mean "behind"? :confused:

I'm so used to seeing the Dolby and DTS signal input displays on the speakers head unit. Waahh!

Is there a performance advantage to using one or the other?

Thanks, even though it was bad news. The manual was unclear that the S/PDIF wouldn't work without the jumper being moved.

Yes, the right word is "behind"? :angel:

Sorry, my english is not so good. I'm working on improving it.

I useing SPDIF only for watching DVD or DivX with AC3 sound.

For stereo signals (MP3, Audio CD, ...) I still useing analog outputs. For me that's the only way to get sound to all 6 speakers.

Problem is that analog outputs are very bad quality with the NF4 onboard sound cards. With Realtek drivers quality is little better than with nVidia drivers.

So I still useing SB Audigy 2 card.

I guess I'm just used to having the convenience of the SoundStorm Dolby. I never understood why Nvidia just let it drop and never took on Creative in the sound card arena. Sure, it was a bonus from their Xbox R&D, but come on.

I'll be picking up an X-Fi somewhere down the line, I suppose. Maybe when there's a sale which drops the price sub-$100 or they bundle in some games. The Audigy 2 ZS Gamer comes with FIVE titles. Sure, they're not all winners, but 5 freebies is better than a kick in the head.

Thanks for helping clear this up. Cheers!

EDIT: I was looking at this tonight at a Media Play that's going out of business. The Turtle Beach Montego Dolby Digital Live It's gotten some praise around. If it drops below $50, I may give it a shot, though I'll need to get a TOSlink cable. Drat. Those = $$$

I remember, nVidia says something like that about Soundstorm:

"90% users don't need so powerfull sound cards"

Of course real reason is money as always. Why would nVidia spend more money for sound if AC97 is good for 90% of all users.

But I don't understand why the hell Creative don't put SPDIF-out in the main card. SPDIF out is always on I/O Drive or Digital I/O Module.