Lanparty NF3 Ultra bios problem

I recently purchased A DFI Lanparty nForce3 Ultra mainbord for Socket 939. After I installed it I tried to overclock it a bit. I failed because my two sata disks were connected to port 1 & 2 (which aren't locked). So I removed my videocard and connected my sata disks to port 3 & 4.

From here on things start to get weird...

When I tried to boot my pc didn't post. After a couple of tries, I cleared the cmos. After this my pc did boot correctly. But when I entered the bios, I saw that my HTT was set to 353mhz instead of the normal 200mhz! So I chose the "set everything to default" option + save & exit. Rebooted. Everythings fine, but... if I change one thing in the bios (like bootorder, time & date, set my memory setting correctly, increase my agp frequency by 1 mhz or whatever), after save & exit my htt is set back to 353mhz. It doesn't matter what I do, if I change just one little thing my htt is back to 353. I simply don't know what's going on here.

I tried flashing my bios, but no result.

I powered my pc down and unhooked the powersupply for an hour with no result.

I simply don't know what to do anymore!!!!

My setup:

AMD Opteron 146

DFI Lanparty nForce3 Ultra 939 (S/N: NF3UD1-100RAB0) with the latest bios

Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample

Tagan EasyCon 530W

2x Corsair XMS3200C2Pro

Maxtor Diamondmax 10 160 GB SATA

Maxtor Diamondmax 9 80 GB SATA

Western Digital 120 GB ATA

ThermalTake Big Typhoon

I hope somebody can help me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stef@n, First off use the following procedure to flash new BIOS. I would reccomend that you start with the 711 bios as I noticed a few others with success using this bios version with Opteron. Also if you have trouble posting, I would reccomend you disconnect the SATA drives, until you can get the system stable enough to change bios settings, and then add them in later.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...cmos#post317242

Also a few other things to be aware of...

- This board under volts VCORE, if you are not using +0.x voltage adjustments. If you are it overvolts. Check the table in the tweeks sticky attached, and use the tables to set the proper VCORE. Since I am not that familiar with Opteron, check around for what others are using. When I started OC'g my venice I used 1.425 +0.1v

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...361&postcount=6

Also check you vdimm, you may have to bump that up a bit as well.

Post back with your results...

i will share my experience. First off I use WinFlash 1.51 to chance bios. it really is a simple procedure to do. You first open it up, check UPDATE ALL, also check clear cmos. then you load the bios, then hit update bios. and that is it.

I will also say the only problem I have encountered is that, upon initial boot after changing the bios I will have no problem booting up and getting into windows. Yet when I try to change anything in the bios and save it the PC will not boot ie..(no post). to fix this, for some odd reason, I need to bring the CPU multiplier down to 8. once I do this I start to be able to change and save, and be able to boot afterwards.

Also I believe everyone recommends the 8/24 bios for opterons. I am using this with my 146. I got a noticeable improvement with it so im sticking with it.

First of all: Adreno & Kapster thanx for your help!!

After trying to flash a beta bios yesterday (12/19, stupid, stupid,stupid!!!!!) my pc wouldn't post anymore. After I cleared my cmos, I could boot into windows. Decided to flash back to the 711 bios. Now everthing is back as when I started. Still the stupid reset to the high HTT setting. (btw this was before I had any feedback on my problem)

So now I disconnected my sata drives (Wendell from DFI, Holland also suggested to disconnect the sata drives). Rebooted. Tadaa, every change I make is saved. At this point i'm quite a happy camper. So I connect my sata drives again. Works perfectly. Got into Windows and all. Just to be sure I rebooted and raised my agp frequency by 1 mhz. Heee, we got a HTT of 353 again!!

I'm getting a little frustrated now. I decided to disconnect my sata drives again. But now I connected my sata boot drive to port 4 instead of port 3. This did the trick. As long as nothing is connected to sata port 3 I can change whatever I want in the bios, without it setting the htt back to high.

I'm currently priming my Opteron at 260x10 (1.475vcore) and my rig seems rocksolid know (superPI 32M test passed) :D. After I'm done OC'ing I'll connect the remaining sata disk.

I hope this is the only strange problem I encounter. The problems different users have with this board are not perticularly comforting! I hope DFI can release a good bios that fixes most of these problems...

SATA Port 1&2 are not locked so I would not reccomend you use either of them if you plan on doing any OC'g. Use SATA ports 3&4 and you should be fine.

BTW, interesting that when you do not connect SATA port 1 you can save settings. There is a known problem saving settings with some of the earlier BIOS, changing the time, and few other things. It would seem to be related to SATA connected only to port 1, which is probably why I have never seen this as I use ports 3&4 only.

Glad to see you are making some progress.

Cheers!

First of all: Adreno & Kapster thanx for your help!!

After trying to flash a beta bios yesterday (12/19, stupid, stupid,stupid!!!!!) my pc wouldn't post anymore. After I cleared my cmos, I could boot into windows. Decided to flash back to the 711 bios. Now everthing is back as when I started. Still the stupid reset to the high HTT setting. (btw this was before I had any feedback on my problem)

So now I disconnected my sata drives (Wendell from DFI, Holland also suggested to disconnect the sata drives). Rebooted. Tadaa, every change I make is saved. At this point i'm quite a happy camper. So I connect my sata drives again. Works perfectly. Got into Windows and all. Just to be sure I rebooted and raised my agp frequency by 1 mhz. Heee, we got a HTT of 353 again!!

I'm getting a little frustrated now. I decided to disconnect my sata drives again. But now I connected my sata boot drive to port 2 instead of port 1. This did the trick. As long as nothing is connected to sata port 1 I can change whatever I want in the bios, without it setting the htt back to high.

I'm currently priming my Opteron at 260x10 (1.475vcore) and my rig seems rocksolid know (superPI 32M test passed) :D. After I'm done OC'ing I'll connect the remaining sata disk.

I hope this is the only strange problem I encounter. The problems different users have with this board are not perticularly comforting! I hope DFI can release a good bios that fixes most of these problems...

Simple, I see you have 2 Maxtor drives :) I had almost the same problem I think. I had one WD 74GB Raptor, One 200GB Serial ATA Maxtor Diamond MAX10 and one 160GB IDE Maxtor. I did not have those saving issues and that HTT 353 issue. The thing was that everything seemed perfect except for one thing... Each time I turned off my computer it would not boot when I turned it on again. Only if I turned my powersupply off and on again it would boot. In other words I had to remove the standby power.

At the end it turned out to be my Maxtor Drive who was making that bug. I switched it with a 200GB WD from my secondary system and all ran well. So stay away from Maxtor Serial ATA drives on this motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new user of the NF3 Ultra-d I was having this same problems re saving BIOS changes when using sata ports 3&4 Here is the complete solution as advised by Rgone who is a Super moderator of this forum.

www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=317242&postcount=5692

Basically you have to disconnect power leads only to your SATA drives on port 3&4 before any BIOS change . Power off , remove leads . Power up to BIOS . Make the changes , save, restart then power down. Reconnect the drives and reboot. May seem odd but it works every time If you have any IDE drives connected remove power leads as well and reconnect after you have successfully booted up from SATA drives .

Happy overclocking

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | Opteron 146 CABNE 0545@ 2.7GHz | 2x512K Patriot PC3200 XBL | ATI X800XT PE| 2x120G Maxtor Diamond SATA| | Antec Sonata| Hiper 580w PSU| Arxtic Freezer 64 Pro