NF4 Ultra-D & X1800 XL, HELP!

ok, so i just bought an ATI X1800 XL to replace my ATI X700 PRO. the first thing i noticed was the size difference. upon install i also realized that the X1800 was painfully close to the chipset fan. i didn't think it would be an issue; that is until i tried playing a couple games. for the most part they ran fine, except for the skipping. framerates would be smooth one minute, then crappy the next (but only for a second). it's kind of like a song skipping. i then installed ATItool and noticed the temp. sitting around 61'C. then i tried to use ATItool to check for artifacts, of which it found many. it wouldn't go a couple of seconds without a beep.

to make a long story short, i believe the video card is running too hot due inpart to its proximity to the chipset fan. i was wondering if there are any fixes for this that won't result in a performance decrease. i was also curious if the heat could be causing the skipping ingame. thanks for any and all help that i'm sure is on the way.

i emailed ati and they offered no help whatsoever. they chalked it up to hardware limitations, which i doubt because even on low graphical settings the card skips. that also wouldn't explain the artifacts. does anyone have any other ideas?

i'm currently using the onboard sound with the nvidia drivers. as i stated before, when i had an x700 installed everything ran fine, including the artifact checker. i mean, i could go out and spend another $200 on a sound card that i shouldn't need, but i'd really rather not. there doesn't seem to be an issue with the sound. ATItool doesn't use sound, so that couldn't explain the artifacts. so basically my two major problems are the skipping within a game and the artifacts i'm finding in ATItool (possibly temperature induced).

I'd RMA that gfx card. if you're running it on stock, it should not artifact at all by design. my 7800gtx get upwards of 80C under load and it never artifacts... i can't oc it at all, but it doesn't artifact.

that's a sign of a defective card, especially if your previous one worked fine. BTW, you did uninstall and reinstall the ATI Cat drivers right?

i've a 7800GTX which also huge and very close to the chipset fan. look at my temps in the sign. driver versions mentioned too. they are normal. they did drop down by 4c when i put in the nv silencer. max GPU temp was 65c.

i've a similar problem goin on still. but it's with only one game DCfinal. my video and sound gets distorted after a while the system is up for say 4 or 5 hours. when i restart, the problem goes away. bf2 worked. cod2 works great after the issue popped up with DCfinal. since other games are okay, i guess the gtx is okay (so waited to install the nv silencer). someone told me that it might be the onboard sound card. i got my sound card today. i would put it and check if the issue goes away. i have not checked for artifacts using a tool for the GTX. can anyone help me there??

in your case, all games are playin that way.

my 61'C is idle. i haven't really seen what it gets to under load. it is in most games as far as i can tell. it's not very evident in Need For Speed: Most Wanted. however, it is very evident in FEAR, Half Life 2, and Battlefield 2. the first game i tested was BF2, and at first i thought it was just lag... however it didn't seem like lag to me, it was somehow different. it does the same thing in FEAR and Half Life 2.

You don't think it might be a PSU issue? A X1800XT will probably be a hungry beast, thus you might experience a fluctuation in the current of voltage and the videocard - all the system actually - might suffer from this. Just a thought.

i doubt it's the power supply. it's a brand new Antec Neopower 2 450W. besides that, i have the XL and not the XT. i have a light load on the PSU; 1 HD, 1 Optical, 1 GFX Card, no sound, etc. also, 61'C seems a little high for idle.