Thermal Compounds and such

Guest taG_merged

Just a quick question. Since my CPU Zalman is shipping from CA( THE ONLY PART OF MY COMP TO SHIP FROM THERE....) And all my other parts are shipping from NJ and TN. (I live in VA) I think it'll take an extra 1-2 days for it to get here. So with installing the stock i'll use the one AMD gave, and then clean it off. My question is, can u just use 71% alcohol to clean it or is 91% really reccomended. Also anyone with experience with the Zalman CNPS 7XXX series. Can you install it without removing your mobo?

Lol.. I know this is a bad question.

The higher the alcohol purity the better; 99% is recommended but that's hard to find. You can also use mineral spirits AKA paint thinner. For thermal compound I've had good luck with Arctic Silver 5; application instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Even if you don't use Arctic Silver 5 their instructions are superb.

If your using going to use a Zalman HFS you will most likely need to remove the MB. The best time to add a Zalman is when you're first building your rig; there is a metal strip that you attach to the opposite side of the board, under the ZIF socket, that adds rigidity to the MB.

The higher the alcohol purity the better; 99% is recommended but that's hard to find. You can also use mineral spirits AKA paint thinner. For thermal compound I've had good luck with Arctic Silver 5; application instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Even if you don't use Arctic Silver 5 their instructions are superb.

If your using going to use a Zalman HFS you will most likely need to remove the MB. The best time to add a Zalman is when you're first building your rig; there is a metal strip that you attach to the opposite side of the board, under the ZIF socket, that adds rigidity to the MB.

I didnt even know they had 99% .. i thought 91% was the highest.